CMJ on Leicestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Positive article "outlook brighter for leics" about the county's selection policy from Christopher Martin-Jenkins on the official site, from a Times article:

http://www.leicestershireccc.com/articles/1/1160.html

Compare and contrast it to his column on Cricinfo in May of this year, entitled "spongers or smart operators" which whilst covering similar ground was far more negative in tone

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/351731.html

Of course since the CMJ earlier article was written in May and before the County decided to play significant numbers of young English qualified players on a regular basis.

My view is that the Kolpak strategy was worth trying but that it has been moderately disappointing. The club management are somewhat fortunate to have several promising youngsters (otherwise they would be in a grim position) but it will be next season and the season after when we see whether potential is realised. To be honest I put the recent disappointing results mainly down to playing too many youngsters at the same time - but this may be a price woth paying.

To be honest I put the recent disappointing results mainly down to playing too many youngsters at the same time - but this may be a price woth paying.

I agree - although Dippenaar and Du Toit hardly did better than Cobb and Boyce, although Boyce has really tailed off in the second half of the season.

I agree - although Dippenaar and Du Toit hardly did better than Cobb and Boyce, although Boyce has really tailed off in the second half of the season.

Yes - it's obvious which of the young players is playing with confidence and which are struggling very badly. I don't think it does a youngster any good whatsoever to keep being played when they are being repeatedly knocked over for low scores.

There appear to be tensions amongst the most senior players and this is quite usual in a losing team but I'm waiting with interest to see what if any major changes are made for next season. My own view is that a new captain should be brought in from outside - nationality not critical although it might be worth looking at say a former England player with a couple of seasons left in the locker to get the County over a transitional period - although I realsie that we always seem to be in a transitional state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669