Accounts for 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a fair chunk of this comes from a timing issue of when the figures are recognised:

“The interruption of the 2019/20 season in March significantly affected both costs and revenue during the final three months of the season, as well as the financial period in which they are accounted. Principal costs such as the majority of the Club’s contribution to the Premier League’s broadcaster rebate, were borne in the accounts before the year-end, while the extension of the season’s conclusion has meant almost a quarter of Premier League revenues, prize money and sponsorship revenue will be not recognised as income until the 2020/21 financial year.

Such timing variances contributed to a decrease in turnover to £150M (from £178.4M in 2019).”

I particularly liked this bit:

The Club did not utilise the government’s Job Retention Scheme, retained all permanent staff and, from its own funds, continued to pay the wages of all casual matchday and non-matchday personnel to the financial year-end, despite matches being suspended between March and May. Much of the Club’s available human resource was deployed as part of a COVID-19 community response, offering personal, operational and financial support to the people and organisations in Leicester most affected by the pandemic.”

Yes, I must admit that made me feel a bit smugly proud I suppose - not that it had anything to do with me.

Anybody got any idea why the Premier League had to pay back some of our money to the TV companies? More matches were shown than ever have been in the past. The TV companies.(with the exception of the BBC) must have made a pile out of it.

Anybody got any idea why the Premier League had to pay back some of our money to the TV companies? More matches were shown than ever have been in the past. The TV companies.(with the exception of the BBC) must have made a pile out of it.
Wasn’t there something in the contract that said the season had to be completed by a certain date?

Possibly because they didn’t charge viewers for them. ???

Wasn’t there something in the contract that said the season had to be completed by a certain date?
Yep it was this, the broadcasters have the PL over a barrell.

I don't think they even had to pay an extra for all the additional games shown this year.

Am i correct in thinking FFP is a bir out of the window this season?

It’s fine, Man City got away with cheating by naming their own appeal panel, sure we’ll get the same treatment
Lol great bunch of lads, the citizens.

I think this just shows how ridiculously well everyone at the club has performed.

Basically, we've generated only a bit more money than the shittest teams in the league yet we are mixing it up with the teams that bring in 2-3 times as much which is quite remarkable really.

It’s fine, Man City got away with cheating by naming their own appeal panel, sure we’ll get the same treatment

The whole FFP thing and man city is a joke. What I'm in no way implying is if it's the case that the covid seasons don't really count then it'd be a good time for recognising as much bad news in the accounts as possible.

What I'm in no way implying is if it's the case that the covid seasons don't really count then it'd be a good time for recognising as much bad news in the accounts as possible.
I like your thinking. You're not a corporate tax accountant are you?

I like your thinking. You're not a corporate tax accountant are you?

I am an accountant. Fortunately not for a plc or anything where motives for adjustments/methods would make me uncomfortable. I'd take any P&L with a pinch of salt at the best of times. Covid and the potential for no punishments for breaking fairplay rules for this and the next accounts could paint an even less reliable picture than normal. A bit like when a new CEO takes over towards the end of a disappointing year and the following year's accounts show a 2% increase in sales but profit is up 40% or something because he's a magician (and not just when it comes to self promotion).

As i suggest though, highly unlikely these things would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757