Player contract situations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

Leading on from speculation about a new contract offer to TIelemans, I thought I'd look at the contract situation for our squad. We have a few really quite big decisions to make this summer. This is in the context of a massively depressed transfer market where getting value for players is going to be very tough.

My source for this is: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/leicester-city/contracts/

Firstly, there are a bunch of players who are out of contract in 2021: Jakupovic, Morgan, Fuchs and James being the senior ones. I really doubt whether we'd extend any of those deals this time. The loan deal for Under also ends and, again, I don't see a case for signing him for £20m+ so I'd expect him to leave.

Then we have a group of players going into their final year. These players need extensions agreed or to be sold for value or we risk them walking away for nothing in 2022. They are: Iheanacho, Ghezzal, Ward, Albrighton and Amartey. I'm not sure we'd want to be extending any of them. Ghezzal is obviously surplus to requirements. Albrighton is an interesting case - he'll be 33 in 2022. Would he merit an extension at that age based on his limited involvement and style of play (being a runner)? The other three are all back up players that you'd hope to be able to improve upon. From their individual perspectives, Ward, Amartey and Iheanacho may well look to run out their contracts and seek a pay day and free transfer next summer.

Then we have 2023. It is a common approach for clubs to try not to allow their main assets to get to less than two years left on their contracts. We have Schmeichel, Evans and Vardy due to expire then and it is highly unlikey we'd see Vardy or Evans stay longer. Schmeichel is a possibility but any extension would take him past 37 and there are very few keepers of that age in the PL nowadays.

Of the others expiring in 2023, we have some big players for us - Ricardo, Soyuncu and TIelemans - being the key ones. You would imagine that we are going to have to extend their contracts by this summer or we will have to sell them this summer. Otherwise, we risk losing them for nothing in 2023 or much reduced amounts in 2022. Soyuncu was offered a new contract ages ago but didn't sign it. Now it seems we're trying with Tielemans.

There are a whole bunch of players secured to deals beyond 2023 but these are big negotiations for the club to be undertaking at a time when our finances are pretty terrible. To be honest, it may well make more sense to prioritise the contracts of these players over spending money on transfers this summer. It doesn't feel like a good time to sell.

Leading on from speculation about a new contract offer to TIelemans, I thought I'd look at the contract situation for our squad. We have a few really quite big decisions to make this summer. This is in the context of a massively depressed transfer market where getting value for players is going to be very tough.

My source for this is: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/leicester-city/contracts/

Firstly, there are a bunch of players who are out of contract in 2021: Jakupovic, Morgan, Fuchs and James being the senior ones. I really doubt whether we'd extend any of those deals this time. The loan deal for Under also ends and, again, I don't see a case for signing him for £20m+ so I'd expect him to leave.

Then we have a group of players going into their final year. These players need extensions agreed or to be sold for value or we risk them walking away for nothing in 2022. They are: Iheanacho, Ghezzal, Ward, Albrighton and Amartey. I'm not sure we'd want to be extending any of them. Ghezzal is obviously surplus to requirements. Albrighton is an interesting case - he'll be 33 in 2022. Would he merit an extension at that age based on his limited involvement and style of play (being a runner)? The other three are all back up players that you'd hope to be able to improve upon. From their individual perspectives, Ward, Amartey and Iheanacho may well look to run out their contracts and seek a pay day and free transfer next summer.

Then we have 2023. It is a common approach for clubs to try not to allow their main assets to get to less than two years left on their contracts. We have Schmeichel, Evans and Vardy due to expire then and it is highly unlikey we'd see Vardy or Evans stay longer. Schmeichel is a possibility but any extension would take him past 37 and there are very few keepers of that age in the PL nowadays.

Of the others expiring in 2023, we have some big players for us - Ricardo, Soyuncu and TIelemans - being the key ones. You would imagine that we are going to have to extend their contracts by this summer or we will have to sell them this summer. Otherwise, we risk losing them for nothing in 2023 or much reduced amounts in 2022. Soyuncu was offered a new contract ages ago but didn't sign it. Now it seems we're trying with Tielemans.

There are a whole bunch of players secured to deals beyond 2023 but these are big negotiations for the club to be undertaking at a time when our finances are pretty terrible. To be honest, it may well make more sense to prioritise the contracts of these players over spending money on transfers this summer. It doesn't feel like a good time to sell.
Really? I never heard about this and I'd be suprised that he wouldn't want to sign a new deal.

Really? I never heard about this and I'd be suprised that he wouldn't want to sign a new deal.

It was widely reported last Spring that we were negotiating with Maddison, Soyuncu and Evans. BR spoke about it more than once. Two signed, one hasn't.

It could possibly be something to do with his injury but I doubt it. I think the links with Tarkowski are all about us selling Soyuncu and replacing him this summer.

I can understand the players in that position wanting to see if we can get Champions League football next season, and then wanting to negotiate a contract based on them being part of the team that delivered that. Great to be trying beforehand, but I won't worry about anyone not signing until we get to the summer

Why does anyone care? If players want to sign a contract, great. If they don't, then we sell them to some sap for gazillions and move on. You can't force players to stay and you can't blame them for chasing a doubling of their salary.

It's all hearsay and bollocks anyway. We know as much about what is going on as the media want us to. We have no idea as to the inner workings of contract negotiations or finances at the club.

Why does anyone care? If players want to sign a contract, great. If they don't, then we sell them to some sap for gazillions and move on. You can't force players to stay and you can't blame them for chasing a doubling of their salary.

It's all hearsay and bollocks anyway. We know as much about what is going on as the media want us to. We have no idea as to the inner workings of contract negotiations or finances at the club.
So you believe in a inner circle?

I think the only two of particular concern of any level are Youri and Soyuncu - both key players, important financial assets, and likely to have a long list of suitors. We need to get them both signed up to new deals.

Ricardo is definitely one we'd want to sort but he's had a long injury lay off and as he's probably one of our top earners I'd assume then he's at an age where you want to see that he is able to reach the same level now he's back before negotiating a new deal - if he has a good and injury free second half of this season I'm sure we will be trying to extend his contract. Any potential buyers will also want to see how he does before looking too. With 2.5 years left in his deal there's plenty of time.

All of the rest, we will keep if we want I suspect - they won't get offered better deals elsewhere if we want them to stay.

The only exceptions to that I think would be Ward and Nacho. We paid pretty big money for both and neither have featured in the way we'd want them to yet but probably also not played as much as they'd have hoped for themselves. But they're reaching a point in the next year or two where they will be needed more, so we need to decide whether we think they can be longer term solutions or we cut our losses - but we wouldn't want to lose either on a free.

With Nacho, I think we will be looking how he does the rest of this season and either offering him a new deal in the summer or looking to sell him.

It makes sense to go for tarkowski if we're selling soyuncu, as he is clearly of lesser quality to Fofana (whereas with Soyuncu, it's debatable) and would have less of a problem being benched for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263