Pre Match Leicester Vs Chelsea FA Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
My selection would include a third central defender for two reasons.

Firstly, that's the best way to protect Justin (who looks vulnerable defensively and will be exploited by strong opposition) and, secondly, because Chelsea embarrassed us at set pieces in our last meeting. The way we've defended set pieces over these two matches leads me to believe that trouble is ahead unless we get some extra height in there.

I would also want Iheanacho alongside Vardy. Apart from Ndidi, not fussed who plays in midfield, my preference would be Praet and Tielemans though.

4-1-4-1 was the general set up when we are our best - Alex has it right apart from his ludicrous selection of Matty James at right back...

Praet is fast becoming our best CM, pretty terrible when you consider he's not been playing.

He is a very good player who could inject some dynamism into the middle.

Same team started against Watford for me.

That's the best XI we have, and I'd really hope that a chance at an FA Cup semi final gives them the added motivation to put in a performance.

My selection would include a third central defender for two reasons.

Firstly, that's the best way to protect Justin (who looks vulnerable defensively and will be exploited by strong opposition) and, secondly, because Chelsea embarrassed us at set pieces in our last meeting. The way we've defended set pieces over these two matches leads me to believe that trouble is ahead unless we get some extra height in there.

I would also want Iheanacho alongside Vardy. Apart from Ndidi, not fussed who plays in midfield, my preference would be Praet and Tielemans though.
See my team selection in my previous post

Schmeichel
Evans Soyuncu Fuchs
Justin Ndidi Tielemans Chilwell
Maddison
Perez Vardy

I'm dreading this. The usual prematch fear/pessism but with an added dose of defeatism due to current form and apparent attitude.

I prey that cometh the hour etc but, tbh, I see a good performance as being one more to due to circumstance than plan. Our form of late does not fill me with hope.

I'm dreading this. The usual prematch fear/pessism but with an added dose of defeatism due to current form and apparent attitude.

I prey that cometh the hour etc but, tbh, I see a good performance as being one more to due to circumstance than plan. Our form of late does not fill me with hope.

We definitely need a really positive start and an early goal. That transforms us

Chilwell to play like Roberto Carlos in his pomp in front of Lampard & then revert back to normal vs Everton on Wednesday

Two things I'm hoping for:
1) Chelsea have watched our two recent games.
2) We play competly differently from our two recent games.
3) We thrash them.

Ok, that's three things, dispite Brexit.

Praet has to start

Leicester are winless in all eight previous FA Cup matches against Chelsea (D2 L6), going out at the quarter-final stage in their past two ties against the Blues in 2011-12 and 2017-18.

Chelsea have only faced Hull City (11 games) and Burnley (nine) more often in the FA Cup without losing than their eight unbeaten games against Leicester.

Leicester have been eliminated from all 10 domestic cup ties against Chelsea (four League Cup, six FA Cup), the joint-worst record by a team against an opponent in FA Cup/League Cup ties, along with Stoke City vs Liverpool (eliminated in all 10 ties).

Chelsea have lost only two of their past 20 games against Leicester in all competitions (W13 D5 L2), although they are winless in four against the Foxes (D3 L1).

Leicester are winless in all eight previous FA Cup matches against Chelsea (D2 L6), going out at the quarter-final stage in their past two ties against the Blues in 2011-12 and 2017-18.

Chelsea have only faced Hull City (11 games) and Burnley (nine) more often in the FA Cup without losing than their eight unbeaten games against Leicester.

Leicester have been eliminated from all 10 domestic cup ties against Chelsea (four League Cup, six FA Cup), the joint-worst record by a team against an opponent in FA Cup/League Cup ties, along with Stoke City vs Liverpool (eliminated in all 10 ties).

Chelsea have lost only two of their past 20 games against Leicester in all competitions (W13 D5 L2), although they are winless in four against the Foxes (D3 L1).
Sounds like an easy win for us.

I just had a look at our fixtures after this. We have four games in nine days starting tomorrow. Surely, we have to rotate quite a bit over those games and surely the Premier League matches have to take precedence? It isn't realistic to put more than a few of the players out tomorrow that we will want playing at Everton on Wednesday.

Man Utd have made eight changes for their cup tie today. I think it is fair to expect Chelsea to make a lot of changes from Thursday too. They are our rivals and we cannot allow them to be fresher for league matches than we are.

Add to this that this is the least best time to do well in the FA Cup in history. No fans for a semi final or final makes the whole thing largely meaningless to me. The priority must be getting some points as finishing in a Champions League position is worth a fortune to the club and will be critical to retaining our best players.

Therefore, on reflection, I'd go with:

Schmeichel
Justin Morgan Soyuncu Fuchs
Choudhury Mendy Praet
Perez Iheanacho Gray

Five changes from Brighton and we'd be able to make eight changes on Wednesday.

I know it's all about money and that jazz nowadays. But I'd defo take an fa cup over champions league qualification. I hope we go balls deep for this one.

Yes, I think we should be concentrating on.... our vacation plans.

I reckon we should go full strength tomorrow, and hope Chelsea don't - that'll give us a fighting chance. I'm reconciled to dropping league position anyway but I'd love to make the FA Cup final.

Imagine our 1st team getting beaten by a much changed Chelsea team..... Season over as we would not be able to recover mentally from that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757