123-reg any good for hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

In the interest of my recent hosting woes, and ongoing issues with moving domains on the same data center, I have been advised by a genuinely helpful support chap to use 123-reg for hosting. I have used them for years for domain reg with no issues, are they as reliable for hosting?

I've got a lot of domains with 123-reg and I'm gradually moving them elsewhere, there have been a lot of problems with their domain system in the last year or two.

I've not used them for hosting, but I used to use Webfusion (one of their brands) around 12-13 years ago, and moved away because the server was so slow, and their support was rubbish. I guess things could have changed since then if they're still in business.

What do you want the hosting for?
Linux/windows?
How many sites?

I've got a lot of domains with 123-reg and I'm gradually moving them elsewhere, there have been a lot of problems with their domain system in the last year or two.

I've not used them for hosting, but I used to use Webfusion (one of their brands) around 12-13 years ago, and moved away because the server was so slow, and their support was rubbish. I guess things could have changed since then if they're still in business.

What do you want the hosting for?
Linux/windows?
How many sites?

1 site, linux needs mysql. I use Falcoda for my other sites with no issues but whoever hosted our domain in the past has still got a reference on the data center and won't remove it. There are ways round it but they take up to 7 days and we need an immediate fix. Falcoda said 123 aren't on the same data center so will be fine.

We only get 10/15 views a day so really low traffic so speed isn't a huge issue and it's a WordPress site so nothing mega.

Oh, web fusion ran the site before I arrived and moved it away from them, they charge a small fortune for school sites for very little.

Last edited:
Hello Matt_B,

My name is James and I work at 123-reg

Jeff has kindly given me permission to post here.

I can see that you have enquired about using the hosting service with 123-reg and I am more than happy to answer any specific questions that you may have.

Regards,

James

Hello Matt_B,

My name is James and I work at 123-reg

Jeff has kindly given me permission to post here.

I can see that you have enquired about using the hosting service with 123-reg and I am more than happy to answer any specific questions that you may have.

Regards,

James

We've signed up today, your chance to prove it a good choice ;)

Oh you can help actually. Our plan has 150mb MySQL space, the sql backup of out dba was just over 5mb. Is this a correct comparison in that we have plenty of scope for growth?!

Last edited:
Over the years I've spent around £5,000 with 123-reg, and I used to recommend them, but not any more.

Some of the problems I've had in the last couple of years.

There have been a couple of major outages with their DNS system, leaving sites unavailable for long periods of time.

On at least three occasions, domains that were set to auto renew, with payment details all up to date, were not renewed. This is despite 123-reg sending advance notice that they would be renewed. On each occasion I only found out after receiving an email from Nominet telling me the domain had expired.

On one occasion they took the money for an automatic two year domain renewal twice. Then they refunded one of the payments. But they only renewed the domain for one year and I had to contact them so they would give me what I'd paid for.

Four automatic renewals in the space of two days had the money taken, and I received emails from 123-reg telling me they'd been renewed. Then I received an email from Nominet telling me they'd expired. I had to contact 123-reg to get this sorted out.

When Talking Balls moved to a new server in December I changed the DNS settings in the 123-reg control panel to point to the new IP address. The control panel told me this had been done, but 123-reg didn't actually change it on their servers, which made the site unavailable. I fixed this by moving talkingballs.co.uk away from 123-reg.

I use their email forwarding on some domains. Sometimes emails that are sent to me via these domains don't arrive. I suspect this is due to them being flagged as spam. There's no way to turn off the spam filter, and no way of seeing which emails have been flagged as spam.

I use 1and1 for work and home and have never had a major problem like Jeff describes. Couple of minor hiccough's but nothing that caused me any concern.

Couple of minor hiccough's

That spelling of hiccup always makes my eyebrows meet in the middle, especially when it has an added apostrophe thrown in for good measure

That spelling of hiccup always makes my eyebrows meet in the middle, especially when it has an added apostrophe thrown in for good measure

You need a good shock or a glass of water drunk upside down!

Hello Matt_B,

Thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that after the 5mb backup has been uploaded onto the server, the remaining amount of the 145mb will be available for you to use.

Jeff – I am keen to look into the issues you have mentioned to discover if this was a temporary bug in the system which has now been resolved and to check if there are any further changes or improvements we could make to prevent any re-occurrences If you could send me over some details of your account such as a domain name or support ticket I will be able to start checking these. In regards to the DNS issue can you confirm the dates, even roughly? Again I would like to check the root cause of cause and ensure a full resolution has been put in place.

Here at 123-reg we are consistently working to improve our systems. Within the last year we have released a new order process and refreshed features within the 123-reg control panel , one such example is the hosting management page which provides better functionality and user experience, and we are still working on new updates which we hope to release in the near future. We value feedback from our customers and are happy to receive it as this helps us to identify the areas which matter to customers and make the changes they really want.

I will be passing on your feedback regarding the spam filtering for email forwarding to our development team so this can be used when considering any future changes to the system. I am not sure how you have your spam levels set currently, however if you did want me to take a look and see if there are any alterations I can suggest which would help you I would be more than happy to.

If you have any further suggestions or concerns you would like to raise or discuss further, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572