Post Match Leicester 2 Burnley 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex-player I like playing well and we win, an excellent outcome. Tough match and a good victory.

Shambles in the Spurs game. The Spurs equaliser was assessed by VAR and given as a goal even though the big screen showed 'No goal'.

That was nerve wracking.

I’m not sure I want to see Perez again. Gray did more with his first touch.

That was nerve wracking.

I’m not sure I want to see Perez again. Gray did more with his first touch.
Perez was one of our best players in the first half. He couldn't get into the game in the second and he should have scored.

I think Tielemans, Ricardo and Barnes did really well today with Perez in that list for the first half. Chilwell improved slightly in the second half but that wasn't difficult considering how incredibly bad he was during the first 45 minutes.

We've got that BITE. Come to bite the Fox and the Fox will BITE YOU BACK.

Mish-mash performance. Good crowd. Lots of passion. Did not give up. Vardy was electric.

That was a grim endurance challenge. One we'd not have won under Puel. Four successive home wins is strong progress.

Firstly on Burnley, fair play to them. I thought that they were excellent. Their 4-4-2 was much more flexible than in previous seasons and they are a better side than many give them credit for. They deserved at least a point. It looked to me like we defended too deep for their first goal and got lucky for their disallowed one.

My main comment is on our two triangles in this formation. On the right, we have Ricardo, Tielemans and Perez. They combined intelligently throughout. They all worked tirelessly for each other and Ricardo and Tielemans were the best two players on the pitch. Perez needs to deliver in front of goal but, everywhere else, he's doing better than any of the other support forwards.

On the left, we have Chilwell, Maddison and Barnes. Now I know that Maddison and Barnes are contributing the odd goal/assist. However, their general play is atrocious in comparison. They amble around, give the ball away easily, vacate their positions constantly, fail to track back too often, and so on. They exposed Chilwell over and over again. They fail to give Chilwell the equivalent options that Ricardo gets over and over again.

Now Ricardo is a better full back than Chilwell. However, Ricardo is allowed to do well by Tielemans much more than Chilwell is allowed to by Maddison. And I'm convinced that Barnes wouldn't have come out for the second half had he not pulled that cross out from nowhere.

We're desperate for a top class attacking left sided forward in January. A top four position may well depend on it.

Shambles in the Spurs game. The Spurs equaliser was assessed by VAR and given as a goal even though the big screen showed 'No goal'.
VAR overruled two goals in the Wolves match. In one instance the ball was on the centre-spot and the teams lined up for the restart; the first thing anybody knew about the VAR intervention was when the ref picked the ball up, made the TV sign (although I'm not sure how you do that with a ball in your hand), marched back to the penalty area and indicated a free-kick to the defending team.
It's a bloody farce and a lot needs to be sorted out if it is to become universally accepted.

VAR overruled two goals in the Wolves match. In one instance the ball was on the centre-spot and the teams lined up for the restart; the first thing anybody knew about the VAR intervention was when the ref picked the ball up, made the TV sign (although I'm not sure how you do that with a ball in your hand), marched back to the penalty area and indicated a free-kick to the defending team.
It's a bloody farce and a lot needs to be sorted out if it is to become universally accepted.

Correction. VAR intervened to stop two refereeing mistakes. One was handball and the other offside.

I prefer correct decisions.

That was a grim endurance challenge. One we'd not have won under Puel. Four successive home wins is strong progress.

Firstly on Burnley, fair play to them. I thought that they were excellent. Their 4-4-2 was much more flexible than in previous seasons and they are a better side than many give them credit for. They deserved at least a point. It looked to me like we defended too deep for their first goal and got lucky for their disallowed one.

My main comment is on our two triangles in this formation. On the right, we have Ricardo, Tielemans and Perez. They combined intelligently throughout. They all worked tirelessly for each other and Ricardo and Tielemans were the best two players on the pitch. Perez needs to deliver in front of goal but, everywhere else, he's doing better than any of the other support forwards.

On the left, we have Chilwell, Maddison and Barnes. Now I know that Maddison and Barnes are contributing the odd goal/assist. However, their general play is atrocious in comparison. They amble around, give the ball away easily, vacate their positions constantly, fail to track back too often, and so on. They exposed Chilwell over and over again. They fail to give Chilwell the equivalent options that Ricardo gets over and over again.

Now Ricardo is a better full back than Chilwell. However, Ricardo is allowed to do well by Tielemans much more than Chilwell is allowed to by Maddison. And I'm convinced that Barnes wouldn't have come out for the second half had he not pulled that cross out from nowhere.

We're desperate for a top class attacking left sided forward in January. A top four position may well depend on it.
Wow. That's quick even for you. It wasn't Maddison's job to 'protect' Chilwell today. He was playing as a ACM. Blaming him for Chilwell's obvious shortcomings (which, incidentally, have been on show since the back end of last season) is as ludicrous in your assertion that Maddison is 'atrocious'. Barnes caused a huge amount of problems for them today and whilst I agree he wasn't always great in possession and that he made too many mistakes, he still managed to open them up more than once. I will concede that he should have tracked back a little more today and that Albrighton may have been a better option but don't absolve Chilwell of his absolute shit fest of an attempt to defend the cross for their first. He may as well have offered the attacker a written invitation.

It's perplexing that you are often citing others for their criticism of Chilwell but your vehement negativity about Maddison and Barnes is very odd and mostly unfounded.

I dislike matches against Burnley. I dislike them a lot

A nothing side playing a mind numbing rigid defensive 4-4-2 across the lines. It’s very effective, but it’s truly dreadful to watch. God bless their fans for watching that complete horseshit week in week out. They are also a niggly minor-fouling side and waste time from the first minute to the last. Awful stuff

We we’re nowhere near adventurous enough in the first half, and almost pedestrian at times. It was a painful watch

second half we were much better all over the pitch, and after the second I thought we were going to push on and score two or three more

But then came the most baffling and annoying tactical switch I think I’ve seen in years. We played with a bizarre and non-functioning five at the back, and seemingly two defensive midfielders in front of them. We lost our shape totally and completely and invited them to come right at us for the last fifteen minutes non stop, with absolutely no way out for us.
It was absolute madness , and nearly cost us the game - in fact it should have done as we were feckin lucky.

cant comment on the VAR thing as I had assumed it was for handball. I knew it was going to be disallowed, though. As soon as it went in, Moss was straight to his earpiece instead of running (waddling) back to the middle- I was sure that someone had told him straight away that it was dodgy. Be interesting to see later

Overall we were ever so average, but really hard to judge against such an awful anti-footballing team. Ricardo was superb. Tielemans and Ndidi were excellent. Everyone else a 6 out of 10 - although Gray was super when he came on.

Onwards and upwards we go.....

First game of the season for me and I thought we were pretty poor despite the 3 points.

I thought we seemed a bit labarous to begin with and possibly a little arrogant too in that we thought we would just win - no urgency whatsoever and far too casual.

Soyuncu was solid at the back, Ricardo offered his usual attacking support and Tielemans was always on the move and trying to make things happen, but apart from them, the rest of the starters were average at best.

Vardy was almost non existant but he got his goal and that's what he is there to do.

I'm not sure what Barnes and Perez bring to the team though, especially Perez. Barnes can at least provide a goal threat and his lightning pace is an asset but up until his assist, I thought he was pretty woeful. I thought the assist would give him confidence got the 2nd half but he was just as ineffective imo.

Perez though, absolutely nothing at all. I don't think he is a bad player though but he is clearly not a winger or a wide player and he is completely wasted out there. He seemed a strange signing at the time as we only play 1 striker and Perez always seemed to be at his best for Newcastle as a 2nd striker.

Gray offered an infinite amount more than Perez when he came on and I'd probably start with Albrighton and Gray in the next match as they are certainly no worse than what we have seen so far out wide this season.

Chilwell probably deserves a mention too as that was one of his worst games for us too - so many poor passes between Barnes & Chilwell all game it was surprising they both stayed on all game. No real attempts to stop crosses into our box either as McNeil?? had an age to pick out the cross for their goal.

Rogers wasn't at his best either as that change to bring Morgan on really unsettled us and just invited them on to us and seems we got lucky with the VAR call.

Burnley may be upset to not get anything from this but anti-football and time wasting from kick off deserves nothing.

Still though, if we can play poorly like that and still get 3 points, it should shape up to be a good season for us!

Gray got the second assist his cross went straight to Youri

BBC reports that Barnes became the second youngest player to provide two assists for us in the PL (after Heskey). Soccer Saturday also said Barnes made the final ball

BBC reports that Barnes became the second youngest player to provide two assists for us in the PL (after Heskey). Soccer Saturday also said Barnes made the final ball
well their reports are wrong, Gray went down the right wing, drilled it across to Tielemans who took a touch then stuck in the top corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263