Post Match Leicester 2 Tottenham 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, another BBC employee speaks absolute sense on VAR. Lineker, Shearer and co are increasingly looking like old men from another time.

Every one who supports a team outside the top six ( including us lot) has been saying for years they never get the decisions because they are not a 'big club' or aren't managed by Sir AF - Well, now we've got VAR. Okay so we may still not get the throw ins, the free kicks, the corners we should do - but VAR must even up the playing field on offsides, goals and better penalty decisions. Some previous 'big six' clubs may well be plotting to get rid of it

Every one who supports a team outside the top six ( including us lot) has been saying for years they never get the decisions because they are not a 'big club' or aren't managed by Sir AF - Well, now we've got VAR. Okay so we may still not get the throw ins, the free kicks, the corners we should do - but VAR must even up the playing field on offsides, goals and better penalty decisions. Some previous 'big six' clubs may well be plotting to get rid of it
It has for us already

now VAR is in it won't go away, the technology will improve fast and a lot of these complaints will disappear next season when everyone is used to it.

English football always has to be dragged forward

now VAR is in it won't go away, the technology will improve fast and a lot of these complaints will disappear next season when everyone is used to it.

English football always has to be dragged forward

In the long run I think video technology and technology in general will level the playing field. That's why I reckon it'll get used less over time...

I've made a couple of references on here about Maddison being used like Coutinho was by Rodgers at Liverpool (inside left attacker). I think it's fair to say that my observation has received little respect from TBers.

This is from Mr. Maddison himself:

“A lot of teams don’t really play with a No 10 these days. Not in the conventional sense, anyway...the manager and I have spoken about that role he (Coutinho) played in his team, and how sometimes he used Coutinho as a No 8 and other times, off the left in different games. He had the skill set to do well in those roles and now he’s getting me to play there. I believe I have the versatility to mix it up. Listen, I don’t like to be pigeon-holed into having to play in one position. I very rarely do play in one position. I’d like to say I can play different roles.”

In fairness, he’s hardly likely to say he doesn’t want to, or can’t do it, is he?

Could somebody please explain to me what a 'number 8' is and what a 'number 10' is. I still have in mind the terms 'inside right' and 'inside left' although I do realise that even those were not of any real significance when I started on my footballing journey in the early 60s. But these two new terms provide me with no useful information. Why not have a term which really describes the rôle?

Could somebody please explain to me what a 'number 8' is and what a 'number 10' is. I still have in mind the terms 'inside right' and 'inside left' although I do realise that even those were not of any real significance when I started on my footballing journey in the early 60s. But these two new terms provide me with no useful information. Why not have a term which really describes the rôle?

Lol at grandad.

The numbers pretty much apply to the good old days when shirts were numbered 1-11 on a match day. Think of who used to wear number 10 or 8 when that was a thing

So a number 10 is the old-style support striker, or someone who plays in the middle behind the 'number 9' centre forward

And a number 8 would generally be a central attacking midfielder

keeper number 1
Full backs 2 and 3
Centre backs 5 and 6
Wingers 7 and 11
Central midfield 4 and 8
Centre forward number 9
Support striker or playmaker (depending on formation) number 10

Actually centre halves used to 4 and 5, didn't they, with central midfield 6 and 8

Or whatever - he's not a ****ing inside left, and that's that

Some teams had 4 and 5 at the back, others had 5 and 6. It comes from when 2-3-5 (known at the time as 'the pyramid' rather than numerically) gave way to the W-M formation, which then gave way to 4-2-4 and then 4-4-2.

Players were numbered:

11 10 9 8 7
6 5 4
3 2
1​

To begin with, 2 and 3 were full-backs, 4, 5 and 6 were half-backs. The middle one (the centre-half, a term still occassionally used to refer to central defenders) was pulled to the back line by Herbert Chapman when the offside law was liberalised in the 1920s to just two defenders between the attacking player and the goalline while the inside right (8) was pulled back to cover. This was populised as the W-M and left players numbered:

11 9 7
10 8
6 4
3 5 2
1​

In the 1958 World Cup Brazil pushed another half back into the backline, and pushed the 8 back to cover again. Other teams copied, leading to 4-2-4 and depending on whether you pushed back your left-half or your right-half 6 or 4 became another centre-half:

11 10 9 7
8 4
3 6 5 2
1​

In 1966 Alf Ramsey's side were known as the 'wingless wonders' as he pushed them back to play a more active part in all parts of the game. I don't remember what happened to Ramsey's team, but this style of play became the standard pattern of play in England until at least the late 80s:

10 9
11 8 4 7
3 6 5 2
1​

By the time the game became more tactically varied in this country, with 3-5-2, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 3-3-3-1 and so on, squad numbering was common place.

The english 4-3-3 was basically a lopsided cross between 4-4-2 and 4-2-4 with one winger and one wide midfielder. The modern 4-3-3 is very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263