Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2021 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchester United eyeing Wesley Fofana​

Wesley Fofana has established himself as an indisputable start in the defense of Leicester City, who are having a good season in the Premier League. The French defender is one of the players closely followed by Manchester United.​

In the opinion of many observers, Wesley Fofana is one of the greatest hopes of recent years in central defense. And if some could still doubt the ability of the young defender to evolve at the highest level, his first season in the Premier League has convinced the most skeptics. Undisputed holder in the defense of Leicester City, the former Stéphanois won without the slightest problem.

And what happens in those cases is definitely happening for the 20-year-old. Indeed, the performances of the defensive rock have aroused the curiosity of many English clubs who would like to enlist the native of Marseille, after only one season with the Foxes. This is particularly the case with Manchester United, who would like to recruit the international French Espoirs.

But the Red Devils can already be worried if they want to materialize the first contacts already initiated. The Mancunians had paid € 93m to secure the services of Harry Maguire to Leicester in 2019 after long weeks of negotiations. And given the age and duration of Fofana's contract (bound until 2025), he said to himself that it would be necessary to pay a similar sum to convince the Foxes. A not very obvious sum to be released in the midst of Covid-19 ...

If we don't start actually turning our good positions into concrete achievement then it's goodbye to him and a few others in the near ish future.

If we can actually try not to self implode for once then the prices will be silly.

If we don't start actually turning our good positions into concrete achievement then it's goodbye to him and a few others in the near ish future.

If we can actually try not to self implode for once then the prices will be silly.
exactly this.
even if we had qualified for champs league last season and this, the lure of money + profile of 'global club' + more likely route to latter stages of champs league is always going to tempt great players to the historically biggest clubs.
if it doesnt their agents will certainly convince them it should because its their pay dirt.
Fofana, Ndidi Tielemans and Soyuncu will be constantly speculated about all summer. this will double if we finisj 5th or 6th.
if they are all priced at the £60-100m mark then that should ward off most buyers as incomes have been so low and losses have been so high.

Interested to see what Iheanacho gets valued at if he finishes the season as strong as hes going now. Arguably he will hit 20+ goals this season (10 more games max to go and he only needs 6 goals).
what price is a 20+ goals a season 24yo premier league striker.....?

even if we had qualified for champs league last season and this, the lure of money + profile of 'global club' + more likely route to latter stages of champs league is always going to tempt great players to the historically biggest clubs.

Sadly, I think this (speculation etc) is going to be expected for at least a few seasons to come, if not the rest of all time. Until if/when we make that transition to a 'big club', we we always be fending off would-be suitors, or 'vultures' if you prefer.

If it's of any consolation (and it isn't to me) other clubs have it too, and worse besides.

There is a difference this summer. Football is skint. I can't see any club not supported by wealthy owners spending much at all net.

I think all the speculation about Haaland this summer is rubbish. He's simply too expensive for anyone this year to buy.

The interesting thing for us is whether we accept lower offers for our better players to enable us to do some trading ourselves. There will be lots of good deals on offer, especially for players with only one year left on their contracts.

I thought that we undersold Chilwell last year but it was a trade off between keeping him and not being able to sign Fofana. As it is, we replaced Chilwell with Castagne, which I think was a very poor trade but the bonus of Fofana actually makes it a good deal. At some point, it's obvious that we'll get much more for Fofana than we paid for him - no way will this be this summer though.

I think we only have Albrighton and Amartey going into their final year next season. I don't see that as a risk. However, we do have some serious worries about Ricardo, Soyuncu and Tielemans who all have two years left. Are they interested in extending their contracts? If not, they've got to go this summer if we can get 'decent' money and believe there are investments out there that make sense (like Chilwell for Fofana did).

I’d like to be ‘skint’ like the top Premier League club owners.
Chelski and Man Qatar can afford 20x Haalands!!

Really do think we could see one of Soyuncu or Ricardo going.

If we don’t sort Youri out long term I’ll be gutted, even if it’s inevitable one day.

Really do think we could see one of Soyuncu or Ricardo going.

If we don’t sort Youri out long term I’ll be gutted, even if it’s inevitable one day.

Youri is waiting to see whether we make CL it's as simple as that.

I doubt there will be many interested in Ricardo given how he has been since he has come back. Early days still but I don't like to say it but he really doesn't look like the same player since he has come back.

Youri and Cags are the most likely to go this year imo and the worry is if we don't get CL, it could be more than the usual one out to cover lost income over the past year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4181
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263