Pre Match Leicester v Aston Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely not. Vardy's play has been ball in behind, on the ground to get into a one on one position with the keeper.

That has simply not been possible under Rodgers for some time, given that he likes to get the ball and pass it side to side until there are a full 11 players defending.

So if Vardy scores tonight, it'll only reinforce how poor BR's tactics had become.

Rodgers tactics didn't suddenly change. Vardy scored plenty under our possession approach.

In fact, our system is actually based around having that type of striker.

To be honest, if Vardy suddenly turns up now that there has been a management change it means he'll sink pretty low in my estimation.

I'm giving him the respect of appreciating the fact that he's 36 and most players, certainly strikers, that age are done.

If he's been deliberately holding back, he's a twat.

I'm with you a bit on this and have been thinking the same for a while.

I think Vardy is done - but I suspect he'll get another chance and hopefully he at least has fight left him in if not the ability.

But if it turns out he's not been playing for Rodgers, then it's disappointing - because I feel like he mightve done the same towards the end of Claudio and Puel's reigns too.

Scored a lot under Puel initially too if I recall.

And scored 15 last year

Question is whether he’s done (possibly), or like Barnes, Ndidi, KDH etc., he’s just suffered from this season‘s negative approach to every game

It's strange how we all generally acknowledge it's hard to judge any players levels under Rodgers but then be willing to throw our greatest ever player and talisman in the bin.

I'd start him tonight without a second thought.
Exactly this. It's ****ing stupidity at its finest.

He must start and preferably in a two with Nacho.

To be honest, if Vardy suddenly turns up now that there has been a management change it means he'll sink pretty low in my estimation.

I'm giving him the respect of appreciating the fact that he's 36 and most players, certainly strikers, that age are done.

Nope. He scored 15 goals last season and was in a rhythm. He's not been given the chance to get into one this season.

You can't hold back when your sitting on a bench, being played in front of a ****ing ludicrous midfield or being hung out to dry by a manager who is completely incapable of changing or adapting on a game by game basis let alone a minute by minute one.

If he starts and plays as we know he can, it'll simply reinforce the incompetence of a manager who refused to accommodate him properly. Exactly like Puel.

Head-to-head

• Leicester are looking to complete just their third Premier League double over Aston Villa, having done so in 1996-97 and 2019-20.
  • Aston Villa have won just two of their 13 Premier League away games against Leicester City - a 5-0 triumph in January 2004 and a 1-0 victory in October 2020.
  • Leicester have failed to score in the last two home Premier League meetings - they have only failed to score in three such successive matches against Manchester United and Manchester City.

Leicester City

• Leicester City have lost five of their last seven Premier League home games - they had been defeated in only four of the previous 19.
  • Leicester have conceded at least once in each of their last 13 Premier League games, the longest current run without a clean sheet of any top-flight team.
  • They remain the only side without a Premier League clean sheet since the World Cup, shipping 24 goals in 13 games.
  • The Foxes have dropped a league-high 22 points from winning positions in the Premier League this season. It is their second-highest tally after dropping 28 in 2003-04 - when they were relegated from the top flight.
  • Kelechi Iheanacho has scored seven goals and assisted four in all competitions against Aston Villa - his highest tally of goal involvements against any English side.

Aston Villa

• Aston Villa have won nine of their 15 games under Unai Emery - only Arsenal, with 12, and Manchester City, with 10, have won more often since Emery's appointment.
  • Villa had won just nine games in their previous 34 matches prior to Emery taking over as head coach.
  • They have scored in their last 15 Premier League matches - the longest current run of any team.
  • Emery has lost his last three Premier League games against Leicester - he's only ever lost more consecutive league fixtures as a manager against Barcelona, Real Madrid and Sevilla.
  • Villa haven't won any of their last five midweek Premier League games, since a 3-0 triumph at Leeds United in March 2022.
  • Ollie Watkins is one of only three players to hit double figures for goals in each of the last three top-flight seasons (14 in 2020-21, 11 in 2021-22 and 10 in 2022-23), along with Harry Kane and Mohamed Salah.
  • Watkins is the first Villa player to score in five successive Premier League away games.

BN he has hardly had the opportunity to hold back and if he starts and plays a blinder it will not prove anything other than the team was up for it and got after Villa. If we are aggressive and on point we are capable of dismantling 90% of the sides in this league.

Either Nacho or Vardy for me tonight but for Christ sake can we at least land a punch on our opponent?!?

BN he has hardly had the opportunity to hold back and if he starts and plays a blinder it will not prove anything other than the team was up for it and got after Villa. If we are aggressive and on point we are capable of dismantling 90% of the sides in this league.

Either Nacho or Vardy for me tonight but for Christ sake can we at least land a punch on our opponent?!?

He's played more than the other two strikers and delivered less.

How many penalties have we won this season? Pitifully few, which tells me we aren't creating scoring opportunities in the box.

I didn't realise we'd lost 5 of last 7 home league games. and I've been to them all.
too much pre match Doom Bar, me thinks!

He's played more than the other two strikers and delivered less.
In the English Premier League season 2022/23, Jamie Vardy has played 11 matches (plus 16 as a sub). He has 7 shots on target from a total of 14 shots and have scored 1 goal (2.62 xG). Jamie Vardy averages 7 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 56%, and has 4 assists. Jamie Vardy has received 2 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for Jamie Vardy in the English Premier League 2022/23 season is 6.09.

In the English Premier League season 2022/23, Kelechi Iheanacho has played 7 matches (plus 15 as a sub). He has 8 shots on target from a total of 22 shots and have scored 3 goals (3.74 xG). Kelechi Iheanacho averages 10 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 76%, and has 4 assists. Kelechi Iheanacho has received 0 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for Kelechi Iheanacho in the English Premier League 2022/23 season is 6.38.

In the English Premier League season 2022/23, Patson Daka has played 12 matches (plus 9 as a sub). They have 12 shots on target from a total of 18 shots and have scored 4 goals (3.00 xG). Patson Daka averages 10 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 69% and has 3 assists. Patson Daka has received 2 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for Patson Daka in the English Premier League 2022/23 season is 6.39.

Apart from xG there really isn't a great deal between them, Daka has a higher accuracy with his shots on target compared to Vardy and then Iheanacho. Iheanacho is the least accurate but he is at least shooting more, was Vardy instructed to link the play together more BR? From watching the games he has played over the last 3 seasons it could be argued that is the case.

Personally I would like to see Iheanacho and Vardy upfront with madders in the middle as an attacking midfielder, 3-5-2 would be the ideal set up. Vardy has been poor this season, but to suggest he has downed tools for BR and if he starts tonight and bags a brace means he is a charlatan would be a bit strong imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566