Is a top four finish achievable or a pipe dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Personally I’d like to see the league cut to 18 teams.

If I remember correctly that was the original plan of the Premier League. They cut it to 20 from 22 in the old First Division and then a few years later it was supposed to be cut to 18.

With two relegation spots and a promotion/relegation playoff with a championship team.

That was actually the case for a while. I think Charlton got promoted in the late 80's by beating Leeds that way.

Have we forgotten where we've come from so quickly? I'm used to Leicester being a club that isn't always in the top division, let alone knocking around the top of the top division, so feel really uncomfortable about closing up the shop - either by having a smaller top division or reducing the promotion opportunities to get in to it. Considering the paucity in the bottom half of the EPL and the tiresome scrap of many to just finish 17th (again, something we should all be used to seeing Leicester taking part in), I'd take a leaf out of the Bundesliga's book and relegate/promote four.

Have we forgotten where we've come from so quickly? I'm used to Leicester being a club that isn't always in the top division, let alone knocking around the top of the top division, so feel really uncomfortable about closing up the shop - either by having a smaller top division or reducing the promotion opportunities to get in to it. Considering the paucity in the bottom half of the EPL and the tiresome scrap of many to just finish 17th (again, something we should all be used to seeing Leicester taking part in), I'd take a leaf out of the Bundesliga's book and relegate/promote four.

Sorry to correct you but the Bundesliga has 2 automatic spots and a playoff spot.

I personally think the mid table of the Premier League is flabby and populated by teams with no ambition. No ambition to break into the top six, win a cup or do anything that might risk their juicy TV deals resulting in some crap football and the same tried and tested managers on a loop. I think having slightly fewer games, fewer barnacles like Newcastle, Palace and Burnley and therefore an increased chance/risk of qualification or relegation would add to the entertainment factor of the league. I don’t understand why the fact that we used to be a yo-yo club means a bigger league is better.

Just my opinion, I think it’ll go the other way in the long term with more teams and more games for overseas broadcasters to show under the Premier League brand.

Last edited:
I think they missed a trick in not setting up two Premier Leagues 1&2, each with 18 teams. And then sharing the money a bit more between them - even 80/20 is better than it is now.

The financial gap is just madness. It is gradually worsening the standard in both the top two leagues and means any club trying to better themselves has to gamble and cheat the rules, as we did.

We're lucky to have partially forgotten what it's like.

That was actually the case for a while. I think Charlton got promoted in the late 80's by beating Leeds that way.
Not quite. Charlton were already in Division One and maintained that status whilst Leeds remained in Division Two.

The structure of the season is ridiculous. Games are well spaced out from August to the end of November and then from February to the end of the season. Almost always one game a week with international breaks too.

December and January are just a mad schedule. We just played 17 matches in 63 days (W8 D4 L5). We have undoubtedly struggled with this because our game is best when it is full on and you simply cannot be full on through that kind of run.

I'm hopeful that we will get back to our best now and cruise through to a top four finish. However, it is an absurd way of running a season and the Premier League really do need to do something about so much of the season being crammed into such a short period.

I agree with this, it is ridiculous.

But clearly there is something sentimental about going to a Boxing Day fixture or New Years Day fixture. People tend to have time off work and folks tend to be at home with their families with the short days, lovely warmth, bellies full and people want to crack open more bottles of whatever and enjoy the football and the banter that goes with.

I'm torn. I look forward to and lookout for Boxing and New Years Day fixtures when the fixtures are announced. I love watching them. Even this year, I had my brothers round, sister's boyfriend round, my best mate round, a mixed group of City and Liverpool fans - tonnes of food and drink - no one had work the next day. It was excellent even though we lost (I drowned my sorrows).

I think Boxing Day and New Years Day should remain, but we should get rid of December 28th's fixture for sure. Play on 26th, 28th and the 1st is too much. I think the fixture around the 20th/21st should also be cancelled. Then we get 10 -14 days just before the Christmas period. At least there's more balance with a couple of weeks off followed by a busy period.

This year was also tough with the cup matches we've had. If we have a similar run next season alongside Europe, we will struggle BIG TIME in the league or have crappy cup campaigns. We need to strengthen big time.

I agree with this, it is ridiculous.

But clearly there is something sentimental about going to a Boxing Day fixture or New Years Day fixture. People tend to have time off work and folks tend to be at home with their families with the short days, lovely warmth, bellies full and people want to crack open more bottles of whatever and enjoy the football and the banter that goes with.

I'm torn. I look forward to and lookout for Boxing and New Years Day fixtures when the fixtures are announced. I love watching them. Even this year, I had my brothers round, sister's boyfriend round, my best mate round, a mixed group of City and Liverpool fans - tonnes of food and drink - no one had work the next day. It was excellent even though we lost (I drowned my sorrows).

I think Boxing Day and New Years Day should remain, but we should get rid of December 28th's fixture for sure. Play on 26th, 28th and the 1st is too much. I think the fixture around the 20th/21st should also be cancelled. Then we get 10 -14 days just before the Christmas period. At least there's more balance with a couple of weeks off followed by a busy period.

This year was also tough with the cup matches we've had. If we have a similar run next season alongside Europe, we will struggle BIG TIME in the league or have crappy cup campaigns. We need to strengthen big time.
But you've just highlighted the issue there. You loved the Boxing Day game, but were watching it at home. It's geared towards people doing that, not the fans in the ground or the players.

If Christmas Day has gone well, food wise, you should be spending Boxing Day trying to shit out half a turkey, a dozen pigs in blankets and a hundred Ferrero Roche, not watching football at some ridiculous hour.

But you've just highlighted the issue there. You loved the Boxing Day game, but were watching it at home. It's geared towards people doing that, not the fans in the ground or the players.

If Christmas Day has gone well, food wise, you should be spending Boxing Day trying to shit out half a turkey, a dozen pigs in blankets and a hundred Ferrero Roche, not watching football at some ridiculous hour.

That's because I live between Buenos Aires and London most of the year, so getting to Lestah isn't the easiest, though I go to as many matches as I can!

And another thing - all the tosser plastic Asian football fans (I'm Asian so calm down) who don't even know where Liverpool is had taken all the tickets through their mates sister's cousin's uncle, leaving actual City fans stranded.

Christmas Day went perfectly thanks. Your vivid description actually happened and now I'm feeling a tad nostalgic. I'm gonna grab a packet of Richmonds and a bit of bacon this eve.

I'm gonna grab a packet of Richmonds and a bit of bacon this eve.

Get 20 of the menthol superkings, I find that sharpness really cuts through a good smoked bacon.

Well at least Klopp will have a video link of the FA Cup game apparently he is too tired to attend however, he has made himself available for a Telcon at half time, top bloke!

I do agree we need to spread the games out over xmas as suggested above but I wish Guadiola and Klopp would stop bitching and get on with it. How on earth Klopp can complain about fixtures when he prioritised the world club comp over the domestic comps says it all imo. I could not care less about the that competition it is about making money and that is Liverpools problem for being successful I am afraid it comes with the territory, the teams in the championship deal with far worse.

I think we all need to remember where have come from a short time ago.

Gap to fifth down to ten points after the Sheff Utd win today.
I’m full expecting the gap to be a lot smaller by the time we have played Wolves and Man C, after which we need to show some resilience and win a couple of crucial games to get back on track.

Gap to fifth down to ten points after the Sheff Utd win today.
I’m full expecting the gap to be a lot smaller by the time we have played Wolves and Man C, after which we need to show some resilience and win a couple of crucial games to get back on track.
Chelsea’s next 2 games are Man U and Spurs
Couple of draws wouldn’t go amiss,
As we beat wolves and Man City

I have confidence in Brendan. He said:
"It's been a long period from December. We'll go away, come back and get back to being consistent."

He realises that consistency has been a recent issue and he will rectify it imo. Not spouting bullshit about taking all the positives all the time. He sees the dip which is more than can be said for a lot of managers.

Apart from Liverpool, Everton and possibly Watford the rest of the league has struggled over this period too. So we haven't lost much ground.

Plus our team is young and needs to have experiences to grow from. The new style of possession based football is difficult to master too.

We need to instill that confidence and fear again. I think we will beat Wolves and draw or beat Man City.

So with Man City being banned from the CL next season, and last nights draw with Wolves, hopefully we are now all but there.

If Man City don't successfully appeal the decision and can't qualify, then that means two teams that are 11+ points would have to catch up to us in the 12 remaining games.

We need to start winning games again, if we’re going to limp over the line the line will feel further and further away until someone eventually catches us. It all feels very complacent at the minute, like our season was done and dusted in December.

We need to start winning games again, if we’re going to limp over the line the line will feel further and further away until someone eventually catches us. It all feels very complacent at the minute, like our season was done and dusted in December.
I agree it will have a totally different feel if we just qualify for the Champs league, do we have Man City next?

I agree it will have a totally different feel if we just qualify for the Champs league, do we have Man City next?

Aye, half five at home next Saturday. The game is sandwiched between their rearranged game against Wham and a Champions league knockout game. Hopefully that works in a favour, although we don’t seem especially adept at taking advantage of teams at the minute.

How many genuinely poor performances and poor results have we had though? Three I'd say - Norwich and Southampton at home and Burnley away. That's not bad from 26 matches.

All these have come in our last 12 league games and we've also played the other teams in the top four in that period. Yet, we've still picked up 15 points. If we finished our last 12 games the same way, that's still 65 points. The team currently in 5th (Sheff Utd) would have to win 9 of their last 12 to overtake us.

Taking Man City's issues out of the equation, nobody after Chelsea are getting 60 points or more. We're cruising a top four finish. Once the title was gone, that's all we can do so it's understandable that the aggression isn't quite the same. The players and coaches are not stupid, despite what they'll say in public, they all know that they're walking it and that what they're doing now is plenty good enough.

Our season is already sensational. Our priority is now the FA Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757