Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

Notice the Arsenal fans sang this at Old Trafford tonight

"We all follow the Arsenal,
Over land and sea, (and Leicester!)
We all follow the Arsenal,
Onto victory! "

Why do they mention us? Historical signifance? a dig at our fair city? Someone explain!

Notice the Arsenal fans sang this at Old Trafford tonight

"We all follow the Arsenal,
Over land and sea, (and Leicester!)
We all follow the Arsenal,
Onto victory! "

Why do they mention us? Historical signifance? a dig at our fair city? Someone explain!

Maybe they've just copied Chelsea but didn't bother updating the Leicester bit

I'm sure we had this discussion a few months back. IIRC it's something to do with a road sign on the M1, that read The North and Leicester. Well that was one of the theories.

I seem to remember this has been debated before. Weren't there a few differing theories?

The only one I can remember though was that when fans from London headed north the signs on the road used to say 'The North and Leicester' and it basically came from there.

I could, quite easily, have dreamed all of this and be talking total garbage so please feel free to ignore/correct me.

I'm sure we had this discussion a few months back. IIRC it's something to do with a road sign on the M1, that read The North and Leicester. Well that was one of the theories.

Damn me being so slow at typing

I think this is most likely the case as they are not the only club that sings it like that.

It's Chelsea's song. Has been for years and it's all to down with the motorway sign I believe but it could be possibly the history off the pitch between the two clubs.

:045:

Hark now hear, the Leicester sing
Chelsea ran away,
And we shall sing, forever more,
Because of Boxing day

It's Chelsea's song. Has been for years

We were singing it in the 60s, with the names of other clubs. It has always been widespread; I don't know why you should think it is Chelsea's.

We hate Nottingham Forest,
We hate Liverpool too,
We hate ManUnited
But Leicester we love
(altogether now)...

Repeat until bored.

:045:

Hark now hear, the Leicester sing
Chelsea ran away,
And we shall sing, forever more,
Because of Boxing day

We were singing that years before we played down at Stamford Bridge on Boxing Day. The original last line was "Because of wass-'is-name".

That's a different song, but with the same tune.

The Arsenal song is simply a corruption of the one I quote. Arsenal fans now follow their team over 'and Leicester' because Chelsea (and loads of others) originally hated 'and Leicester'. The words 'and Leicester' are the only ones kept from the former version.

These songs originated in the sixties. The "We will follow" was a [Manc] United chant - sad to say - they, Liverpool and later Leeds were responsible for the vast majority of football songs. Chelsea never had any serious fans in those days, they had no travelling fans and sang diddly squat.

The only explanation for the "and Leicester" chant that ever made sense to me is that they needed a two-syllable club as a counterpoint to the "We hate Nottingham Forest" - at the time the top division was seriously short of names that scanned - so "and Leicester" it is.

Last edited:
This always comes up, and always 2 reasons given and no one can ever agree on which is right.

1) "The North and Leicester" thing mentioned already.

2) Chelsea started it, because of rivalry between the two clubs in the "good ol' days where men were men and if you got stabbed at the footy you knew you'd been to a good game". Apparently coming here was worse than being attacked by vikings, and therefore the "and Leicester" was to show just how dedicated they were to seeing their team and that they'd go anywhere. Or something like that.

Where's the rum?

This always comes up, and always 2 reasons given and no one can ever agree on which is right.

1) "The North and Leicester" thing mentioned already.

2) Chelsea started it, because of rivalry between the two clubs in the "good ol' days where men were men and if you got stabbed at the footy you knew you'd been to a good game". Apparently coming here was worse than being attacked by vikings, and therefore the "and Leicester" was to show just how dedicated they were to seeing their team and that they'd go anywhere. Or something like that.

Where's the rum?

Main cupboard at the back :)

It's also likely to do with the fact that yonks ago they kept replaying a FA Cup tie with Sheffield Wednesday ( I think ) at Leicester, Filbert Street being a neutral venue, as they had drawn both home and away. I think they played at Filbert Street three times in the space of something like seven days. A gooner mate of mine went to all games. He reckons he knows the fair City of Leicester better than some parts of Highbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263