Pre Match Leicester v Manchester United FA Cup QF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping we go 3412 again for this with the squad we've got available. Makes sense but we have to play aggressively. If we fake to play a pressing game but forget to put pressure on the ball then we are in for a long day!
Ndidi pressing on to Fernandes
Perez getting on the wrong side of Fred and Mctominay to stop them dictating play from the base of their midfield.
I think Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu move the ball great between them and Soyuncu and Fofana even showed signs of underlapping the fullbacks to break the lines on Sunday. With Ndidi or Tielemans dropping in as they went. Way better than when it's any other 3 back there. They allow us to play a way that we just can't with Amartey, Thomas, Fuchs, or if Ndidi has had to be one of the three.
the below is arguably two players short of our best 11 (Maddison and Barnes), although Justin would have a massive argument for pushing one of Castagne or Ricardo out of the side.

Schmeichel
Fofana Evans Soyuncu
Ricardo Ndidi Tielemans Castagne
Perez
Iheanacho Vardy

Hopefully Maddison Praet, albrighton on the bench for if something isn't working right.

I'm hoping we go 3412 again for this with the squad we've got available. Makes sense but we have to play aggressively. If we fake to play a pressing game but forget to put pressure on the ball then we are in for a long day!
Ndidi pressing on to Fernandes
Perez getting on the wrong side of Fred and Mctominay to stop them dictating play from the base of their midfield.
I think Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu move the ball great between them and Soyuncu and Fofana even showed signs of underlapping the fullbacks to break the lines on Sunday. With Ndidi or Tielemans dropping in as they went. Way better than when it's any other 3 back there. They allow us to play a way that we just can't with Amartey, Thomas, Fuchs, or if Ndidi has had to be one of the three.
the below is arguably two players short of our best 11 (Maddison and Barnes), although Justin would have a massive argument for pushing one of Castagne or Ricardo out of the side.

Schmeichel
Fofana Evans Soyuncu
Ricardo Ndidi Tielemans Castagne
Perez
Iheanacho Vardy

Hopefully Maddison Praet, albrighton on the bench for if something isn't working right.
why were you including Thomas when talking about CBs?

as it happens think I would prefer we drop one of the 3 CBs and bring Praet into the midfield

Kasper

Ricardo CB1 CB2 Castagne

Praet Ndidi Tielemans

Perez

Iheanacho Vardy​

why were you including Thomas when talking about CBs?

as it happens think I would prefer we drop one of the 3 CBs and bring Praet into the midfield

Kasper

Ricardo CB1 CB2 Castagne

Praet Ndidi Tielemans

Perez

Iheanacho Vardy​

I think it would be mad to go with an untested system in an FA Cup Quarter Final.

Plus in that system, the fullbacks would have to do a lot more defending and we'd lose our width.

Has to be 5-3-2/3-5-2 again for this one

I caught the last 10/15 mins of their game against Wham yesterday and thought Man Utd looked very leggy and tired.

They've still got a tough Europa League game on Thursday, where they're currently on the back foot, and will surely go for that. Hopefully it goes to extra time...

Whereas we've got another week off. Hopefully this could be a big deciding factor in our favour

I think it would be mad to go with an untested system in an FA Cup Quarter Final.

On the contrary, I think that our best performances this season have come whenever we've surprised our opponents.

Yesterday, it was picking Perez and his position that completely baffled Sheff Utd.

Teams are so well prepared nowadays that it is the surprise element that is often the edge.

We can spend all week preparing whatever too. I hope we do set up differently.

On the contrary, I think that our best performances this season have come whenever we've surprised our opponents.

Yesterday, it was picking Perez and his position that completely baffled Sheff Utd.

Teams are so well prepared nowadays that it is the surprise element that is often the edge.

We can spend all week preparing whatever too. I hope we do set up differently.

Maybe, but I also think that formation would be awful for us as we'd be far too central and our full backs would get pinned back with no one in front of them - or you end up with Tielemans being dragged out to left wing for example to help cover defence.

5-3-2/3-5-2/3-4-1-2 or some variation of that is the best fit for the players we have available, has everyone in their correct positions and playing to the strengths of each player. To me, there's no other option

There has been a lot of discussion about how many matches our players have played this season ... well Man Utd's players have played significantly more than the majority of ours and continue to play 2 games a week.

I agree that our lack of mid week games may help us significantly.

Plus in that system, the fullbacks would have to do a lot more defending and we'd lose our width.

Has to be 5-3-2/3-5-2 again for this one
we are going to lose our width anyway because United will make us defend more than Sheffield United did, hell every other team in the league has done when we've played a back 3, don't kid yourself it would very much be a back 5 on Sunday should we pick the same team at least this way we have an extra man in midfield without dropping one of the strikers

I went to Wembley in '69 after being with my Dad and Uncle to every round leading up to it. We lost and I was absolutely gutted - My Uncle said, "Don't worry, we'll be back next year."

We weren't and we were relegated to boot. Life lesson: - your favorite uncle is obliged to lie to you to try and cheer you up.

Now, more than 50 years later - is it time to give it a proper go?

Fa cup is the thing. We're a pub quiz answer due to our defeats in finals without winning. We have a chance to cement our place as a pub quiz answer for a bit longer or **** off being a chance to win beer tokens by hairychopped ****ers drinking pints of orange cordial at 30p a pop potentially fund their pints of beer the following week.

The last time I watched an FA cup final (on TV obviously) was a game that kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and it was the last game of the season (I think). I don't remember who was playing.

The last time I watched an FA cup final (on TV obviously) was a game that kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and it was the last game of the season (I think). I don't remember who was playing.
Liverpool v Sunderland, 1992

It's about fecking time we got to a semi final at least. Since 1982, we've managed to go out 30 times in a row between the third and sixth rounds. That includes five losses in quarter finals.

I'm just saying to the footballing gods that it's about fecking time.

View attachment 15890
Wycombe that was when panickbye missed a sitter if I recall still cannot believe how we lost that game.

hairychopped ****ers drinking pints of orange cordial at 30p a pop potentially fund their pints of beer the following week.

ah, I see you've met <insert forum name of choice> then?

Aside, I don't think I've ever been able to drink a pint of cordial/orange juice and lemonade. Certainly not 2. Besides defeating the purpose, I find both the volume and taste too much.

Kiwi mates of mine, practiced if not hardened drinkers, deliberately drink weak lager if they know they're going to be drinking all day. The name of the game to keep on drinking, keep the buzz going, without actually falling over.

Back on topic-ish; I lost $15 (private bet at a football club party) on the 1982 Spurs semi. I did earn praises though for paying up because, according to the 'bookie', most people apparently "welsh" on such bets. Other than obligatory office sweeps on the Grand National etc, I think that's my only ever bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363