Laptop freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.
You don't need 'Linux experience' to insert a CD, turn on the laptop, then connect a pendrive to copy the files onto.

I don't know Cate's experience but my dad who is OK on PCs wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

I don't know Cate's experience but my dad who is OK on PCs wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

What's to be uncomfortable about? It's arguably easier than doing it in Windows.

Once the laptop has booted up, there's an icon on the Desktop for the hard drive and an icon for the pendrive; open those up and drag and drop the files that need to be kept.

Would he find that more or less challenging than physically removing the hard drive from a laptop and mounting it in a caddy?

What's to be uncomfortable about? It's arguably easier than doing it in Windows.

Once the laptop has booted up, there's an icon on the Desktop for the hard drive and an icon for the pendrive; open those up and drag and drop the files that need to be kept.

Would he find that more or less challenging than physically removing the hard drive from a laptop and mounting it in a caddy?

The problem is though Macky, the laptop wont boot up! I dont even get to my desktop menu stage... I do have access to another pc (which I hope will work, going to try it tonight), although that was turning itself off after ten minutes before :icon_lol:

dont have much luck with computers....

Cate, do you have access to another PC?

If so, get a USB enclosure for your hard drive. You can then plug this in to the other PC and salvage your documents, pics, MP3s etc. It won't really matter if the computer shop does reinstall everything, at least you'll have it backed up.

dont think this would work without the laptop booting up?

dont think this would work without the laptop booting up?

Yes it would. You will need to physically remove the hard drive from the laptop ... a couple of screws on the underside. Put the drive into the enclusure and connect the USB cable to the other PC. You can then use Windows Explorer or My Computer on the PC to access it and copy your files on to the other PC.

Yes it would. You will need to physically remove the hard drive from the laptop ... a couple of screws on the underside. Put the drive into the enclusure and connect the USB cable to the other PC. You can then use Windows Explorer or My Computer on the PC to access it and copy your files on to the other PC.

erm, I dont really fancy doing that if I can help it :icon_lol:

The problem is though Macky, the laptop wont boot up! I dont even get to my desktop menu stage.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

It's Windows that won't boot up. As Jeff said, instead of using Windows to boot up the laptop, you'd temporarily use a Linux CD bypassing Windows all together.

It might sound scary, but it is incredibly straight forward.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

It's Windows that won't boot up. As Jeff said, instead of using Windows to boot up the laptop, you'd temporarily use a Linux CD bypassing Windows all together.

It might sound scary, but it is incredibly straight forward.

I shall take your word for it Macky and give it a go this evening... :icon_lol:

It's not always as easy as that, some laptop hard drives can be quite difficult to get to.
I wouldn't recommend removing the hard drive (and buying the enclosure to put it in) until other easier options have been tried.

Fair point. I guess I'm just used to getting the screwdriver out and doing it that way. Plus if there's a large amount of data on the drive, copying to memory stick(s) is going to be a lengthy process.

If that's how easy it is then fair enough. I've not used Linux since uni and never one of these disks, but the guy at work uses it and makes it sound difficult. Probably to beef up his own importance.

guy at work uses it and makes it sound difficult. Probably to beef up his own importance.

Hahaha, I know the type.

In fairness, it does depend on which distro you choose, but something like LinuxMint really is a piece of piss to use, and it just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669