First wives bad roads and Elvis on the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

Some thoughts for Tuesday.

Why Tuesday and why the beginning of November. By November the harvest was gathered in If the election was later in the year the roads would make travel difficult and voting often involved going long distances. Why Tuesday? Voting on a Monday might involve people travelling on the Sabbath.

Full disclosure. I detest Donald Trump, I believe he has taken the Presidency into the gutter and embarrassed those people round the world struggling for democracy. I even suspect that the Russians "have something on him". Nevertheless tens of millions of Americans will vote for him. He does not just get the support of the Elvis is alive and living on the moon brigade.

People say America is divided as never before This is nonsense. In the 1860 election there were no Republican candidates in ten southern states because of a justified fear that they would be lynched. Nowadays America is a genuine two party system There are small parties but unlike the SNP, Lib Dems and DUP they do not matter. (1) In earlier times there were a number of political parties including a native American (in the proper sense) (2) with the wonderful name the Know Nothing Party (3)

I enjoyed the focus groups of 2016. Hillary wanted to know why she was polling badly among middle aged white males. What had she done to offend them, The answer she was told was that middle aged white males felt she reminded them of their first wife,

(1) The third party candidate mattered in 2000 when the left wing Ralph Nader took enough votes from Al Gore to put George W in the White House.
(2) A Native American is somebody born in the USA The Native American movement was largely anti Catholic because of Irish and \Italian and immigration. The phrase Red Indian is clearly unacceptable. I prefer the Canadian phrase "First Nation"
(3) The Know Nothings were often involved in illegal activity. They got the name because members were instructed to deny charges with the words "I know nothing." Obviously mp British political party warrants such a name.

I've got $20 on Biden. I fear that was a silly bet.

In hearing that Trump is going to win. ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757