The Jamie Vardy appreciation thread

Do you think that matters?

I mean I see why it's something that is said. Basically on the basis that the PL takes a toll physically more than lower leagues. But is that really true? I guess only Vardy knows the answer.

I would've thought that with less state-of-the-art equipment at lower leagues it would take more of a toll on the body because of the quality of everything. For example something like a cryotherapy chamber or quality of the medical team, nutritionists, the fact that everything is done for the players.

That’s reckoned to be the reason another “stop-start” sport, tennis, has seen the top players (Federer, Nadal, Serena) staying at their peak into their mid 30s. Seems reasonable that the advances and emphasis on conditioning, nutrition and the rest will, overall, produce similar effects in top level footballers, if it hasn’t already.

That’s reckoned to be the reason another “stop-start” sport, tennis, has seen the top players (Federer, Nadal, Serena) staying at their peak into their mid 30s. Seems reasonable that the advances and emphasis on conditioning, nutrition and the rest will, overall, produce similar effects in top level footballers, if it hasn’t already.

For sure now that I think about it.
As recently as 10 years ago players in their 30s were often seen to be past their prime.
Nowadays top players are excelling well into their 30s. Luis Suarez, David Silva, Ronaldo, Buffon, Aguero are good examples.

It may be possible that Vardy gets ten good years in the Premier League. That red wine and red bull is working wonders...

Do you think that matters?

I mean I see why it's something that is said. Basically on the basis that the PL takes a toll physically more than lower leagues. But is that really true? I guess only Vardy knows the answer.

I would've thought that with less state-of-the-art equipment at lower leagues it would take more of a toll on the body because of the quality of everything. For example something like a cryotherapy chamber or quality of the medical team, nutritionists, the fact that everything is done for the players.

I always presumed it did. But your right. Maybe it's doesn't. I don't have the data to back it up

I think we have another 3 seasons of Vardy.

Unlike a lot of players he wasn't playing at the top level from early on in his career. Most good young players have played 100 games before there 21.

Sir Stanley Matthews, CBE (1 February 1915 – 23 February 2000) was an English footballer. - Matthews kept fit enough to play at the top level until he was 50 years old. Matthews was also the oldest player ever to play in England's top football division (50 years and 5 days) and the oldest player ever to represent the country (42 years and 104 days).

- Vardy's still got years ahead of him!

It would be more surprising to hear of a player that either Allardyce or Redknapp didn’t try to sign.

It would be more surprising to hear of a player that either Allardyce or Redknapp didn’t try to sign.

Wenger was the master of that too. Still, Allardyce's admission is uncharacteristically self-effacing from someone who is usually constantly blowing his own trumpet.

Wenger was the master of that too. Still, Allardyce's admission is uncharacteristically self-effacing from someone who is usually constantly blowing his own trumpet.
My favourite Allardyce story is the one where he almost had Robert Lewandowski in the bag for Blackburn but the Icelandic volcano went off and grounded all the planes in Europe.

My favourite Allardyce story is the one where he almost had Robert Lewandowski in the bag for Blackburn but the Icelandic volcano went off and grounded all the planes in Europe.

City also have a nearly signed Lewandowski story. Steve Walsh tried his best.

City also have a nearly signed Lewandowski story. Steve Walsh tried his best.
Could have had Robert Lewandowski and Danny Nguessan on the same pitch....

The way that he has adapted to a complete different style of play to become better than ever is simply incredible. His movement, pressing and join up play tonight was fantastic, even without the goal. He really is an all time great.

He was absolutely outstanding today, from the first minute to the last

The finest player we have ever seen

He was absolutely outstanding today, from the first minute to the last

The finest player we have ever seen

I said to my dad that we should be regarding him in the same way as Lineker at this point

Simply outstanding tonight. From first minute to last he was all over the Arsenal defence like a rash. He defines our team and it’s performance, leading from the front . Final minute he chased about 70yds forcing the ball back to the keeper to boot clear. He plays football like working class players of old, something you don’t see anymore.

That head to Gray in the second half....phew
That was a thing of stunning beauty, no one can do what Vardy does and somehow he just keeps getting better.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester3883
2Leeds Utd3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3966
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854