Expected Goals (xG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

I mentioned this metric in the post match thread for the Liverpool game.

Lots of stats minded people seem to believe that it is a more reflective way of measuring performances than actual results. There are many, many articles going on about how Team A has an xG of this and Team B has an xG of that as a way of explaining why individual results may not be the best way of assessing how a team is actually doing. There is certainly some merit in saying that results are often not reflective of performances.

xG is designed to measure the quality of chances created and conceded which, over a sustained period, should tell you more about how your team is performing than their results. Match of the Day have been using it for a couple of years now in their post match analysis.

I was puzzled by the fact that our xG against Liverpool was deemed to be only 0.10. In contrast, Liverpool had an xG of 3.75. This suggested that we were very lucky to score and by rights should have lost the game 4-0. So I decided to do some reading up on the topic.

For information, our 0.10 that day consisted of the Maddison goal (rated as 0.07) and the shot from Praet (0.03). Liverpool's 3.75 consisted of 0.76 for the penalty, Mane's goal was given a 0.32 xG and then there were a further 15 attempts that 'scored' xG for Liverpool during the match.

If you accept that the metric is of interest, and this is very much something that is growing in usage and popularity, how are Leicester really doing this season?

If results were determined by xG rather than goals, we would have 11 points rather than 14 and we would actually be 11th in the xG table. Man City would be above Liverpool at the top of the league and Watford would be 8th.

Leicester have very low xG for and against this season. Only Newcastle have fewer expected goals than we do. On the other hand, only Liverpool and Man Utd have better defensive records. This strongly suggests that our positive start is mostly down to us being strong defensively and we're actually pretty poor going forward.

In terms of individual players, Vardy has 5 goals this season but his xG would only give him 2. This clearly reflects well on Vardy in that he is making more of his opportunities than you'd expect. Perez has been our most wasteful attacking player. Most xG assists (passes that lead to a shot) have come from Albrighton (0.46 per appearance) and Gray (0.43 per appearance). Maddison by comparison only scores 0.15 per game.

Does any of this convince me of the merits of xG? Not really. However, I am going to continue to monitor it as the season progresses to see if xG and actual results/performances converge more. I'll use this thread to pick up on notable things xG related as the season progresses.

I appreciate your efforts on this BN.

(You clearly have too much free time on your hands).

Yea thanks BN

If you could keep across this so I don't have to even think about it, that would be great.

I too am pleased that BN has the time and energy to take on this onerous task. It's one less thing for the rest of us to worry about.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I watched highlights of Kasper's heroics the other night. I did wonder how many were expected goals....does it mean he was still good if it's near to 0?

the problem I have with XG is it would treat a through ball to Vardy the same as a through ball to Chilwell, if it doesn't take into account who the player is it cannot give an accurate enough reading for all the focus it gets

I mentioned this metric in the post match thread for the Liverpool game.

Lots of stats minded people seem to believe that it is a more reflective way of measuring performances than actual results. There are many, many articles going on about how Team A has an xG of this and Team B has an xG of that as a way of explaining why individual results may not be the best way of assessing how a team is actually doing. There is certainly some merit in saying that results are often not reflective of performances.

xG is designed to measure the quality of chances created and conceded which, over a sustained period, should tell you more about how your team is performing than their results. Match of the Day have been using it for a couple of years now in their post match analysis.

I was puzzled by the fact that our xG against Liverpool was deemed to be only 0.10. In contrast, Liverpool had an xG of 3.75. This suggested that we were very lucky to score and by rights should have lost the game 4-0. So I decided to do some reading up on the topic.

For information, our 0.10 that day consisted of the Maddison goal (rated as 0.07) and the shot from Praet (0.03). Liverpool's 3.75 consisted of 0.76 for the penalty, Mane's goal was given a 0.32 xG and then there were a further 15 attempts that 'scored' xG for Liverpool during the match.

If you accept that the metric is of interest, and this is very much something that is growing in usage and popularity, how are Leicester really doing this season?

If results were determined by xG rather than goals, we would have 11 points rather than 14 and we would actually be 11th in the xG table. Man City would be above Liverpool at the top of the league and Watford would be 8th.

Leicester have very low xG for and against this season. Only Newcastle have fewer expected goals than we do. On the other hand, only Liverpool and Man Utd have better defensive records. This strongly suggests that our positive start is mostly down to us being strong defensively and we're actually pretty poor going forward.

In terms of individual players, Vardy has 5 goals this season but his xG would only give him 2. This clearly reflects well on Vardy in that he is making more of his opportunities than you'd expect. Perez has been our most wasteful attacking player. Most xG assists (passes that lead to a shot) have come from Albrighton (0.46 per appearance) and Gray (0.43 per appearance). Maddison by comparison only scores 0.15 per game.

Does any of this convince me of the merits of xG? Not really. However, I am going to continue to monitor it as the season progresses to see if xG and actual results/performances converge more. I'll use this thread to pick up on notable things xG related as the season progresses.
BN how do they collate the stats ? surely in some games we are on top for large periods and then in games like Liverpool we can not dominate and the xG will be up or down, I do not see how this can help predict how a team will do in the future.

What happens if a team is 2 on 1 vs the keeper and the 1 player's shot is saved but it falls to the other with an open goal? Does the rebound count as an unexpected goal as surely you wouldnt count it as 2ish expected goals. I'm off for a lie down.

All sounds very Spursy to me.
“Yes we lost the league, but that doesn’t matter, our expected goals was better than anyone else’s, what with all our possession and all !”

Fecking ignoramuses. A little more background:

To work out a team's “expected goals” (xG) for a match, every shot must be analysed and given an "Expected goal value" (EGV). EGV is the probability that any given shot will end up as a goal.

EGV is based on a number of factors, such as where the shot was taken from, the proximity of defenders, the nature of the attack (i.e a direct free-kick or a penalty). The EGV of a shot assumes it is being taken by someone of average ability in the league, so it expects for instance that a shot from 10 yards out plum in front of goal with no defenders nearby has a high chance of ending up as a goal.

From an analysis of every shot's EGV in a match, an "expected goals" (xG) figure can be placed on each team from that match. If a team has a higher xG figure than actual goals scored, it will broadly be because of wasteful finishing or good goalkeeping, or both. Likewise if a team is scoring more than its xG then it could be down to moments of individual brilliance from an attacker or say a goalkeeping error.

xG's value is that it gives an indication of whether a team's results are based on sustainable factors like the consistent creation or denial of chances, or whether it is down to less sustainable factors like freakishly high chance conversion or sensational goalkeeping.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...does-show-man-city-should-win-premier-league/

xG stats have been collated since 2014/15 season so we can see what the difference is between what City actually did and what our performances 'merited'.

2014/15 - actual finish/points 14th/41 points - xG finish/points 14th/45 points
2015/16 - actual finish/points 1st/81 points - xG finish/points 4th/69 points
2016/17 - actual finish/points 12th/44 points - xG finish/points 11th/48 points
2017/18 - actual finish/points 9th/47 points - xG finish/points 8th/56 points
2018/19 - actual finish/points 9th/52 points - xG finish/points 8th/56 points

Aside from the 2016 season (Arsenal won the xG league), we've ended up with fewer points than we have 'earned' every year. We've been wasteful and/or opponents have been better at taking their chances against us.

What gives xG some credit to me is the fact that our finishing position in the league is very close to reality - it is a better relationship than wages/transfer spend etc. Therefore, there is merit in seeing how we're doing at any given point of a season and suggesting that over or under achievement isn't likely to be sustainable.

So, when we see our xG for this season so far suggests that we're overachieving, it means that either we're just exceptionally good at finishing and opponents are wasteful, or, we are not as good as we think we are.

2014/15 - actual finish/points 14th/41 points - xG finish/points 14th/45 points
2015/16 - actual finish/points 1st/81 points - xG finish/points 4th/69 points
2016/17 - actual finish/points 12th/44 points - xG finish/points 11th/48 points
2017/18 - actual finish/points 9th/47 points - xG finish/points 8th/56 points
2018/19 - actual finish/points 9th/52 points - xG finish/points 8th/56 points

And therein lies the value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288