Leicester City Women

we might be one of the only teams in the WSL though were the women's side has their own bespoke training ground, the bigger names share with the men

This will just mean more talk about women's football around Leicester City won't it?

It doesn't remotely interest me. I mean, fair play to them but there are not the team that I support. As far as I can see, they are just likely to take money away from my team because KP will have to substantially subsidise them.

Increasingly, it is creeping into things like the BBC Football site, the Athletic and local and national podcasts. They are all doing sections about the WSL as though it's the same as the men's game. It isn't. It's a different thing entirely.

If you want a men's football section on a website, and a women's section, fine. If you want a podcast about women's football, fine. But don't pretend that the vast majority of football supporters are remotely interested in women's football, but we're not. It is not all part of the same story.

What happens now is that there is a headline somewhere about Chelsea win da da da, and I click on it and it's a women's football story. I'm convinced that they're doing it deliberately to increase clicks for women's stories.

Some are interested and that's absolutely fine. But I'd rather hear about a U12 boys City side because there is a possibility that they might make it to the City team one day. The women's team are as relevant to me as the Leicester basketball side is.

Unless of course a woman can actually play for the real Leicester City. In which case, I'm all for it. But I don't think they can. It doesn't really make any sense to me why they can't. If they can officiate, surely they should be able to play?

Anyway, it's annoying.

Think I feel similar, hence my question about how far away we are from one of the women being good enough to play the men's game.

I mean watching some of the shit in the PL is hard enough.

I think it's great that the women's game is getting better coverage but to be honest I think there is already far too much footy on TV.

It's just yet more football to dilute the overall offering.

actually with the new TV deal just signed they will likely be self sufficient, that said if you aren't interested you don't have to post about it ...
Would mostly agree with that, but the point BN makes about headlines being misleading is a fair one. If you want to be able to say "if you aren't interested, don't look" that's fair, but you cannot as a broadcasting house then post confusing headlines that don't differentiate the two. If in 5 years the City are called "Leicester City Men's team" there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't have one identity to mean both.

Think I feel similar, hence my question about how far away we are from one of the women being good enough to play the men's game.

I mean watching some of the shit in the PL is hard enough.

I think it's great that the women's game is getting better coverage but to be honest I think there is already far too much footy on TV.

It's just yet more football to dilute the overall offering.
Agree with the first point. I think having a mixed pitch would be more interesting.
Though there are no female F1 drivers currently, it's completely within the rules. I would like football to be the same really although it will take time I suspect before we saw a mixed pitch.

Would mostly agree with that, but the point BN makes about headlines being misleading is a fair one. If you want to be able to say "if you aren't interested, don't look" that's fair, but you cannot as a broadcasting house then post confusing headlines that don't differentiate the two. If in 5 years the City are called "Leicester City Men's team" there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't have one identity to mean both.
they don't, women's football has its own section on the reporting websites, you'd have to be an idiot to get the 2 confused

they don't, women's football has its own section on the reporting websites, you'd have to be an idiot to get the 2 confused
This is from "BBC Football" landing page right now. In this instance - 3 articles about women's football. Here they are all clearly noted as being women's football, but that definitely isn't always the case.

1617891868686.png

Yesterday, SSN;
just to reiterate - I'm not saying it doesn't deserve to be on there. But at a glance that could be any Leeds United player being called up by England.
1617892051978.png

Damn it Franks you absolute IDIOT!!!!

Franks you are trying really hard to prove a stupid point, if you actually get confused with that Nikita Parris article then you need help

Franks you are trying really hard to prove a stupid point, if you actually get confused with that Nikita Parris article then you need help

Well I clearly need help too as I do it daily. Here is a shot from the BBC Football site right now. The article on the left is fine because it clearly states enough so that I know what it is. The one right next to it doesn't. You might say that I should realise that the image is a woman - actually is it? I'm still not sure. I have no clue who 'Riise' is - is it the former Liverpool player? So I clicked on it and it's about women's football.
1617893583531.png

On a side note, this is similar to me to the determination of everyone in the media to refer to Manchester City as 'City'.

I kicked off with the Athletic last season because of an article there that was headlined something like "City to say goodbye to Silva". It was about the time that Adrian Silva left Leicester so I clicked on it and it was - of course - about David Silva leaving Man City.

I really don't think it should be beyond journalists to make it clear what their story is about from the headline. I don't give a shit about David Silva just as I don't give a shit about whoever Riise is.

actually with the new TV deal just signed they will likely be self sufficient

Well that is some reach you've made there. For a start, KP have gifted them the Belvoir Drive training ground. This has a market value of circa £7m I think from the accounts. If the women's side were not being subsidised by KP, we could have sold it and put that money towards something the actual Leicester City would benefit from.

Going professional last summer meant paying a full staff of players, coaches, ground staff, chefs, doctors, etc. They are sponsored by KP so there is no independent income. Vitually every penny they cost comes straight from KP (via Leicester City).

Now they've been promoted, I fully expect them to start spending money on some more established female players as well as investing in other aspects of the side as well as increased wages. It's what KP do. If you genuinely think that will all be funded by this TV deal you are incredibly naive.

Running this team will cost Leicester City. If you think that's okay fine, but you cannot seriously pretend that it won't.

Agree with the first point. I think having a mixed pitch would be more interesting.
Though there are no female F1 drivers currently, it's completely within the rules. I would like football to be the same really although it will take time I suspect before we saw a mixed pitch.

I believe that there are only two forms of sport where women compete against men, all motorsports and anything equestrian.

I'm making the point in a fun way. Here's another, a tweet from BBC Sport
View attachment 15943

Who is this about?
Ah, beans. BN has
Well I clearly need help too as I do it daily. Here is a shot from the BBC Football site right now. The article on the left is fine because it clearly states enough so that I know what it is. The one right next to it doesn't. You might say that I should realise that the image is a woman - actually is it? I'm still not sure. I have no clue who 'Riise' is - is it the former Liverpool player? So I clicked on it and it's about women's football.
View attachment 15942
For a second I actually thought you'd cheated a bit by removing the 'women's football' tag from the headline on the right. So I checked and nope - it isn't there.

On a side note, this is similar to me to the determination of everyone in the media to refer to Manchester City as 'City'.

I kicked off with the Athletic last season because of an article there that was headlined something like "City to say goodbye to Silva". It was about the time that Adrian Silva left Leicester so I clicked on it and it was - of course - about David Silva leaving Man City.

I really don't think it should be beyond journalists to make it clear what their story is about from the headline. I don't give a shit about David Silva just as I don't give a shit about whoever Riise is.
There is a general slide of quality of headlines particularly with the BBC - their web pages are rife with headlines that are designed to entice clicks rather than give you an actual view of what is happening.

I'm not a 'defund the BBC' type, but if the BBC is working based on the same profit-driven motives as other news enterprises, what's the point of a license fee?

I believe that there are only two forms of sport where women compete against men, all motorsports and anything equestrian.
I know I'm being pedantic here, but there are obviously also mixed events, where women compete against men (mixed doubles tennis & badminton, cross country skiing team events etc). I know that's not what you're talking about, but just thought I'd add it to the discussion.

View attachment 15942
I don't get it. Are you angry that, as a Leicester fan, the article isn't about a Liverpool player from nearly 20 years ago? (who incidentally looks nothing like the rather obviously to my eyes female in the picture) Will you click on just about anything if you think it's about men's football?

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854