Goalkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

H T B

Had me thinking, when was the last time we had a keeper that commanded his area, and has Kasper ever had competition for his place?

Had me thinking, when was the last time we had a keeper that commanded his area, and has Kasper ever had competition for his place?
Jimmy Nielsen always gambled...... on coming for crosses.

thinking about it there are a lot of average keepers in the prem right now, of the ones around I only think, when on top form that, Allison, Ederson, de Gea & Rui Patricio are clearly better there are others that are close and you could debate either way like Lloris, Leno, Pope etc.

I think Dean Henderson could be better long term and he would be a target of mine in the summer.

Short term I think Matt Ryan is a good shot stopper, better in the air but much better with his feet so I wouldn't mind signing him either

Whilst Kasper, alongside most modern keepers, stays on their line for corners and set pieces I think that tactic was justified yesterday. The swirling wind cause real problems and you only had to see the problems Willy C had ‘dealing’ with the Chilwell cross. Other than Allison, Ederson and De Gea, Kasper is up there with the best. Patricio nearly threw a shot into his own net yesterday, Guaita did throw one into his own net and Palace have a great defensive record. Fabianski punched one off a defender into his net. What I would say is you need competition for places but back up keeper won’t be anyone top draw because a keeper wants to play but it’s the one position which is really limited.

Dubravka at the Toon has always impressed me. Difficult for a keeper to look good in a poor side so when one does they're worth noting.

I haven’t got a ****ing scooby which goalkeepers are any good. I only really watch full matches when it involves Leicester so when it comes to Match of the Day or whatever you only see ‘keepers being beaten, ****ing up or making saves.

Assuming that his influence over the squad is as strong as it seems, I personally think it would be madness to bin Kasper off or even sign serious competition for now.

We should be targeting Nick Pope or Dean Henderson when we need to replace Kasper.

Henderson currently has the most clean sheets (9) this season with Kasper and a whole host of others second (8).

I think competition is healthy, but if Ward isnt going anywhere near to Kasper, why sign him?

He certainly needs better competition.
Didn't Burnley recently have Pope , Heaton and Hart .
Now that, is competition
Agreed. But unfortunately I doubt the likes of Pope or Henderson would come here to play second fiddle to Kasper.

I liked that lad at Cardiff, he always seemed to have good games against us.

I liked that lad at Cardiff, he always seemed to have good games against us.

Marshall?

Cov had a ‘keeper called Murphy for a bit who would seem to play out of his skin against us.

I wouldn’t currently take either of these over Kasper, mostly because they’re both probably in their 40’s now.

Marshall?

Cov had a ‘keeper called Murphy for a bit who would seem to play out of his skin against us.

I wouldn’t currently take either of these over Kasper, mostly because they’re both probably in their 40’s now.

Neil Etheridge I think

After reading this thread, I'm mightily relieved that none of you have anything to do with our goalkeeper recruitment.

Schmeichel has a dodgy spell most seasons. He's been wobbly for a while now. But he's still the best fit for us for another couple of years.

After reading this thread, I'm mightily relieved that none of you have anything to do with our goalkeeper recruitment.

Schmeichel has a dodgy spell most seasons. He's been wobbly for a while now. But he's still the best fit for us for another couple of years.

Other than stretching his limbs using some sort of medieval torture device, I too struggle to think of how we could improve on him.

Other than stretching his limbs using some sort of medieval torture device, I too struggle to think of how we could improve on him.
We couldn't. It's a car crash of a thread. Let's pretend it didn't happen and close the ****er down. Of all our problems, and that really isn't a long list, Schmeichel isn't anywhere close to being considered one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757