Post Match Manchester United 1 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree, the set up was too defensive and narrow.

Our best defence is attack.

if he must play Wilf and Hamza then he needs to find the balls to bench one of Maddison and Tielemans unless he changes formation

What makes this defeat even more hard to take is the fact that, had we won, we'd be clear in second place.

The defensive lineup matched the defensive and negative mindset of the players.

Management are responsible for both on this occasion.

BR didn't have the belief to use a more threatening starting 11 and this rubbed off on the team

I cannot comment on the performance as I did not see the match. I would point out that when Gray came on as a sub against Bournemouth he was impressive and deserved his chance to start.
Hamza and Wilfred make us a strong defensive unit and there is an argument for picking them when we are away from home. Man U are not as good as a few years ago. However, my very limited views of them (Match Of The Day) suggest they are not rubbish and will be challenging for a top four place.
I would rather a Leicester player had been the best on the pitch. However, when Match Of The Day suggests McGuire was the best player it was the dignified response to those who let themselves down by booing him.

Is getting his name wrong more polite than booing?

Of course it is. Spelling his name wrongly was unintentional but booing is intentional

For some strange reason Microsoft has left Maguire off its spellchecker so I will have to add it. Things get worse. One of my favourite ever players Marcin Wasilewski is unforgivably left out.

It is difficult to find out the score for the match. The forum claims we lost 1-0. away from home. The BBC has copied this error and claims we only lost because Soyuncu (spelt with an accent over the y) made a clumsy tackle. Reading the comments on the forum it is clear that we were outclassed and lost by many goals.. Wilfred and Hamza were clearly torn part.
It is important to avoid any sense of proportion. We are certain to be relegated. Mr Rodgers . needs to join Puel - is the French Foreign Legion still going?

There was a quite odd interpretation of the rules for the penalty on Saturday.

In the challenge that was immediately before the ball broke to the Soyuncu/Rashford incident, Choudhury and Pereira clashed and the ball rolled down Pereira's arm and across towards the goal.

If Rashford had smashed the ball in from that ball, i.e. had Soyuncu just stood off and let him score, the goal would have been disallowed for hand ball.

However, as the next phase of play was a penalty challenge and not a goal, the hand ball was treated as accidental.

Hence the penalty stood and they won the game from it. As a VAR advocate, I think this is fecking madness.

In the challenge that was immediately before the ball broke to the Soyuncu/Rashford incident, Choudhury and Pereira clashed and the ball rolled down Pereira's arm and across towards the goal.

If Rashford had smashed the ball in from that ball, i.e. had Soyuncu just stood off and let him score, the goal would have been disallowed for hand ball.

However, as the next phase of play was a penalty challenge and not a goal, the hand ball was treated as accidental.

Hence the penalty stood and they won the game from it. As a VAR advocate, I think this is fecking madness.
Max Rushden has brought this up, if defending a corner it hits Chilwell on the arm, breaks to another player who twats it upfield and Vardy scores, technically would they have to disallow our goal and award the other team a penalty?

the VAR bloke giving them the tour basically said "well that's never going to happen is it?"

That's a very good point. That rule really needs sorting out.

The only player who stood out in that game was Daniel James IMO. Maguire had two moments of note, one where Gray had his pants pulled down by him when threatening to break, and one where Jamie Vardy got the better of him in a rare foray of ours into their final third...

I'm still pretty disgusted by our performance. Man U pressed aggressively and high up - our midfield by comparison didn't want to know and sat back leaving Jamie Vardy largely isolated. A small bright side is that disappointment now comes from not being able to put in a show against Man U at Old Trafford as opposed to falling 2-1 to fellow strugglers Ipswich Town in a relegation scrap or such like.. mark of how far we've come. But it was just such a disappointing game, that we just weren't up for it even given the context of their form, their injuries, our own position and potential etc....

Based on that belly tickling approach by us I ca t wait to see us live at Anfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757