Are we bottling it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've drawn two games so this is far from a disaster. The frustrating part is that we know we have a very good team. We really are blessed with some fantastic talent but we've looked too pedestrian so far. It's not like the Peter Taylor era when we were riding high but you just knew that we weren't really that good. I like the fact the Rodgers has stated we need more tempo and rhythm - this is a massive part of our game that we must rediscover. I just hope he can also be brave enough to drop those that underperform.
Time for Brendan to earn his bucks.

We've drawn two games so this is far from a disaster.
And if that was the beginning and end of it I'd agree. But these draws against pretty weak opposition come on the back of a very poor run of form indeed during which we have lost to and drawn against some dire opposition. This is not a problem confined to the last two games, more the last few months of games.

Wolves ready to take our place now.

As a club it would be disastrous to lose the CL place to another club that is trying to grow in the same way as we are. Never mind the fact they are a Midlands side.

****ing this up will put us in a very tricky period imo.

And if that was the beginning and end of it I'd agree. But these draws against pretty weak opposition come on the back of a very poor run of form indeed during which we have lost to and drawn against some dire opposition. This is not a problem confined to the last two games, more the last few months of games.
But I don't think you can link these two games to the form prior to the league stopping. We've had 3 months off. It's the equivalent to starting a whole new season.

Wolves weren't overly convincing today. They're not the most pleasing on the eye but grind out results, like a Portuguese Burnley. Many of us have moaned at our one style of play and our inability to play ugly if needed. Surely the penny must drop at some point that launching the ball to the opposition's penalty area on 85mins with a defender up top can pay off when it's 0-0.

Wolves weren't overly convincing today. They're not the most pleasing on the eye but grind out results, like a Portuguese Burnley. Many of us have moaned at our one style of play and our inability to play ugly if needed. Surely the penny must drop at some point that launching the ball to the opposition's penalty area on 85mins with a defender up top can pay off when it's 0-0.

They remind me of us when we won the league.

They know how to win regardless of style and they seem to have a very good culture and togetherness as a club and team.

They remind me of us when we won the league.

They know how to win regardless of style and they seem to have a very good culture and togetherness as a club and team.

They're nowhere near as good but agreed. If they can roll someone over they will, if it's a shithouse battle like today they will. Us vs Norwich that season...

But I don't think you can link these two games to the form prior to the league stopping. We've had 3 months off. It's the equivalent to starting a whole new season.
I'm not suggesting this is anything like the equivalent. That is exactly why I didn't want to see this season restarted as the whole thing is a farce. It still doesn't detract from the fact that our form has been dreadful for a while now. Other teams have also had 3 months off but we have looked worse than most of them. Some clubs have used the break to regroup and come back with a real desire to win. We have simply carried on where we left off in terms of how inconsistent we are.

If we **** this up it will be infuriating. To go from Christmas where we looked like the only team capable of challenging Liverpool, to looking like the bottom 4 is about our level. We are mentally weak. I’m wondering if some of them are getting over Covid because there is no energy. Our talisman got one touch of the ball in the entire first half of the Brighton game.

I’m angry now and it’s not happened yet. :icon lol:
One or both of Man U and Wolves is going to catch and pass us. It’s not a question of ‘if’ in my view. :117:

We don’t just need a win Saturday we need to give Palace a hammering to get the confidence back

1593657665458.png

Man Utd have 5 easy games and us (so that's 6 easy games). On current form and with their run in, I think they'll get Top 5 comfortably.
Chelsea have two tough games to finish, but could be home and dry in four games time.
Wolves have a mixed run of games, but are also in good form.
Despite our current three point head start, we have the toughest fixtures and by far the worst form. I'd just be happy if we still have a chance of top 5 in the last game...

I really don't think that 5th will be enough for a Champions League spot.

Apart of the money, maybe the Europa League is better for us.

If we made the Champions League we'd be in pot four and on a hiding to nothing. We'd have to play our strongest team every time and it would definitely affect our league form.

We would have a realistic shot at the Europa League and could balance team selections better. If we don't have to go through the qualification stage, it would be less messy too.

Our squad is currently proving itself to be pretty weak below our strongest line up. A cold, hard fact is that we're not ready for the Champions League.

You might cite the 16/17 season where we made the quarter final. But it nearly relegated us and we were in pot one that time.

We’ve bottled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758