The Jamie Vardy appreciation thread

Exactly. England misused two fantastic players in the 80's and 90's when the team should have been built around them.

The very same said by a Portsmouth fan I know this week. Le Tissier could've been a great for England. Xavi reckons he used to watch Le Tiss and loved him - high credit indeed.

It was the same with Waddle, and to a lesser extent Gascoigne, we failed to use these talents in a way that really emphasised how good they were. Mind you, during this period we played to the strengths of Shearer, so swings and roundabouts in many ways.

The very same said by a Portsmouth fan I know this week. Le Tissier could've been a great for England. Xavi reckons he used to watch Le Tiss and loved him - high credit indeed.

It was the same with Waddle, and to a lesser extent Gascoigne, we failed to use these talents in a way that really emphasised how good they were. Mind you, during this period we played to the strengths of Shearer, so swings and roundabouts in many ways.
even Paul Scholes' passing ability became higher rated after he retired than when he was playing, around the time Xavi and Inesta were at their peak.

The British sporting public are slow to adapt their views, I just listened to Michael Cox's book In The Mixer where he talks about this a bit

Back in the 90's when everyone was raving about David Beckham, Eric Cantona was asked about him and he said that Scholes was a better passer of the ball than Golden Balls. I always rated Scholes higher than Beckham, his range of passing was better, he could do it with both feet and he was far, far better in the air (despite being shorter) than Beckham.

Interestingly I watched a documentary on the late Laurie Cunningham just yesterday. Although he never perhaps had the chance to fulfill his potential at Real Madrid due to injuries, he was another flare player that although played for the national team was not utilized as he should have been. He just didn't fit into the England team of that time.

Anyone remember him at Filbert Street? He had left by the time my dad started bringing me along.

Interestingly I watched a documentary on the late Laurie Cunningham just yesterday. Although he never perhaps had the chance to fulfill his potential at Real Madrid due to injuries, he was another flare player that although played for the national team was not utilized as he should have been. He just didn't fit into the England team of that time.

Anyone remember him at Filbert Street? He had left by the time my dad started bringing me along.
Cunningham was just before my time but I remember a debate about how John Barnes fit into the England team (incredible to think how little he played of the 1986 World Cup, especially considering the impact he had when finally brought on against Argentina) which had similar tones - this at a time when Hoddle wasn't getting played nearly enough. Meanwhile Waddle was pushed out on the wing for club and country, and wasn't used as a central playmaker until he moved to France. Flair players seem to have always been something not to be trusted, and safest out on the wings where they can do less damage - Le Tissier's notorious unwillingness probably made that an impossibility for him though. More recently even Joe Cole, who really should have been the successor to Hoddle and Gascoigne, found himself hung out on the side of Chelsea's midfield and barely given a chance in England's. Southgate's team in the 2018 was built around the whole idea of not having a playmaker, and judging from the opportunities Maddison has had since I'm not sure he's desperately keen even when one is knocking on the door. When people talk about wanting the England team to have 'DNA' or 'identity', they would help themselves by recognising that there is already is one still there, quite how negative and destructive it is, and that it needs to be aggressively excised before something new can begin

Back in the 90's when everyone was raving about David Beckham, Eric Cantona was asked about him and he said that Scholes was a better passer of the ball than Golden Balls. I always rated Scholes higher than Beckham, his range of passing was better, he could do it with both feet and he was far, far better in the air (despite being shorter) than Beckham.
no surprise that Cantona would rate the technically better player more, in that Audiobook they had a quote from either Xavi or Iniesta glowing about how much they admired Scholes as a young player.

God I love this man. He is so, so special. Much as I love that goal against Liverpool, my favorite is the one against Chelsea when Mahrez crosses from the right and he gets between 2 defenders and volleys home. Irreplaceable.

Until you watch the goals, it's easy to not realise how good a player he actually is.
Some of them are bloody good goals, and if scored by 'others' they'd still be creaming themselves over them now!
He doesn't just do tap ins :)

Until you watch the goals, it's easy to not realise how good a player he actually is.
Some of them are bloody good goals, and if scored by 'others' they'd still be creaming themselves over them now!
He doesn't just do tap ins :)
I don't think you'll find a better montage of goals scored. I'd love to see another candidate.

They just put out part two. Some absolutely astonishing goals in that, particularly the Spurs lob, the WBA volley and the superb team goal against Everton... but loads of others as well. Of note, some fabulous link up play from Nacho on a few of them, which I was surprised by.

Lovely little interview with Vards in the Athletic, talking about home schooling, the 100th goal, and lots of other stuff. his top 3 goals, Liverpool volley, WBA volley, WBA in the great escape.

and amazing that he has got a better PL scoring rate than Cole, Fowler, Drogba, Lukaku. Even with only 5 goals in his first season.

Jamie Vardy interview: Teaching maths, growing veg and celebrating goal 100
https://theathletic.com/1871635/202...southgate-rodgers/?source=user_shared_article

Truly hilarious

Henderson is not in the top seven players in his own team FFS

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3776
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3961
7Coventry City3860
8Hull City3859