Leicester announce link with India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamworth Fox

:038:

British High Commissioner To India To Launch Football Initiative
Posted on: Mon 10 Mar 2008

A new football initiative that will link Leicester with India was launched at Leicester City Football Club on Friday the 7th March 2008 by the British High Commissioner to India Sir Richard Stagg.

The initiative, entitled Leicester India Football initiative (LIFI), will link the city with Goa in India and enable a group of under-18s to visit the subcontinent later this year to play a Goan football team.

The Foxes have given their backing to the proposal and once it is launched LCFC scouts will visit local community teams and select a squad of All-star under-18 to go and play in Goa.

Keith Vaz MP Leicester East, who has agreed to be a patron, said: "The best way to show the global reach of football is to allow young people to create links with their counterparts on the Indian subcontinent. This imaginative scheme will allow these already existing links to be developed and allow grassroot talent to play on an international level.

Milan Mandaric the Chairman of the LCFC added: "We are delighted to support this initiative. Leicester's links with India are well known and I hope that will increase in the future."

Maybe it would have been a good idea to get a link with a country more renowned for actually producing footballers instead of the one that is the most obvious and is a gimmick to please people.

This will not benefit us just like it didn't last time.

Seen the thread title and thought somebody had just woken from a 100 year sleep.

why don't we go to look in iran, i've heard kaebi is a good player

I blame Vaz.

Fcuking India FFS, how is this going to help us?!?!?!?!?!

I blame Vaz.

Fcuking India FFS, how is this going to help us?!?!?!?!?!

Maybe the plan is city start playing in the indian league, we might win something there? :102:

Last edited:
I can't help but think this has more political undertones than sporting ones.

My thinking is that this is intended to strengthen links between the Indian community in Leicester, and India itself. Thus, finding more voters for Mr Vaz.

But then again I'm paranoid, suspicious and probably on totally the wrong tracks.

Maybe it would have been a good idea to get a link with a country more renowned for actually producing footballers instead of the one that is the most obvious and is a gimmick to please people.

This will not benefit us just like it didn't last time.

It's part of MM's plan to transform us into the most successful hockey team in the country.

Agree with you Drummindefender - what happened to the last Indian link?! One friendly and that's it???

Maybe we can do a statue swap as well... we can have Ghandi and they can get one of Gary Lineker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757