New server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The site's been down for a couple of hours tonight due to a move to a new server.

As usual for this sort of thing, some ISPs might not update the DNS as quickly as they should, so some people might not be able to access it yet.

This move shouldn't make any difference to the site, it's the same spec as the previous one, in the same datacentre.

I'm still unable to access the site via my mobile signal, and I can see that there are a few people who are also still trying to access the site on the old server and seeing a message saying the site's down.
Unfortunately there's not a lot I can do about it, it's entirely due to ISPs ignoring the TTL settings on the DNS records, and caching the old one for far too long.
I would recommend that people don't use their ISPs' crappy DNS, but one of the alternatives. For example Google's - https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

I'm still unable to access the site via my mobile signal, and I can see that there are a few people who are also still trying to access the site on the old server and seeing a message saying the site's down.
Unfortunately there's not a lot I can do about it, it's entirely due to ISPs ignoring the TTL settings on the DNS records, and caching the old one for far too long.
I would recommend that people don't use their ISPs' crappy DNS, but one of the alternatives. For example Google's - https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
I would do that, if I had the faintest idea of what it means.

Oh, did I miss an H there?

This sort of put me off doing it;

Note: We recommend that only users who are proficient with configuring operating system settings make these changes.

This sort of put me off doing it;

Note: We recommend that only users who are proficient with configuring operating system settings make these changes.

But if Webbo can do it :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758