New Contract Morgan, Fuchs, Jakupović

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leicester City Club captain Wes Morgan, Christian Fuchs and Eldin Jakupović have signed one-year contract extensions to keep them at the Football Club until June 2021.

Morgan has made 310 appearances for City since joining from Nottingham Forest in January 2012, scoring 14 goals, and will now continue his Leicester City journey into a 10th campaign.

The 36-year-old has captained the side to the Championship title, the Premier League title and the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League, and continues to be an integral figure at the Club both on and off the pitch.

In a career that has spanned the top four divisions and well over 700 appearances, the experienced defender’s performances have seen him recognised in the Football League’s Team of the Decade, the Championship Team of the Year three times, as well as the PFA Team of the Year in 2015/16.

With Leicester City, Morgan has built a legacy that sets him apart as one of the Club’s greatest ever players and captains. Widely respected by staff, players and supporters alike, Morgan’s leadership has been one of the key factors in Leicester City’s success during his spell with the Club.

Fuchs has been a significant figure for the Foxes since his arrival from Germany in the summer of 2015 on a free transfer and has gone on to feature 132 times in all competitions, scoring three goals and providing numerous assists.

He played a key role in both Leicester City’s 2015/16 Premier League title win and subsequent UEFA Champions League run in 2016/17, and has put in consistently strong and reliable performances when called upon this campaign.

Alongside his solid defensive displays on the pitch, Fuchs has earned a place in the hearts of City fans through his willingness to engage with them off the pitch and appetite for taking part in the Club’s many community initiatives during his time as a Fox.

Jakupović, meanwhile, has spent almost three years with the Foxes since his arrival from Hull City in the summer of 2017, when Leicester City become his eighth professional club.

He made his debut for the Foxes in a goalless FA Cup draw against Fleetwood Town in January 2018, while his Premier League debut came in a 3-1 home win against Arsenal at King Power Stadium later that season.

Keeping Jakupovic allows Iversen and Johansson to go out on loan but I didn’t think he’d chose to stay as 3rd choice

Excellent.

The thought of Wes and Fuchs not being here anymore makes me very sad indeed.

We hold on to the foundations of that incredible achievement for on e more season

Fuchs is worthwhile adding another year to but not so sure about the other two, just blocking the path to the 1st team for younger players.

Fuchs is worthwhile adding another year to but not so sure about the other two, just blocking the path to the 1st team for younger players.
Jakupovic isn't blocking a path in my opinion, you want your 3rd choice to be 30+ so the young keepers can play, we have 3 senior keepers and 2 promising younger ones that need games.

A little surprised Fuchs stayed seemed like he'd be heading to the states but Covid probably meant his move wasn't there.

As for Wes, he obviously has great respect around the training ground but I hope keeping him won't hurt the future of Benkovic or Knight etc. but he could be staying to allow them a loan as well, this also depends on what we do with Ryan Bennett

Having gone on about our bloated squad, it would be hypocritical of me to support these decisions.

Giving Morgan and Jakupovic an additional year is inexplicable. Neither player is anywhere near starting. There would have to be a major injury crisis to see them play next season and it is sad that we would rather trust old players over young ones.

In our last game, we preferred Justin as deputy to Chilwell at left back leaving Fuchs on the bench. This suggests that his time as a key support player is coming to an end. So I'd say he's moving into the same category as the other two.

The only rationale is their influence off the pitch or just pure sentiment. My argument here is that if we cannot do without them for that purpose, there is something missing in the playing and coaching staff that needs addressing more effectively. Otherwise we'll never let them go.

The right thing to do is what we did with Simpson and Okazaki last year, and King this year. Morgan and Fuchs have been great players for us and I love them both but seriously? It's like staying with a girlfriend for too long when you know that it doesn't work any more.

Having gone on about our bloated squad, it would be hypocritical of me to support these decisions.

Giving Morgan and Jakupovic an additional year is inexplicable. Neither player is anywhere near starting. There would have to be a major injury crisis to see them play next season and it is sad that we would rather trust old players over young ones.

In our last game, we preferred Justin as deputy to Chilwell at left back leaving Fuchs on the bench. This suggests that his time as a key support player is coming to an end. So I'd say he's moving into the same category as the other two.

The only rationale is their influence off the pitch or just pure sentiment. My argument here is that if we cannot do without them for that purpose, there is something missing in the playing and coaching staff that needs addressing more effectively. Otherwise we'll never let them go.

The right thing to do is what we did with Simpson and Okazaki last year, and King this year. Morgan and Fuchs have been great players for us and I love them both but seriously? It's like staying with a girlfriend for too long when you know that it doesn't work any more.
I get what you mean with some of the squad (Matty James etc), but there are some who clearly add to it in other ways. I kind of look at Morgan & Fuchs as de facto coaching staff.

If our 4th choice centre back can make others better, by the influence that he has, then we are stronger as a result.
- Would I expect our 4th choice centre back to be of the same ability as our 1st choice? No, as I'm trying to be realistic here.
- Is he blocking anyone's path to the first team? Not that I can see.
- Would I prefer the money we would have to spend on a replacement for him to be invested elsewhere in the squad? Yes, probably, even if it just delays it by a year.

I’m happy with it.

Wes and Fuchs have made good contributions this season. They are happy with their roles (which is important) and more than capable of stepping in for a few games.

I suppose if keeping all 3 for another season means we don't have to spend money replacing them then it's worthwhile, especially if it means we can concentrate on buying other players, though I don't suppose they will make many appearances.

Club obviously feel it's worth keeping them around and given how well they've run this place over the last 10 years or so, I trust they've made the right decision - especially as these three are very much a known quantity.

I’m not going to contribute with something particularly rational or sensible. I can see both sides of the argument here....

All I have to say is that I ****ing adore Wes Morgan. I love hearing him speak, I love what I’ve read about him, I love the respect he commands. It’s a silly hypothetical scenario but I’d like nothing more than for him to become a great coach and manage the club one day.

I do realise that I lack sentiment. I think both Morgan and Fuchs have made it clear that they are not interested in staying on at the club. Morgan could possibly in a part time administrative role but he has business interests that he wants to pursue.

Maybe the Jakupovic decision means that Ward wants away. He's turning into a bit of a Conrad Logan with a career spent watching matches.

To be clear - I'm not advocating keeping Morgan & Fuchs out of sentiment. If Rodgers et al think the group is stronger with them present, then that's a good reason to keep them. I get the feeling that their strength isn't just what they offer on the pitch.

I would have thought that the uncertainty surrounding the competitions we're likely to be interested in for the next year would be a fairly obvious explanation why "steady as she goes" is the order of the day.

Maybe the Jakupovic decision means that Ward wants away. He's turning into a bit of a Conrad Logan with a career spent watching matches.
Clubs carry 3 senior keepers in their 25 man squads, Jakupovic staying is to allow Iversen and Johansson to get loan moves

It's a rationale decision. Fuchs was a perfectly adequate replacement for Chilwell last season. I have made no secret of the fact I'd like to have seen more of him. Morgan is more than just an adequate replacement; he commands respect and will help foster the spirit of 'togetherness' that has served us so well as a club.

Very happy with this.
Model professionals for the younger players to follow.
Perfectly good enough for FA Cup, League cup and the odd league game (against the lower end teams).
To add, the playing squad will continue to get access to high quality tattoos and clothing.

It wouldn't surprise me if all three get involved with coaching if they don't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757