The RIP Thread

Willie Thorne, only 66.

Walked up the steps to the Wembley entrance for our seats at the play-off Final in '96 alongside him and his wife. Had a good chat, lovely guy, lovely people :(

For those growing up in the 1950s Vera Lynn seemed to embody everything that was the worst in pop music. I favoured the wildness of Little Richard and the menace of Gene Vincent I am sure that rock and roll must have baffled DameVera. As for muddle of the road female singers of the 1950s Vera Lynn lacked the presence of extroverts like Alma Cogan and Lita Rosa. She never seemed comfortable with the new world of television,
I have come to appreciate Vera Lynn. Although she worked hard for the troops she became a star through radio. and was simply a singer rather than an all round entertainer.
Soldiers are a curious mixture. The men who sang the obscene version of Jane Morgan's "Bless Em All" were sentimental about home and desperately wanted to meet again
Vera Lynn was a good ballad singer although not as talented as Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald. However, in the time of Britain's greatest crisis she had an impact that Sinatra and Ella never managed.

World Cup winner Jack Charlton Aged 85
Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry and, now, Jackie Charlton. Old Nick has assembled a pretty strong back line on just a few months.

My favourite Jack Charlton story comes from the time he asked what made Sir Alf pick him. "Well Cohen and Wilson are always wandering upfield. You never know what (he meant Bobby Moore) God is going to do But you Jack. You're an idle bugger so I know where you'll be.

In fact the situation was more complex. At the start of 1958 Billy Wright was coming toward the end of a great career. Everybody knew Wright had a brilliant successor called Mark Jones. However Mark Jones was killed in the Man U aircraft Next in line was Peter Swan but he was convicted of taking bribes. This led to Jack Charlton.

I read that Jack Charlton was suffering from dementia Perhaps his passing was a relief; there are worse things in life than death.

My favourite Jack Charlton story comes from the time he asked what made Sir Alf pick him. "Well Cohen and Wilson are always wandering upfield. You never know what (he meant Bobby Moore) God is going to do But you Jack. You're an idle bugger so I know where you'll be.

In fact the situation was more complex. At the start of 1958 Billy Wright was coming toward the end of a great career. Everybody knew Wright had a brilliant successor called Mark Jones. However Mark Jones was killed in the Man U aircraft Next in line was Peter Swan but he was convicted of taking bribes. This led to Jack Charlton.

I read that Jack Charlton was suffering from dementia Perhaps his passing was a relief; there are worse things in life than death.

I met Peter Swan once, when we stopped off for a drink near chesterfield, after a game at Sheffield United In the mid 90’s.
There were England’s caps and photos on the pub wall, turned out he was the landlord. He was more than happy to reminisce his playing days.

I've heard from someone that ex City player Malcolm Manley has passed away.
He was always the nearly man as he never seemed to get a regular place over a period of time. Always gave 100%though
RIP Malcolm

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263
9Middlesbro4363