Speculation The completely irrational and totally unfounded rule changes you'd like to see, whether you've seen them in other sports or otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabrah

Motivated by the '5 subs in 3 blocks, half time doesn't count as a block' rule changes, here's a place for some rule changes you might like to see, to improve the game or otherwise. Or perhaps just to entertain the stato-type rule lovers and give them something to twiddle with their appendages over.

Inspired by cricket, only 8 of your players allowed in your defensive third of the pitch for the final 10 minutes of any match if the opposition, and then only if they're at home, are a goal down. It'd make for an exciting finale and add (further?) credibility to 'lump it up to the big man up top' and 'pump the crosses in' strategies. And piss off the likes of Guardiola and Klop in to the bargain.

Or, inspired by American football, only certain players can tackle in certain ways in certain areas of the pitch?

Or perhaps even numbered players can only tackle even numbers, ditto odd numbers.

Or you can only pass to a player who shares the same birth month.

Last edited:
A red card to be introduced for particularly stupid fans in the stadium.

(Not you, mabrah, obviously).

No points for a nil-nil draw. If you can't score at least one goal, you don't deserve a point.

Stop the clock when there are interruptions in play. Get rid of injury time and finish right at 45/90 minutes.

...Stop the clock, but make the game 60 minutes of play.

I read about something similar a couple of months ago. Two timed thirty minute halves, stop the clock for every break in play. Apparently it works out at about the same amount of playing time and each half would be getting on for forty five minutes duration.

Even as a kid I was an arsehole.

I remember betting a mate that matches were actually less than 60 mins. To prove the bet, we both watched the 1984 FA Cup final with a stopwatch.

I won the bet.

Goalkeepers aren't allowed to use their hands

Now we have VAR to verify can we have red cards for diving?

Give free kicks for obstruction when defenders shepherd the ball out of play. (I believe this is already in the rules just never applied in those circumstances)

Goalkeeper not allowed to touch the ball with any part of their body outside the area

Even as a kid I was an arsehole.

I remember betting a mate that matches were actually less than 60 mins. To prove the bet, we both watched the 1984 FA Cup final with a stopwatch.

I won the bet.

When staying with relatives in the mid to late 60's I went to a game at Halifax and I remember for some reason there was an announcement just after half time that the ball was only in play for something like thirty two minutes during the first half. I was only eleven or twelve at the time so it didn't really mean a lot to me but my father was quite surprised and said that when he thought about it some more it made sense. That event has always stuck with me.

Compulsory cheerleaders for all teams

Add to this - all season ticket holders across the country are invited to vote for the favourite

The team with the girl who gets the most votes gets a special 'Fit Piece Bonus' three points at the end of the season
And the team with the girl who gets the least votes will be subject to a special 'Munter Penalty' three points deduction

All of this adds extra suspense to a close fought title race or nail-biting relegation finish

When the World Cup was in America, in '94, the yanks tried to push for a game of 4 quarters. ideal for their advertising.
With all these drinks breaks going on, I'm surprised, the advertising during the break, hasn't been pushed out.

Well, we are in unprecedented times !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758