4th Ashes test match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think both are struggling the only reason I would make that call would be down to the fact that Bopara is the more talented batsman and he has potential and is one for the future whereas IMO Collingwood is a busted flush. Bopara has struggled at No 3 but has the talent to succeed and therefore deserves an opportunity to see how he performs a bit further down the order, whereas there is nowhere to go for Collingwood. The truth is without KP and Freddie we are mediocre at best and scratching around for batting options.

Bopara, IMO if he can get some confidence will flourish, but batting him at 3 is heaping too much too pressure on his young inexperienced shoulders and exposing him to the new ball too early in his innings. Bat him down the order and he will do well.

Our opinions differ, I think Boparas shit. :)

Looks like ramps may get the call!

Looks like ramps may get the call!

I don't think that they will be up for that.

I think that they may play around with the batting order but basically go with the same personnel. They've got themselves on a bit of a hook by including Trott in the Headingly squad when Robert Key might be a stronger alternative.

Years ago in a similar situation I think they would have brought in the likes of Ramprakash but my gut feeling is that the coach and captain would fight that sort of approach now.

Mind you this middle order has threatened to completely implode all the series and has done now...I just think that the Aussies are not going to lose at the Oval!

I just think that the Aussies are not going to lose at the Oval!

I'd be amazed if they did.

Imo it would still be good if England draw the series. O.k the Aussies retain the Ashes, but it would annoy Ponting that he has failed to lead them to a series win in England for the 2nd consecutive time.

I would be happy with them going for Ramps, he is by far the best county batsman and could do no worse than Bopara or Bell. Really worrying how few English batsmen there are scoring tons in the County game, they need to blood a couple in the winter such as Hildreth and James Taylor (joke - but wouldn't be surprised if he was with the Lions)

Bopara's 0 and 1 reminded me of Geraint Jones getting a pair in his last test - sometimes you just know it is time for someone to go. Although in this case I hope Bopara makes some runs and gets back in at some stage.

Funnily enough though my worry about this series was always our capability of taking 20 wickets. And despite the 1st innings at Lords (helpful umpiring) and Edgbaston (conditions favourable) it has been a feature of our game in that we are letting the Aussies make the massive partnerships they just did not achieve in 2005. Harmison doesn't deserve it really, but I would give him one last go at the Oval alongside Anderson and Flintoff. I guess Broad deserves the last space ahead of Onions for his 6 wickets but neither are going to be matchwinners at the Oval with the ball.

Can't see us winning, but can see a draw. Whether we can win the Ashes will be decided by the first session IMO. Anything other than a convincing England session and we will be psychologically out of it I think.

I think there are a number of promising players who could make the step up but they need to be given the opportunity, however a final test Ashes decider is possibly not the time or place to throw in an untested youngster.

I see no reason why players like Hildreth, Denly and Moore cannot be given an opportunity to replace players like Bell and Collingwood. I would also like to see Peter Trego given an opportunity to replace Flintoff. He is an explosive middle order batsmen although he is more a 4th seamer than opening strike bowler.

i was there on saturday:098:

thankfully i was sat just behind a girl with magnificant baps! like 2 puppies fight over a sock.

Met Darren Lehmann as well, nice bloke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570