Should the players take a pay cut, so the non-playing staff do not have to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question but can the players be furloughed themselves seeing as their role has been completely null and voided currently?

Assume not as I can't imagine they get paid through the PAYE system like us plebs?

Would be a nice wake up call for a lot of them to live on £2.5k a month before tax.
I caught a short interview on the radio concerning the furlough procedure. Effectively the player wouldn't be allowed to follow any instructions issued by the club, e.g fitness programmes, nutrition, tactical meetings, video conferencing. It was said it would be difficult to police, but could be considered fraudulent.

I doubt it. He doesn't speak like him. My guess is Ben Foster.
He is well known for being a good bloke. I was just using the following potential hint:

J: “So has the club given you a training regime to keep fit?”

P: “Yeah, they have, but I know my own body. I know what I need to do. After all these years, you can feel it when you drop even just 5% of fitness. I’ll be blowing bubbles when we next play though.”

He is well known for being a good bloke. I was just using the following potential hint:

J: “So has the club given you a training regime to keep fit?”

P: “Yeah, they have, but I know my own body. I know what I need to do. After all these years, you can feel it when you drop even just 5% of fitness. I’ll be blowing bubbles when we next play though.”

Yeah. You wouldn't use that saying unless you're Wham or someone who sucks off chimps.

Just to let you know, they are taxed through PAYE. Some also have image rights paid by the clubs as well ,paid through their own limited companies, but HMRC have been pretty succesful over the last two or three years in reducing this route to a large extent. Players usually will have outside income ( boot deals, etc. ) put though their own limited companies.

I am always amused by how righteous we can be about 'them', the rich taking a pay cut. Everyone on here can afford a computer, or smartphone, internet connection, etc. Should we not all take a pay cut so that the poor of the world can have a living wage?

Doesn't seem quite so clear cut, does it?

If I were a high paid footballer I would ask the PFA to introduce a sheme to collect a progressive % of all footballers wages, set up a footballer commitee ( they could work from home) and ask clubs with problems paying their other staff to apply for a grant or loan. Any surplus money could go to community projects like foodbanks and local football, sports clubs. In this way the government continue to get the benefits of players income tax, rather than the top paying greedy clubs and players and footballers in general would improve their image, oh and name and shame those who refuse to take part!

I am always amused by how righteous we can be about 'them', the rich taking a pay cut. Everyone on here can afford a computer, or smartphone, internet connection, etc. Should we not all take a pay cut so that the poor of the world can have a living wage?

Are you seriously comparing the people on here with those earning around quarter of a million pounds every single month (and higher)

How strange

If I were a high paid footballer I would ask the PFA to introduce a sheme to collect a progressive % of all footballers wages, set up a footballer commitee ( they could work from home) and ask clubs with problems paying their other staff to apply for a grant or loan. Any surplus money could go to community projects like foodbanks and local football, sports clubs. In this way the government continue to get the benefits of players income tax, rather than the top paying greedy clubs and players and footballers in general would improve their image, oh and name and shame those who refuse to take part!
Or, you would go and buy another car!

I certainly don't get the money they're on but I would gladly pay more through taxes for a fairer society. Unfortunately any tax increase that governments put in place doesn't go towards that does it?

Fascinating.

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about players who had grown up in Africa and give massive amounts to the areas they are from - effectively providing schools, roads, clean water for villages at a time. The article argued that these players (sorry, I can't remember names) felt a duty to do so which was reflected in their seeking to maximise their earnings over their short career, sometimes to the detriment of their relationship with fans in their host country and club. Would I feel comfortable with such a player having to literally turn the taps off at home in order to make some people here slightly more comfortable? I'm not so sure that I do. We should stop and think what this virus is likely to do to some of those cities and countries that do not have our well-developed (if not always well managed) public health services and hospitals.

Likewise, I was working in a bank in Leeds when Ferdinand moved to Dirty Leeds and happened to see some of the details of the mortgage he took out to buy his home there. This was a year-long arrangement which would have taken about half of his reported income. Yes, it was a lot of money and I'm sure a very nice place indeed - but I can well imagine that other players are using similar financial products. Should we be happy that an enforced paycut should lead a player at the start of their career to lose their home?

I do rather think that the players are being used as scapegoats by a government that wants us to be looking anywhere else but at what they have and have not done, both during and in the lead up to this crisis. EPL clubs themselves can easily afford the wages of their non-playing staff, especially considering that they have the option of furloughing to access the government funding and then topping up to the original level. The clubs below the EPL are in far more trouble as tickets and match day income are a much larger proportion of their income and they are less able to have any kind of cash reserve or access loans at decent rates - and their players are often on what some of us would consider a good but far from outlandish wage. This is where the real problem is, but nobody seems to be talking about it when they can point at the EPL instead.

jb5000 jb5000 I remember reading an article in The Guardian years ago about Yaya and Kolo sending the majority of their wages home to Ivory Coast to fund schools and the like.

A litle while back I heard some priveliged information on a well known overseas born Leicester player (no longer plays for us) who basicly sent most of his wages to his family back home.

the attack on footballers by the health secretary is just a distraction technique he's getting away with it because he isn't in traditional press conferences when some journalist would fire back about the billionaire owners and billionaire Tory donors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757