14 nights holiday - departing flight: 23.59

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

Hi everybody,

Have any of you ever been on a 14 night holiday where the flight departs from the UK at 23.59 and gets back at about 6.30?

How does this work because I've seen reports that this is a bit of a scam and for the last night of the holiday, you have to pay for an extra night in the place you are staying because the first night of the 14 is classed as the night of your departure flight.

One site says the following:

Important note about night flights:</B> When travelling on night flights, the first night at the hotel begins from the day your flight departs, and the last night ends the day before your return flight date. If you wish to extend your stay to have access to your room until your due check-in time on your return flight, please specify this when booking.

Has anyone suffered at the hands of this scam?

Hi everybody,

Have any of you ever been on a 14 night holiday where the flight departs from the UK at 23.59 and gets back at about 6.30?

How does this work because I've seen reports that this is a bit of a scam and for the last night of the holiday, you have to pay for an extra night in the place you are staying because the first night of the 14 is classed as the night of your departure flight.

One site says the following:

Important note about night flights:</B> When travelling on night flights, the first night at the hotel begins from the day your flight departs, and the last night ends the day before your return flight date. If you wish to extend your stay to have access to your room until your due check-in time on your return flight, please specify this when booking.

Has anyone suffered at the hands of this scam?

Happened to us at Skegness once.

Campsite run by Gypsies.

It's not a scam, but the hotelier has to charge you for your room up until the point you want to leave and also have it ready for the moment you arive - based on rooms normally being available from 11am, it means you would have yours for the full duration.

Best policy is never use a travel agent, I haven't for years and have no problems with holidays in the EU, New Zealand, US etc. Deal with hotels direct and you'll get the best prices, same goes for the airlines.

Best policy is never use a travel agent, I haven't for years and have no problems with holidays in the EU, New Zealand, US etc. Deal with hotels direct and you'll get the best prices, same goes for the airlines.

doesnt that work out more expensive than using say a travel agent??

It never has for me, this year I got 2 return flights to florida in July for £63 each (OK I admit I used some mileage points), 4 nights in the Hilton at Cocoa Beach for £60 a night a full size car (read massive american gas guzzler) from Hertz for £190 for 8 days including a tank a fuel.

I travel a lot for work and am always able to beat our corporate travel agents 'budget' flight prices, travel agents are generally a massive rip off.

Last edited:

I've done my last two holidays that way, and our Trip to NY in December.

Find a flight, find a hotel, find transport. It usually works out cheaper. A little more hassle than a Travel Agent but it's worth it IMO.

no, ring round and find out

travel (and estate) agents are middlemen wankers

always ring the hotel directly and ask for prices, what have you got to lose, they all speak english and you do it from your work phone :)

no, ring round and find out

travel (and estate) agents are middlemen wankers

always ring the hotel directly and ask for prices, what have you got to lose, they all speak english and you do it from your work phone :)

Another good tip is to check the hotel price again a week or two before you travel, I booked the hotels for my holiday in July early this year and daily rates were about £80/night, when I checked again 2 weeks before travel the rates had dropped to £60 so I cancelled the original reservations and rebooked at the lower price, never hurts to check.

Useful tips chaps, thanks.

full size car (read massive american gas guzzler) from Hertz for £190 for 8 days including a tank a fuel.

I have always used American Solutions for car hire. You would get a full 2 weeks for around £200 with everything all in, insurance local taxes etc. nothing more to pay.

try these fo car hire

i always book ours about 3 months before departure off teletext - had some good savings

travel agents are the devil... always investigate for yourself :)

if you walk into a high street travel agents, your holiday is paying for the rent of that building and the wages of all the silly buggers sitting about

it's lazy tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670