Our bloated squad is damaging us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marshall’s first game for us was away at Charlton, starting alongside Junior Lewis in midfield. April 1st, appropriately enough.
Was that the one when Shaun Bartlett scored the goal of the season against us?

Lovely.

Charlton player sent off by Mike Dean as he’s loaded on to a stretcher?
Different 2-0 defeat, 6 months later. Junior Lewis was also sent off. Chris Powell played both games. Radostin Kishishev played the April game. Paul Konchesky played in the September one. I wasn’t at either.

ETA: **** autocorrect to death

If you look at the other 19 Premier League clubs, you’ll see we aren’t the only ones with a big stockpile of players.

But when you watch our under 23 games, nearly every other team is made up of younger players than ours.

The players who have broken through to the first team in the last few years (Chilwell, Choudhury, Barnes) have gone out on loan and done well when they were still teenagers. They benefitted far more from those loans than they did playing in the under 23s.

But when you watch our under 23 games, nearly every other team is made up of younger players than ours.

The players who have broken through to the first team in the last few years (Chilwell, Choudhury, Barnes) have gone out on loan and done well when they were still teenagers. They benefitted far more from those loans than they did playing in the under 23s.
Chilwell and Barnes basically bypassed the U23s

Chilwell played 29 games for the under 23s, Barnes 32 games.
how many compared to Hamza who spent seasons playing for them and Darnell Johnson? Those figures look like around a season's worth of games to me

There you go with your facts again. Wanker.
Hamza spent years playing for the U23s, Chilwell and Barnes played roughly a seasons worth of games and going on loan before being promoted to the first team, I'd call that pretty much bypassing the U23s when you consider how long Darnell Johnson has been playing at that level in comparison.

Johnson should be on his 4th or 5th loan by now if not sold or in the first team instead he had 1 loan, Josh Knight is another who should have had many more loans and has thrived when allowed the chance to play senior football, even if he isn't ready/good enough for us he could be sold for a decent fee

New but old member back, a different person so a different name, nice to see some old favourites still here!

For me if they are not breaking down that door already then to me they are no real loss. As others have said, Barnes, Chilwell and Choudhary have comes through so nothing stopping them.

If they go on to become decent players, so be it but we won't look back i'm sure. We're a completely different entity as a team now and we're one of the bigger boys. Dewsbury-Hall looks to be the next one trying to break through so we'll get the odd one every few years and thats good enough for me!

New but old member back, a different person so a different name, nice to see some old favourites still here!

For me if they are not breaking down that door already then to me they are no real loss. As others have said, Barnes, Chilwell and Choudhary have comes through so nothing stopping them.

If they go on to become decent players, so be it but we won't look back i'm sure. We're a completely different entity as a team now and we're one of the bigger boys. Dewsbury-Hall looks to be the next one trying to break through so we'll get the odd one every few years and thats good enough for me!
Welcome back! I tend to agree with what you say, I'm more than happy that Barnes & Choudhary could well be big players for us in the next few seasons.

Welcome back! I tend to agree with what you say, I'm more than happy that Barnes & Choudhary could well be big players for us in the next few seasons.

It's also fair to assume that the majority who 'don't make it here' wouldn't do so no matter the size of the squad. If you think about it the other way, if they did all make it then surely our first team is much weaker?

We have to have enough chaff to see the wheat.

To expect us to make premier league footballers from everyone who comes through the ranks is preposterous.

In addition, the England U18, U19 .. U23 squads are quite large aren't they?
It's inevitable that considering there's a 25 man England squad made up of 10 + years of people who may or may not have played in the England youth setup, in addition to the limited number of English players in the PL... What are the statistical chances of being part of England U18/9..23 AND then becoming an established PL player?

I'd have thought less than 5% do. Which put us above average, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757