Premier League 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The standard of defending in the Premier League is beyond awful.

Watching the Newcastle v Liverpool game and I'm bewildered by how poor the defences are. Some of the goals scored today have been far too easy.

What happened to man marking? What happened to keepers coming for crosses?

The modern coach seems to think that possession is the best form of defence. I think that's bollocks. The last decent Premier League defence was ours three years ago.

The standard of defending in the Premier League is beyond awful.

Watching the Newcastle v Liverpool game and I'm bewildered by how poor the defences are. Some of the goals scored today have been far too easy.

What happened to man marking? What happened to keepers coming for crosses?

The modern coach seems to think that possession is the best form of defence. I think that's bollocks. The last decent Premier League defence was ours three years ago.
In that season we conceded 36 goals as did second placed Arsenal. The following season, Chelsea won the league conceded 33 goals with Spurs in second having conceded only 26. The season after that Manchester City won the league having conceded 27 goals with Manchester United second having conceded 28 and Spurs third conceding 36. With 1 or 2 games to go this season, Liverpool have conceded 21 and are currently top with Manchester City currently second having conceded 22.

The evidence would suggest that our defence was the worst of the league winners since then and that the defending of top teams is getting better with each passing year.

Stats schmats

Look at the shower on display for all four goals tonight so far, and tell me defending has got better

It’s cringeworthy to watch

Stats schmats

Look at the shower on display for all four goals tonight so far, and tell me defending has got better

It’s cringeworthy to watch
I agree it's been horse shit in this game. But one swallow and all that....

Sorry, I promised never to speak of the swallow again, didn't I...?

In that season we conceded 36 goals as did second placed Arsenal. The following season, Chelsea won the league conceded 33 goals with Spurs in second having conceded only 26. The season after that Manchester City won the league having conceded 27 goals with Manchester United second having conceded 28 and Spurs third conceding 36. With 1 or 2 games to go this season, Liverpool have conceded 21 and are currently top with Manchester City currently second having conceded 22.

The evidence would suggest that our defence was the worst of the league winners since then and that the defending of top teams is getting better with each passing year.

Thanks for stating the bleedin' obvious.

Poor Liverpool they're going to have a 95+ point haul, lose only 1 game, and still rely on LCFC to do the double over Man City to have even the slightest sniff of the silverware we won by ten points only three years ago.

Funny in a tragic sort of a way.

After that result last night, I wonder if Mahrez is thinking about THAT awful penalty miss at Anfield and what it may cost them.....?

Anyone who can keep that sack of shit squad in the Premier League for another season deserves a medal FFS

On the other hand: they were much better earlier in the season, got found out, and then were utter tosh and nearly beat Cardiff to the drop

3 wins in 23 games. Looked nailed on to go down next season.

I can't see why it's a surprise. They've been awful.

He did a good job but it all looks like it's gone stale.

His style of football is dreadful.

I don't blame them for wanting something different to only just beating Cardiff to safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263