New striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Lad

I think we all agree that we were all petrified if Vardy missed a game for us or wasn't scoring.
Again, think the majority on here would have had a striker on the top of their shopping wish list for us this summer.
Now that Ian Nacho has shown what he is capable of when he given more than 20 minute cameos, has he just saved us a fortune this summer? I say he definitely has even though I am acutely aware that one (or three) swallows don't save a summer.
Thoughts?

He needs a partner, it's as simple as that.

His game is not remotely suited to him being a lone striker.

Unfortunately that means that we still need another striker as I doubt we will play 2 up top very often.

We still need at least 1 more striker, possibly 2 more if we are going to stick with 2 up front. 1 more to challenge for a place, and a young prospect who won't expect to play much but will learn for the future since our academy hasn't produced any recently.

If we keep playing as we are the logical replacement for Vards is Harvey.

And FWIW I think Brenda knows this and that's partly why this 3-4-1-2 is being implemented

Completely agree.

I think we still need a new striker - Nacho is playing unbelievably well at the moment but hard to know if that is just a run of good form or if that's here to stay... Either way, 2 strikers isn't many.

But I do think this system is a great solution to the "how to replace Vardy" question - it's often been said we can't expect a like-for-like replacement and trying to get one would be foolish. A two striker system would spread that burden and prevent the weight of expectation of being 'Vardy's replacement'.

But in the current system, Barnes could definitely play the role Vardy has played over the last few games - and could be a great route to bedding him as a striker to eventually play a central striker role too.

I think we might be back in the same position as before where we look for a right winger who could also play up front...

And FWIW I think Brenda knows this and that's partly why this 3-4-1-2 is being implemented

BR has been asked about Barnes as a striker several times. He is pretty adamant that Barnes strength is playing from wide and he isn't, and will never be, as effective through the middle.

BR has been asked about Barnes as a striker several times. He is pretty adamant that Barnes strength is playing from wide and he isn't, and will never be, as effective through the middle.

Vardy's played from wide a lot himself while we've been using this system. I think Barnes could do that same role.

Which, if we continue with 3-4-1-2, basically means Barnes doesn’t get a place in the team.

Which, if we continue with 3-4-1-2, basically means Barnes doesn’t get a place in the team.

The reason for the 3-4-1-2 is about availability.

If Barnes and Maddison were available, I'm pretty sure it would be something else.

Most people on here were howling anytime we played a back three until the last couple of weeks. It turns out that it's very effective if you have the right personnel.

I want us to continue to be adaptable in formations and have the element of surprise by switching. For example, in our next game I'd rather we revert back to the 5-4-1 that worked so effectively against Man City last time than roll out the 3-4-1-2 again.

But maybe with the players available this time, BR might have something different again up his sleeve. That's what good coaches do.

Two years in and the manager has the confidence in his players to ask them to play different formations. Whilst the players have the confidence in their manager to go along with it. That's great for us.

It wasn't that long ago that the players were completely incapable of adapting to different tactics from Ranieri or Puel. Now we do it routinely. That's because the coaching and the communication is much better.

Toney from Brentford would suit Leicester, he's good at holding the ball up, knows where the goal is and he would accept squad rotation.

Barnes in a front 2 would be nothing like Vardy and would be setting him up to fail. This isn't just about having the right attributes like pace, it's having the instincts to make the runs and take up the right positions.

Barnes' strength is running at defences and cutting inside, and he only really comes alive when he has the ball which he usually picks up deep. I have seen nothing to suggest he has any instinct to lead the line, make runs off the shoulder or make the selfless runs across defences to create space for others that Vardy does.

Barnes is very good at what he does, but that won't make him a good striker.

Barnes has struggled to finish at the level reqd as a striker ( chances against amount scored), Vardy is a one off and we will have done well to find someone as good.

I think Iheanacho has shown more than enough over the past 9/10 games to be part of a front two or three next year whether that be with Vardy, Barnes, or an other striker bought in to play some games.
His link play has been exceptional, with lots of examples of through balls, lay offs, 1-2s leading to chances and goals.
His movement and runs have been highlighted in post game analysis of Burnley, Brighton, Sheffield Utd and Man Utd games.
He has finished with his right foot and left foot from close range, left footed from long range and with his head from open play and set plays.
This has also been despite two of the biggest providers of chances (Maddison and Barnes) being absent from those games.
This is probably his longest continuous run in a side playing to his strengths (rather than him being played when we are below strength) and he has replayed the move by Rodgers in spades.
The stats bear out that he is a great finisher but now he is developing other stats to support that.
Hopefully he can return after the international break fit and ready to take the few chances we will get v Man City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757