AFL

Joe_Fox

Last night's semi final between Carlton and Melbourne was something else. Played in front of a rapturous crowd of over 96 thousand, Carlton scored a goal in the last minute and held on to win.

The previous week, Carlton beat Sydney in front of 92 thousand fans.

AFL is becoming my preference over soccer (and I use that term as a point of differential only). Here's why.

1. It's played in such a good spirit. Players play hard but mostly fair.
2. It's more of a contest. No one team has significantly more funds to "buy" success.
3. The players respect the officials (umpires). If there is a whiff of dissent, the get penalised heavily.
4. There's no crowd segregation. It can get a bit rough but generally the crowd is self policing. The no dick head policy is enforced by the vast majority of fans.
5. The tickets and match day experience are affordable. Last week in what's called an elimination final (roughly a last 16 match in soccer terms), I paid about 20 quid for a decent seat, a fiver for a beer, and two quid for some chips.

I've said it a lot on here. Soccer is broken. It could learn a lot from other sports such as AFL but won't because it's high and mighty and is all about the money.

Trans World Sport this shite, Joe. I enjoyed watching it on tv back in the day, but it’s a local sport for Aussies, so not really worth making a comparison between the two.

Trans World Sport this shite, Joe. I enjoyed watching it on tv back in the day, but it’s a local sport for Aussies, so not really worth making a comparison between the two.
Yep, this was my favourite sport on Trans World Sport although I just called it scrap rugby as it just appeared to be blokes have a scrap on a field with a rugby ball.

Excellent entertainment as a kid though!

Oh yeah, absolutely.

I just loved it for the fighting though.
There's still a fair bit of fighting but not as much as there was. No red cards though. Suspensions come after the match is reviewed, and range in severity.

AFL is a decent sport to be fair. Fast paced, enjoyable to watch. Everything American Football isn’t.

Another absolute humdinger of a match night saw my team Carlton snatch a win to make it a perfect start. Crowd was 82000 ish. It's quickly becoming my favourite sport. There's so much right in it compared to whatever football has become.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463