Midfield Dynamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

In my opinion, what we are missing is an engine in midfield. We need a player in the mould of Lennon who gets well and truly stuck in. I have to say that Nalis has shown glimmers of this battling midfield type of player but hand on heart I do not think he can ever become the gritty player we badly need.

I really think that with a midfield dynamo we could win more possesion and get the ball into Connelly's feet where he is so dangerous. The chest height or, as is seen more often, head height passes that Connelly is receiving are not proving profitable, hence his distinct lack of goals. Get the ball into the guy's feet and we'll start seeing his goal tally go up and up.

Hopefully we will see a player come in on loan for the season who can provide a bridge to fill this void in our play. If not then we really need to be looking at a player we already have to do this job. Maybe Tiatto is the answer. Although he would technically be out of position I feel that he would provide a good solid engine for our midfield.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this one. Any suggestions of players we could get on loan or even players we currently have that can be the motor of our midfield?

Get your thinking caps on.

if nalis continues to improve at the rate he has done then he will be the man this season.

Joe_Fox said:
In my opinion, what we are missing is an engine in midfield. We need a player in the mould of Lennon who gets well and truly stuck in. I have to say that Nalis has shown glimmers of this battling midfield type of player but hand on heart I do not think he can ever become the gritty player we badly need.

I really think that with a midfield dynamo we could win more possesion and get the ball into Connelly's feet where he is so dangerous. The chest height or, as is seen more often, head height passes that Connelly is receiving are not proving profitable, hence his distinct lack of goals. Get the ball into the guy's feet and we'll start seeing his goal tally go up and up.

Hopefully we will see a player come in on loan for the season who can provide a bridge to fill this void in our play. If not then we really need to be looking at a player we already have to do this job. Maybe Tiatto is the answer. Although he would technically be out of position I feel that he would provide a good solid engine for our midfield.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this one. Any suggestions of players we could get on loan or even players we currently have that can be the motor of our midfield?

Get your thinking caps on.

agree completely, for short term (no pun intended) i think tiatto could do it, he has showed signs against brighton and watford, that he can be the battler in midfeild, lets face it williams and nalis can't play together they to similar.

I think this is what Gudjonnson was brought in for but hes not really been given a chance to show what he can do. Maybe he is struggling for match fitness with not having a pre season, however Idont understand why he hasnt featured for the reserves.

Billy Boy said:
Bring back Junior. :lol:

Draper is the right age now isn't he

Nalis and Tiatto in central midfield would be no bad thing IMO.

DurhamFox said:
I think this is what Gudjonnson was brought in for but hes not really been given a chance to show what he can do. Maybe he is struggling for match fitness with not having a pre season, however Idont understand why he hasnt featured for the reserves.

I'd go with that, reports about Gudjonnson had been good and just the sort of player that Joe describes, Nalis and Williams had shown moments together, but I agree they are too simular to play on a four.
Gudjonnson and Canero seem to have been the scape goats in the poor performances with being dropped, but then if MA had not changed things around he would have got stick for that.
The calls on here for a formation change would IMO sort out alot of the midfield problems and service to the front men, Williams does not become a bad player over night, he was touted as one of the best midfielders in the division last year, we all know about Nalis, stick Gudjonnson in the middle with both of them and I think that could work. Canero and Tiatto as wing backs? 8)

Fact is we have already brought in Williams, Gudjonsson and Gemmill to join Nalis in performing this role

How many more duffers has he got to bring in ?

Steve Thompson was at the Burnley game as the 'legend' they wheel out and I was speaking to him.

He, and good player he was too, was saying that as a midfielder he felt we had enough possession but if he was playing he would have looked crap as well for one reason: There is minimal movement up front given by Connelly/Dublin. As a brilliant passer, he felt that he was given the chance to make killer balls cause of the movement of Lowe, Speedie, Joachim and even Roberts.

He said he felt sorry for Nalis and the rest cause there was nothing to pass to. Also could be a reason why Williams hasn't shone yet.

Maybe Connelly is low on confidence, but Dublin looked tired and blake isn't going to do it, but i thought it was interesting.

Maybe the forwards movement (or lack of) is the problem but I still think the high balls that they are served with is the main problems.

Also, the midfield and forwards are becoming more and more frustrated and they are not working well together - they seem like they are on completely different wavelengths. The forwards are becoming frustratd that the balls being played in to them are crap which disheartens them and they do not run around and get into good positions, this means that the midfield get disheartened because the lack of movement means that they cannot pass the ball to the forwards on the ground to feet. I'm not sure who is to blame, I suppose it's a bit like which came first, the chicken or the egg.

To be honest I think that the best thing that could happen is if the forwards and the midfield sat down and had a chat about killer moves, strategy and tactics. This'll hopefully end up with some good link up play and both factions of the team listening to Radio GOAL rather than each listening to Hoof Fm and Radio Static.

Yes, let's blame the players again and again and again

and again

F*ck me

I think that the best thing that could happen is if the forwards and the midfield sat down and had a chat about killer moves, strategy and tactics

That's right, it's their job to do that isn't it ?
No one else at the club who has responsibility for this is there ?

That coffee is smelling mighty rancid to me.
Please wake up and smell it

Maybe JF can help,he likes to describe his 'movements' in detail on here.

highland fox said:
Maybe JF can help,he likes to describe his 'movements' in detail on here.

Not just bowel, not just bowel.

I will start a new feature on this forum called "Tactics with the Fox" in which I will outline some new 'moves' that I think we should use in hunt of our ultimate prize of promotion (and the Champion leagues in years to come).

Keep 'em peeled

flippin' heck. things aren't that bad are they?!?! :(

by the way JF, deal with your grammar - I thought you used to be spot on...

"Maybe the forwards movement (or lack of) is the problem but I still think the high balls that they are served with is the main problems."

everyone should stop playing amateur manager.

(cue shite) I think the midfielders should start playing killer balls to the forwards who should be making imaginative runs....genius....why aren't I England manager?!?! is this cm management crappo again?

that said, obviously MA is starting to lose the confidence of a lot of fans. I can't really comment on this as I've not seen the team play for a while apart from the goal highlights which we all know don't say anything about the way a game goes and how the team has played.

I'll be listening tomorrow anyway. Come on you blue boys! :)

SamJ

We should play 3 in the middle of midfield - Nalis, Gudjonsson and Williams that way we would have someone who can get stuck in and break play up, this would then free Nalis and Williams to get on the ball more and dictate play.

I feel sorry for Williams he is obviously a class player who can pass the ball about, but he is not being able to demonstrate that ability due to the tactics being implemented by the manager, he is therefore being asked to do a job that he is not suited for.

1) If Micky is going to adopt these hoofball tactics why for one did he bother to sign Williams cos he doesnt fit in with that style of play.

2) If he wanted to play this style why didnt he keep Mckinley ? He was perfect for the role micky wants his midfielders to play.

3) 4-4-2 isnt working with this group of players we can see that from the disjointed performances why is he so relunctant to change to 3-5-2 what has he got to lose ?

Answers on a postcard.

Totally agree KTF, McKinlay was excellent IMO.

I would love to see this side:

-----------------------------Walker

---------------------Dabizas--Keown--Elliot

Canero------------Nalis----Williams---Gudjohnsson------Tiatto

--------------------Scowcroft------Connelly

s.Fatso, makin, wright, belfast, wilcox

- why not eh? why bloody not... Shame Makin has to make way, but tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566