Pre Match Liverpool v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
in a throw back to Anfield of yesteryear this game will be won by a wonder strike from a left winger called Barnes

Liverpool played yesterday, we go there less than 72 hours later and some here want to frustrate them? Their defence looked a shambles and fabinio was sucking air in through his ass after 60 minutes... Bollox to playing 2 holding midfielders. Keep the same team and same formation and up the tempo... Let's run them ragged.

Liverpool are unbeaten in eight home Premier League matches against Leicester City (W6 D2 L0) since losing 0-2 in May 2000.

Leicester haven’t avoided defeat in consecutive Premier League matches against Liverpool since a run of seven between December 1996 and May 2000.

Liverpool’s current run of 16 consecutive Premier League victories is the second longest ever in English top-flight history, bettered only by Manchester City between August-December 2017 (18).

Liverpool are unbeaten in their last 43 home league games (W33 D10) – the longest current run in the top five European leagues, and Liverpool’s second longest ever in top-flight history. Their previous best of 63 between February 1978-December 1980 was eventually ended by Leicester.

Since Brendan Rodgers was appointed Leicester manager, only Liverpool (49) and Manchester City (46) have won more Premier League points than the Foxes (31).

Leicester have lost 11 of their last 13 Premier League games against sides starting the day top of the table (D2), with their last such victory coming away against Manchester United in January 1998.

This is Brendan Rodgers’ first return to Anfield since leaving Liverpool in October 2015. Only one manager to have previously managed the Reds in the Premier League has won away against them in the competition – Roy Hodgson in April 2012 with West Brom (W1 D3 L9).

Leicester striker Jamie Vardy has scored seven Premier League goals against Liverpool – only Andrew Cole (11) and Thierry Henry (8) have scored more against the Reds in Premier League history.

Since the start of 2010-11 – when Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Spurs finished as the top six for the first time – only Sergio Aguero (118) has a better minutes per goal ratio against the ‘big six’ in the Premier League than Leicester’s Jamie Vardy (150) (min. 15 goals).

Last game before the international break. Go he’ll for leather. Leave nothing on the pitch. Come away knowing you have given all you can.

Same team as last week. Closing people down and working hard isn't exclusive to choudhury. Praet looks great at it.
If we need a spark then bring Madders on in the final 30 to run at them when they're tired.
Let's show them no respect and put our stamp on the game. I'd rather we gave it our all than pussy footing around playing the "small team".

we must have the desire to win everything, every header every challenge we must be first to every ball for the full 90 mins. We have the quality to damage any side in this league! It is about belief they must not do what we did when we played Utd at old Trafford.

we must have the desire to win everything, every header every challenge we must be first to every ball for the full 90 mins. We have the quality to damage any side in this league! It is about belief they must not do what we did when we played Utd at old Trafford.
We went to United thinking we were a small team. If we want to be top 4 then we have to act and play like the top 4. We have the footballing ability... We now need the mindset too.

In an interview with Jamie Carragher [it's on FoxesTalk if you want to read it], when talking about playing football, Brendan said "safe is death to me".

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

In an interview with Jamie Carragher [it's on FoxesTalk if you want to read it], when talking about playing football, Brendan said "safe is death to me".

Let's see what tomorrow brings!
Why didn’t you just copy and paste the link in here instead of trying to send people to FoxesTalk?

There is a question I have been wanting to ask Brendan Rodgers since our first conversation when he was appointed Liverpool’s manager seven years ago.

“You called me and said you were thinking about me joining your backroom team and then changed your mind. What happened?”

I think Brendan is a bit taken aback.

“Sorry for ruining your coaching career!” he laughs. “I remember thinking how much I was looking forward to working with you and Stevie [Gerrard] and it would be a good idea to have you on the coaching staff. Then when we met I got the feeling that you were still focused on playing for another season. It would have been difficult to do both. So apologies if I stopped you being a big manager now.”

This was my sliding doors moment, I tell him – all these years I could have avoided working with Gary Neville.

Never mind. There is no lingering grudge. I have come to Leicester City’s training ground to find out if Rodgers is similarly at ease with his own career path, as he heads to Anfield for the first time since departing in 2015.

Both Rodgers and Liverpool have moved on, and spectacularly so. Liverpool, under Jürgen Klopp, are European champions and established title contenders, while Rodgers was a serial winner at Celtic and is living up to his billing as Britain’s finest coach at Leicester, whom he has transformed into the team best equipped to break into the top six, or even the top four.

But I want to know how he looks upon his three-year stint at Anfield now that some time has passed? It was a reign in which he came as close as any Liverpool manager in the preceding 24 years to winning the league title, yet which ended amid unfair accusations his thrilling team was built around one world-class player rather than dynamic coaching.

I want to know how he feels about claims that Liverpool were too naive in that critical Chelsea game at the end of the 2013-14 season, what went wrong after Luis Suárez’s sale, and how it felt to see Klopp move into his old house, as well as his office, and become a Champions League winner.

And I want to know whether, after taking the Liverpool job at just 39, he feels the chance came too early in his career. On this point, there seems agreement.

“When I look at it now, with over 500 games as a manager, I think, ‘Christ I was three years as a manager before I was at Liverpool’,” says Rodgers. “Obviously at that time you are confident about doing it. It was an opportunity I could not turn down.

"But when you look back it is very young to be going into a job of that magnitude. I felt I was ready to do it. What I have learned as the years go by is like a wine you get better with age. Only when you go into club that size - or even when you go on pre-season with Liverpool – you understand the scale of it. When you get 94,000 people at a game in Australia you see it. It did not frighten me. I wanted to enjoy it.

“But one of the things I took from Liverpool is this; you think you are ready when you go in but only when you come away do you see how you deal with pressure. When you are younger as a manager you want to show you are not under pressure. Actually the best way to cope is to accept you are under pressure and what you have to do is regulate that pressure and find a filter for it. Make sure it does not affect you so much.

"When you are working for the big clubs – at an elite level – it is always going to be there. I think since 2015 I deal with it much better. That just comes from experience. I hope to be coaching for another 20 years but I knew after being at Liverpool I could manage any club in the world.

“No matter where you go after Liverpool, there are never going to be more expectations than there are at Anfield. It was a great part of my journey and it made me a better manager.”

I was there on day one as Rodgers sought to introduce his imaginative style of coaching and man-management. It was a challenging inauguration period.

“You put me in the Europa League team with Jordan Henderson!” I remind him.

“Aye, but you worked your way back into the league side!” comes the reply.

Rodgers is laughing, but he wants to make a serious point. “You have to remember where Liverpool were at in 2012. I was Swansea manager and we played and beat Liverpool the last game of the previous season. Liverpool were eighth. I had the chance to go to another club that finished higher. With the history of the club it felt such a privilege and when I looked at it there was more scope to improve.

“There were some good players yet the club had not qualified for the Champions League for five years and I wanted to get back to that level.

“But my first job was to get players off the wage bill. Players like Andy Carroll, Pepe Reina, Maxi Rodríguez – a great player – and Alberto Aquilani had to be moved on because of that. It was an incredible journey we went on for the next 18 months. Wherever I go, when I meet Liverpool fans they talk about that 2013-14 season.”

That year was the pinnacle, yet even the praise for this thrilling campaign is contaminated by what I consider unjust criticism – that the whole title bid was effectively the Luis Suárez Show. Liverpool’s deterioration after Suárez left in 2014 provided more grist for that argument, and when I put that accusation to Rodgers, I can see it still rankles.

“It was unfair on every player,” he says. “The strikers obviously get the goals and Luis was also the one who started the press for us, set our intensity level, but he needed players around him.

“Look, his quality and imagination in the final third was amazing. When I came in I saw the strengths of him. He had been playing off big Andy [Carroll] in a 4-4-2 and people were telling me then he needed too many chances to score. We just tried to set up the team to get him in the right areas centrally with numbers around him.

“It was the team that flourished. I have a memory of the home game against Arsenal in 2014 when five minutes before half-time the stadium stood up to give the players a standing ovation. That was not for one player. As a young manager stood on the touchline – getting that warmth from a crowd that knows its football – it was a big moment, which told me we were on the right way.”

Steven Gerrard - Jamie Carragher interviews Brendan Rodgers: 'I was never bitter at leaving Liverpool – I let Jurgen Klopp live in my house'

Liverpool looked destined for the title until Jose Mourinho burst the bubble with Rodgers on the brink of immortality. Chelsea’s 2-0 win at Anfield lodged another theory in the football consciousness – that Liverpool had fallen into Mourinho’s trap of playing gung-ho football instead of taking the draw which would have kept their title hopes alive.

“You are going to get that, aren’t you? There are a lot of things said in hindsight, what we could and should have done,” says Rodgers. “I have heard the other one about us being overconfident. When you look at it before that game I did and said nothing different.

“We had won 11 games on the spin going into that game, making a quick start and playing attacking football. That was what put us in that position, including beating Manchester City at Anfield. We could not have played any other way and I have no regrets about sticking to that. Of 14 games at the end of that season we won 12.

“You know, when you watch it back we played well in the game for 70 minutes, Chelsea doing nothing. Then we lost a goal in very unfortunate circumstances before half-time. Even at the start of the second half we were doing okay. The only thing I would accept is maybe a more experienced team would have been calmer in the last 20 minutes chasing the equaliser. We only needed a draw and then obviously conceded another chasing it at the end.

"The story that went unnoticed was Jordan [Henderson] was unavailable for three of the last four games because of a last minute sending off against City. He was a huge miss for us that day. But as time goes on and you see the images and you realise how well we played that season so I don’t lose sleep about it.”

Suárez’s departure for Barcelona, allied to the winding down of Gerrard’s career, meant the title-challenging side unravelled, as did Rodgers’ tenure.

“We went so close and ideally you want to build on that but then you lose a world-class player. We lost our identity,” says Rodgers.

“It went a bit pragmatic to get results and I was not watching a team playing in the way I believe in because we could not press high from the front. That was not the journey I wanted to be on. Safe is death, to me.

“But you know that third season is arguably one of my best coaching years in terms of experience. We made Raheem [Sterling] the central striker and went on a great run, so from a coaching perspective it was good to see we could show aggression and find a way.”

The upturn was brief, Sterling the next to leave shortly before Rodgers’ exit in October 2015.

“Did you ever see Thierry Henry putting his hand on my knee after it was announced you had gone after the Merseyside derby?” I ask.

Rodgers laughs.

“When I received a phone call from Mike [Gordon, Fenway Sports Group president] on the way home from the Everton game, I understood where it was at. From their perspective, maybe I could have gone in the summer but they wanted to give me the chance.

“It was a tough start to that season and they felt it needed a change. Look, it worked out brilliantly for them. When Liverpool won the Champions League I sent them all a message congratulating them and Jurgen.

“I am the type of person who is happy for the club and especially happy for players like Jordan and James Milner – players I worked with and had a strong relationship with. I was so happy for Jordan when he lifted the Champions League trophy because I know how much he has developed and worked for it.

“I was never going to be bitter. That’s why I let Jurgen move into my house! I had a good relationship with Ray Haughan – the player liaison officer – and he told me Jurgen was struggling to find somewhere to live so I said, ‘Listen, I am moving to London for a bit and will not be there now, so Jurgen could move in’.

“I understand what it is like as a manager moving to a new place, wanting your family to be settled and happy. You want them in a good place. He took the house and has been there ever since.

"I wanted him to succeed and the club to succeed. He has great stature, a great presence, but he is very much with the players. You could see that at Dortmund. He brings that emotion into the team and they respond.

“That kind of connection with your players is a big factor in modern management. Society has changed. Players are treated differently to how when you were growing up as a player. It is a key. You can be a great coach but if you do not have the connection with the players… you need to find that emotional hook so that players will go that extra mile for you and sustain it.”

As I sit enjoying lunch with Rodgers, Leicester's players and staff before their trip to Anfield, it feels like he is creating a similar vibe.

His office – decked out with the usual tactics boards – is not so grand as the one at Melwood, but the club will move to a £125 million training facility before next season and seems well placed to, at the very least, challenge for a European place.

Saturday’s fixture will be a good barometer of how quick they are moving, although Rodgers still wants realism with the ambition.
“This team was ninth in the last two seasons, let’s not forget that. It’s a huge jump needed. I lived my dream managing Celtic, a club I supported. That journey will always be with me. But every manager and players will have goals and objectives they want to achieve in their career.

"Your situation can change very quickly. We won seven trophies on the spin and if I felt I could not take Celtic further it had to be the right club and I thought Leicester was too good an opportunity to turn down. The timing was not ideal but I left the team in a good place.

“I looked at Leicester and felt we could develop a way of working to improve the team. I see players like James Maddison, who is better than I thought when I saw him at Aberdeen and Norwich. He loves the game. Then there is exciting young talent like Ben Chilwell and Harvey Barnes.

"But I have to tell you, Jamie, the senior players, some of whom took a lot of criticism a few years ago - Wes Morgan, Kasper Schmeichel, Jamie Vardy Danny Simpson, Marc Albrighton – they have been absolutely magnificent for me. They train so hard every day and really care. They are winners, too. They have that mindset which really helps.

“It is still all going to take time. The gap has increased between the top and the rest of the top six, so there is still a big ask to close that. We spent £19million net in the summer and lost our centre-half, but it does not stop us wanting to challenge. I am loving it here and the challenge of taking the team up there.”

So finally, what reaction do you expect when you shake Jurgen’s hand and face the Kop for the first time in four years?

I was proud to work for Liverpool I will always be thankful for them giving me the opportunity. At 39 I was able to manage one of the great football institutions. I am just so looking forward to going back.”

I think that is the best interview with someone in football that I have ever read.
Still hard to believe we managed to attract such a talented manager.

Surely our players will want to be going at Liverpool? They are coming off a dominant win - OK, against wretched opposition, but we took advantage of that wretchedness in the ruthless fashion of a proper serious team - and they are talented, ambitious, (mostly) young players. Here is a chance to really test themselves.

I do hope the manager gives them the licence to go for it, and if he does and we lose 4-0 (which I don't think we would) I'll be less unhappy than if we just try and keep it tight and lose 1-0 (which I think we quite possibly would), tbh.

I went there once. Claridge scored. 1-1 draw.

My last trip was a one nil win for us with Ian Marshall scoring at the Kop end. Mind you, that night was more memorable as it was my first meeting with Boc!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263