Linux Mint - Black Screen of Death?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

For the first time in my experience, Linux has crashed on me!

I was preparing a report in KMyMoney and changing print margins. When I clicked on OK I got a black (DOS?) screen with error messages and although my mouse and keyboard were still active I could actually input anything or get the black screen to 'move on'.

I tried pressing various key combinations (does ALT/CTRL/DEL even work as such in Linux?) but ended up just having to restart the computer.

Sadly I didn't think to take a picture of the screen as I just wanted to quickly get on.

Whilst not expecting a diagnosis based on these sparse details, has anyone else experienced anything similar and if so is there a recognised method of getting back to a working state rather than a hard reset?

Thanks Gurus and techies :icon_bigg

Come on Macky, hurry up and wake up from that spliff induced coma - I need help here :icon_bigg

Come on Macky, hurry up and wake up from that spliff induced coma - I need help here :icon_bigg

It wasn't just spliff induced, it was mostly vodka.
Never experienced it to be honest spionboi, but I'd be looking in the direction of graphics or maybe print drivers.
Were you able to type at the prompt? Your original post doesn't make it clear, there is a command to restart your desktop, something along the lines of "startx", but a hard restart is probably just as good.

Should use a real OS like Windows...

Yeah spion, you should definitely spend hundreds of pounds to buy a less secure, less capable and less configurable real OS like Windows

Yeah spion, you should definitely spend hundreds of pounds to buy a less secure, less capable and less configurable real OS like Windows

I bought Windows 8 for £25, it definitely wasn't worth that but I needed it for work.

Pfft Microsoft have more money so therefore it is the best :)

It wasn't just spliff induced, it was mostly vodka.
Never experienced it to be honest spionboi, but I'd be looking in the direction of graphics or maybe print drivers.
Were you able to type at the prompt? Your original post doesn't make it clear, there is a command to restart your desktop, something along the lines of "startx", but a hard restart is probably just as good.

No, although the keyboard was active (CAPS LOCK etc still toggling) I wasn't able to input anything at the prompt.

No, although the keyboard was active (CAPS LOCK etc still toggling) I wasn't able to input anything at the prompt.

This might be a silly question, but have you tried plugging it in to your sofa or better still a multi-pack of Monster Munch ?

If you ignore the metro type stuff which is very easily done then I fail to see he difference really.

This might be a silly question, but have you tried plugging it in to your sofa or better still a multi-pack of Monster Munch ?

Not silly at all judging by the amount of times that particular suggestion is offered as a remedy to various questions asked on this forum :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669