Gloucs v Leics CC match

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

So all the talk of momentum and wanting to win 3 CC matches and we slump to our usual first innings collapse :icon_roll

And another mysterious team selection - no Hoggard despite the insistence that he would continue to be first-class captain, and that Cobby needed to concentrate on his batting. And no Taylor, our best bowler for the past few weeks.

So all the talk of momentum and wanting to win 3 CC matches and we slump to our usual first innings collapse :icon_roll

And another mysterious team selection - no Hoggard despite the insistence that he would continue to be first-class captain, and that Cobby needed to concentrate on his batting. And no Taylor, our best bowler for the past few weeks.

I think that part of the answer is in giving games to a couple of players as a last chance before the retained/ dispensed lists are firmed up. For all the talk about winning an unlikely number of the remaining games the real issues are about the shape of the squad for next season......and of course all within the context of there being little money.

130-6 now, so might actually be a decent game.

I see Northants are releasing Rob White, who's punished us a few times in the past I think - 32 years old and I think opens the batting, so might be worth bringing in, especially if Jefferson doesn't return?

I think that part of the answer is in giving games to a couple of players as a last chance before the retained/ dispensed lists are firmed up. For all the talk about winning an unlikely number of the remaining games the real issues are about the shape of the squad for next season......and of course all within the context of there being little money.

To not play Taylor seemed very strange though. Hopefully not the curse of the left arm seamer!

130-6 now, so might actually be a decent game.

I see Northants are releasing Rob White, who's punished us a few times in the past I think - 32 years old and I think opens the batting, so might be worth bringing in, especially if Jefferson doesn't return?

Good shout. Shouldn't be too pricey either.

An eighth wicket stand as usual held us up, but max bowling points and some wickets for Buck at least.

From the starting eleven I would say.

Certain for next season:
Cobb (promoted to one day captain), Sarwan, Eckersley and White

Surprised if they weren't retained:
Boyce (improved one day record, Jefferson injury prone etc), Thornely (same as Boyce, also bowls) Smith (I think he may get another chance) and Buck

Debatable:
Joseph (hot and cold, more the later of late) Henderson (may retire) and Dixey (but do Leicestershire have a better a a number two wicket keeper?)

Last edited:
Would be nice to at least be able to score 200+ on a semi regular basis in the Championship. Struggling to get a 150 lead today. Sarwan the man again, a good start by Thornely and Boyce.

From the starting eleven I would say.

Certain for next season:
Cobb (promoted to one day captain), Sarwan, Eckersley and White

Surprised if they weren't retained:
Boyce (improved one day record, Jefferson injury prone etc), Thornely (same as Boyce, also bowls) Smith (I think he may get another chance) and Buck

Debatable:
Joseph (hot and cold, more the later of late) Henderson (may retire) and Dixey (but do Leicestershire have a better a a number two wicket keeper?)

I don't think that several of the above merit retaining - obviously Joseph is being given another opportunity but I can't see that working out. I take for granted that Henderson will reyire as a full time player. It alldepends on how much Dixey is being paid - can't see us paying much to a back up keeper. Jefferson - well i would have thought re injuries that enough is enough.

Of the rest, well a number are simply not good enough...but if we can't afford to bring in better at higher cost then I guess we are stuck in this cycle of failure for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566