Reinstalling WinXP onto a new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

Existing hard drive is buggered. Want to put a new HD into the existing box so need to reinstall WinXP. Using a WinXP installation disk that had been used years ago but ensuring that I use the same product key that was used for the install on the buggered HD - i.e I am NOT trying to use a previously activated key. Product key not accepted. Could be that the install disk I am using will ONLY accept the product key that came with that.

Need to find a bog standard WinXP install method so that I can activate it using my legally sound product key.

Computer shop want £69 to do it - rip off!

Is there an answer? (Not Linux on this box!!)

Clone the existing HD if I can get it up and running long enough to do so?

Thanks.

The install disk shouldn't be key specific. Just call Microsoft and explain what's happened, they'll sort it out. I've done it before.

Could be that the product key doesn't match the version of xp that you're trying to install.

Have you tried using the key that came with the disc? They can be used more than once

The install disk shouldn't be key specific. Just call Microsoft and explain what's happened, they'll sort it out. I've done it before.

Cheers, I may have to try that.

Could be that the product key doesn't match the version of xp that you're trying to install.

Both WinXP Home

Have you tried using the key that came with the disc? They can be used more than once

Yes, and that works perfectly for the install. Can't really use it though as I suspect that I would have problems with verification when applying MS updates as the code is already in use and it was a single user license.

Could I change the product key once I had an install? Must try that......

Why are you bothering with XP?

Why are you bothering with XP?

Because the box has a license for it and it does what the recipient wants which is to run certain legacy software that won't run on later OS's.

Otherwise I would tend to agree with you, titman :icon_wink

My original copy of xp is happily whirring away on a number of pcs
there are only so many licence heys

My original copy of xp is happily whirring away on a number of pcs
there are only so many licence heys

I got the first bit, but any chance of a translation of the last bit? Ta :icon_bigg

EDIT - aha, Keys!

Actually, with the way that Microsoft structure the key using letters and numbers I bet it would be a few thousand years before they ran out of variations!

It gives far more options than the telephone system or car number plates!

Last edited:
Whereas I used to imagine Spion quietly listening to crap music, maybe toking on a pipe, as he relaxed in a comfy chair - I now see him with a red and wet brow as he continually battles the evil forces of technology.

Someone fix his LastFM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570