Pre Match Leicester v Brighton - FA Cup R5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of those teams do you think we couldn't beat?
They're teams who weren't good enough for the Champions League.
Haven't seen the latest (2019) figures for Europe, but we seem to have the sixth highest wage bill of the teams in both the Europa and FA Cups.

Of the teams left in it, there's only AC Milan I wouldn't fancy playing

Rest are all very beatable

These are the 32 teams still in the Europa League. Lots of decent teams in there I think, but none that I look at instantly think "no way could we beat them" - although my knowledge of a lot of those teams isn't exactly red hot!

I think we could probably beat most of those teams on our day though, but some would probably be an upset for us to win. But what makes it hard with the Europa is that we'd need to beat them over 2 legs, and it's not only a question of can we beat one of those good teams, but you need to beat several of them to get to the final.

What that list of winners does show is that while there is a lot of dross in the Europa League, the ones who win are strong sides.

Wolfsberg (AUT) vs Tottenham (ENG)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)* vs Club Brugge (BEL*)
Real Sociedad (ESP) vs Manchester United (ENG*)
Benfica (POR) vs Arsenal (ENG)
Crvena zvezda (SRB) vs AC Milan (ITA)
Antwerp (BEL) vs Rangers (SCO)
Slavia Praha (CZE) vs Leicester (ENG)
Salzburg (AUT)* vs Villarreal (ESP)
Braga (POR) vs Roma (ITA)
Krasnodar (RUS)* vs Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Young Boys (SUI) vs Leverkusen (GER)
Molde (NOR) vs Hoffenheim (GER)
Granada (ESP) vs Napoli (ITA)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) vs Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR*)
LOSC Lille (FRA) vs Ajax (NED*)
Olympiacos (GRE)* vs PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Bringing it back to Brighton (since this is the pre-match thread for the FA Cup game after all), it does show that if we want to progress in the EL it's going to take our strongest team being on their game, so it means we can't put out our first team or even close to it in the FA Cup.

I never bloody said we could t beat them, we can beat anyone on our day.

I said let's not pretend that top teams don't usually win the EL.

If you want to tell me that those I listed aren't top teams then I would say you are wrong.

Not that difficult

I never bloody said we could t beat them, we can beat anyone on our day.

I said let's not pretend that top teams don't usually win the EL.

If you want to tell me that those I listed aren't top teams then I would say you are wrong.

Not that difficult

Top teams are in the Champions League. The teams that win the EL are the next level down. We're at that level.

Top teams are in the Champions League. The teams that win the EL are the next level down. We're at that level.

Some of those teams were in the CL. Just because they may have had a bad or difficult group stage doesn't make them a non top team.

Some of those teams were in the CL. Just because they may have had a bad or difficult group stage doesn't make them a non top team.
To add, Chelsea won the Champions League with a PE teacher caretaker manager and then won the Europa League next year with arguably a better squad and a much better manager.

Ward

Castagne
Amartey
Soyunchu
Thomas

Mendy
Choudhury

Under
Madison
Albrighton

Iheanacho

Apparently that twat on youtube is also a PE teacher.
I know who you mean. Absolute ****, trying to get kids and adults to exercise and have a bit of fun with it.

Having seen Tavares on Youtube and a few U23 clips he looks like he's got decent skills, composure/pace and puts himself about a bit. What i can't figure out (and it might be injury) is why he's only played 5 games for the u23's and hasn't really been near getting on the bench if he's that good, and all the big European sides are monitoring him?
Would be very happy if it turns out we've got both him and Dewsbury Hall ready to push the midfield in the way that Barnes came back from West Brom to push the forwards last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757