Post Match Leicester 1 - Southampton 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Performances have been struggling for nearly 2 months now. Time for Brendan to earn his money and arrest the decline before it becomes a big problem.

Arsenal at home was the last decent home performance

If only they wouldnt bother turning up at all.
I couldn’t hear the booing because I was out of earshot of the stadium by the time the whistle blew. You should try it sometime :icon wink:

Reinforcements needed.

I think our weakness in attacking wide positions is getting to us. Constant rotation on the flanks, not helping the rest of the team I think.

I couldn’t hear the booing because I was out of earshot of the stadium by the time the whistle blew. You should try it sometime :icon wink:

Nah I'm good.

I'd have felt a right tit if I'd missed an equaliser, seeing as there was one goal in it and a match is only 1.5 hours long.

We've purposely built a team around young players. The problem with that is unless they are all exceptional they will suffer a loss of form.

I'll add that although we've not had a truly convincing performance since Arsenal, we've also not loss until now. The last two league games were fantastic and we looked great.

This was always going to be a hard game. But what is important is how we react. The players need to have a rest, regroup and come back next week in avengence.

I'll add that although we've not had a truly convincing performance since Arsenal, we've also not loss until now.
Come again?

Yes , that's completely wrong isn't it...

We lost against Man city. (I should have said home games too)
Have you blotted the Liverpool game from your brain? Don’t blame you to be fair.

The issue is that Perez and Barnes do not track back and that piles pressure on our right and left backs, it also allows their team to flood our midfield. Until BR grips those two and makes them do the hard and dirty aspect of the game we will continue to suffer.

Albrighton has his foibles but the one he gives is graft and covers his right or left back depending on which side he is playing. It is simple to play against us at the minute sit deep and as soon as we lose the ball smash it forward and then flood the midfield as our two will still be at their 18 yard box.

Gray is just as bad I am sure we are trying to recruit a strong winger but are there any available? It is so frustrating to watch a young talented fit 20 year old in Barnes who really does have the potential to go far neglect the basics of the game i.e. you are part of a team and a sum of its parts if you do not put a shift in the rest suffers.

I am trying not to be too critical it is just what I see when watching the games, it seems obvious to me maybe I lack the football intelligence but he bottom line is you must earn the right to win, not just turn up and expect to roll sides over.

The issue is that Perez and Barnes do not track back and that piles pressure on our right and left backs, it also allows their team to flood our midfield. Until BR grips those two and makes them do the hard and dirty aspect of the game we will continue to suffer.

Albrighton has his foibles but the one he gives is graft and covers his right or left back depending on which side he is playing. It is simple to play against us at the minute sit deep and as soon as we lose the ball smash it forward and then flood the midfield as our two will still be at their 18 yard box.

Gray is just as bad I am sure we are trying to recruit a strong winger but are there any available? It is so frustrating to watch a young talented fit 20 year old in Barnes who really does have the potential to go far neglect the basics of the game i.e. you are part of a team and a sum of its parts if you do not put a shift in the rest suffers.

I am trying not to be too critical it is just what I see when watching the games, it seems obvious to me maybe I lack the football intelligence but he bottom line is you must earn the right to win, not just turn up and expect to roll sides over.

Barnes is 22, not 20. He is the same age as Tielemans.

It's remarkable how Barnes is allowed to be off form for months without much criticism whilst Tielemans has a couple of games below his usual standard and people jump straight on him.

Just like with Gray (who is 24 in June by the way), Barnes keeps getting a pass based on his age that others don't.

Barnes has been playing senior football for four years now. He has made over 100 league appearances.

I agree that he could go on to be Premier League player, but it is foolish of us to continue having him around the first team picture at the moment.

Barnes is 22, not 20. He is the same age as Tielemans.

It's remarkable how Barnes is allowed to be off form for months without much criticism whilst Tielemans has a couple of games below his usual standard and people jump straight on him.

Just like with Gray (who is 24 in June by the way), Barnes keeps getting a pass based on his age that others don't.

Barnes has been playing senior football for four years now. He has made over 100 league appearances.

I agree that he could go on to be Premier League player, but it is foolish of us to continue having him around the first team picture at the moment.
That is exactly my point, Teilemans does at least try to get into position and tackle even if he is playing badly.

Maybe we should ask BR what instructions he gives to certain players before we lambast them for not doing what we think they should be doing
(Apart from Chilwell, because that’s fecking obvious, I think )

Maybe we should ask BR what instructions he gives to certain players before we lambast them for not doing what we think they should be doing
(Apart from Chilwell, because that’s fecking obvious, I think )
so BR instructs his wingers not to track back get in position and tackle?

so BR instructs his wingers not to track back get in position and tackle?
If they don't win the ball high up, they prioritise being in a position to receive the ball when we win it back, this has been the same all season and is clearly the instruction.

We prioritise attack over defense in our positioning, Tielemans and Ndidi generally press hard and move wide to win the ball back, which has worked well for much of the season, but with recent tiredness we have been exposed. When we played 3 central defenders it helped as they get across to cover, but this at the expense of runners in attack.

If they don't win the ball high up, they prioritise being in a position to receive the ball when we win it back, this has been the same all season and is clearly the instruction.

We prioritise attack over defense in our positioning, Tielemans and Ndidi generally press hard and move wide to win the ball back, which has worked well for much of the season, but with recent tiredness we have been exposed. When we played 3 central defenders it helped as they get across to cover, but this at the expense of runners in attack.
This has clearly been worked out and is exposed without Ndidi

This has clearly been worked out and is exposed without Ndidi

There is definitely an element of being 'found out' in our recent performances. Everyone watched Man City and the Liverpool exploit our weaknesses relentlessly. It doesn't take a genius to do the same sort of things.

When an opponent push wide players on against us, we struggle badly. We do not cover our full backs. We are getting better at playing out from the back but we will make mistakes and give opponents chances if they press us high. If you stop the supply to Vardy, we have few other threats.

Fundamentally, if you don't let us play how we want to, we quickly fall to pieces.

It is for BR to evolve our set up. I know he's been adjusting the personnel and the formations over recent matches but the same weaknesses remain.

There is definitely an element of being 'found out' in our recent performances. Everyone watched Man City and the Liverpool exploit our weaknesses relentlessly. It doesn't take a genius to do the same sort of things.

When an opponent push wide players on against us, we struggle badly. We do not cover our full backs. We are getting better at playing out from the back but we will make mistakes and give opponents chances if they press us high. If you stop the supply to Vardy, we have few other threats.

Fundamentally, if you don't let us play how we want to, we quickly fall to pieces.

It is for BR to evolve our set up. I know he's been adjusting the personnel and the formations over recent matches but the same weaknesses remain.
I agree fully with what you are saying the point is Perez and Barnes are going to have to adapt and provide both functions, it is lung busting but it can be done.

Did he say where the stats came from?

The stats I've got say he gave the ball away 22 times in the whole match. He made 58 passes, 36 of them went to a team mate.

not just Chilwell. Rob Tanner picks up on the Chilwell and Tielemans issues:
Ben Chilwell and Youri Tielemans look jaded. Leicester giving players time off is exactly what they need
https://theathletic.com/1527858/2020/01/12/leicester-southampton-ben-chilwell/?source=shared-article

Chilwell wasn’t the only one who couldn’t keep hold of the ball. James Maddison gave it away 31 times, and Chilwell’s fellow full-back Ricardo Pereira lost it 26 times, though he also won the ball back more times than any other Leicester player (12).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757