Buying foreign currency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
In about three weeks I’ll be travelling to Florida oblast and need to pick up some rubles and/or USD. What’s the best/cheapest way to do it?

For me, depends on how long you're going for any how much cash you think you'll need.

For some overseas visits, I'm quite happy to use, for conveniences sake, my UK sterling debit card both across the counter and in ATMs, but then I have a popular high street building society account who don't fleece you for foreign currency transactions. I also have a Transferwise debit card (other internet banks are available) that I use in much the same manner as a backup. I wouldn't however use my French (euros) debit card in the same way, those fekkers take it as a golden opportunity to rip strips off of me.

I can't remember the last time I bought cash, let alone used travellers cheques. Some people (some in my family included) do like these preloaded currency cards but, tbh, I've not looked into them.

My mate, who goes to Florida a lot, uses the Halifax card in the link above, in case you wanted to have a look at it to see how it compares.

Like BlueNotes, my bank is ok when I look at the comparisons, so I just use their cards.

As mention already it's best to use a credit/debit card that doesn't charge for currency transactions.

I'm a bit old fashioned and like to have cash in my pocket,the best rates are normally order on line and collect at the airport. Although having said that, the last time I ordered currency, John Lewis was the best rate and I collected it from Waitrose.

In about three weeks I’ll be travelling to Florida oblast and need to pick up some rubles and/or USD. What’s the best/cheapest way to do it?
Never mind about the money. Have you made arrangements for getting your passport to the airport yet!

I’m going in about 6 weeks BM, will you still be there? If I see a bloke dressed as Santa should I go and say hello to him?

I have 2x FairFX preload debit cards one for dollars & one for Euro's, I have the app on my phone with my current account linked to it so you can just top up when you like at no charge, they send me rates via the app when it goes up & down, free to use in shops, bars, restaurants etc & 0:75 per cash withdrawal from an ATM, also the rates were very good much better than any high street bank.

I’m flying home October 5th, and will at no point be dressed as Santa.
Of course not. Completely the wrong time of the yea...

Oh wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758