Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

I was told the other day that Leicester Tigers are no good any more. I've just checked out their situation and it seems that they might get relegated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47785893

As we kick off against Newcastle United on Friday night, the Tigers are in Newcastle in a relegation 'feck knows what' pointer.

I am thrilled at the prospect of their relegation. It's almost as good as Forest going down for me. I can't stand the Tigers and wish them nothing but ill.

Now the cricket team are fine by me. I can't bring myself to give a shit really but I've nothing against them. Same with the basketball lot that seem to do alright.

I hate Rugby. I hate the Tigers most of all. Their misery is my joy. If they were going bust and 5p from me would save them, I wouldn't give it to them.

Am I alone? Do others loathe the cuddly tiger, thermos loving, range rover driving wankers too?

No, I don’t loathe them. In fact, I work closely with them on our events and there are a lot of very good people who work there, doing very good things for the community and groups who need extra help. Not everyone at the Tigers is as you portray them.

I went a lot when I was a youth - City one week, Tigers the next - and had a couple of brilliant days out watching them win the knockout cups at Twickenham

But a long standing memory was when they used to read out the City score at half time at Welford Road, and if we were losing there were cheers and laughter aplenty from stuck up rugger loving wankers

I hated the bastards for that, and they have hated them ever since

Hope they get relegated

Remember when they used to get bigger crowds than us so expected to get first pick of when the sides played and so on?

And remember when they tried to get us to ground share but it fell down because they demanded to be the main owner and painting their colours everywhere?

Well, nowadays their average attendance is under 20k whilst ours is always over 30k.

This is from the Sporting Life:

"When a club is more concerned with building a hotel, rather than a proper coaching structure, then alarm bells must ring. The Tigers have always been about mud and mauls, not spas and fancy bars.

And this is why Leicester's crimes are far more serious than those of Quins or Saints. They had everything right and are now in a mess due to complacency, arrogance and ignorance. They sat in the the ivory tower, looking down and believing that standing still was the right way and that no one else would dare challenge them.

This is one of the reason's why I believe it would be good for Leicester Tigers to be relegated to the Championship".

:081:

I want all of the cities sporting sides to do well as it helps improve the reputation and pull of the city itself.

Once upon a time we celebrated having 1 of the best sports teams in all 3 of the major sports, that's what I want to get back to

The rugby team should be doing to the Notts equivalent what they do to our cricket team, taking all of their best players and lording it over them, not playing in the same fecking league.

I want all of the cities sporting sides to do well as it helps improve the reputation and pull of the city itself.

Once upon a time we celebrated having 1 of the best sports teams in all 3 of the major sports, that's what I want to get back to

The rugby team should be doing to the Notts equivalent what they do to our cricket team, taking all of their best players and lording it over them, not playing in the same fecking league.
I agree with every single word of this. Excellent post. Why in earth would I wish another team in the City any ill will? That just seems ridiculously childish to me.

Ah yes, but then you're just one step away from "Oh yes, I want all of the English football teams to do well in Europe", and after that you're as good as dead
Nah, you're allowed to hate Spurs. It's in the Magna Carter or something.

Tigers' "proper" name is Leicester FC, THE senior club in a town which isn't a traditional football area (my [comprehensive] school in the 1960s was rugby only - as were many others), compared with Merseyside, the North-East or even our Midlands neighbours in the various cities where professional football took root in the 1880s.

I've never had any problems supporting and attending Tigers games over the years, especially around the millennium, when, as LCFC were going bankrupt and stiffing a large number of local companies in the process, Tigers were in their pomp - the best side in Europe. You can still stand on the terraces, cheek by jowl with opposing fans, drink beer whilst you are watching - even the women fans are fit if you tire of the violence on the field. What's not to love?

It's an oddity that rather than celebrate our sporting City, this loathing of the egg chasers replicates similar inferiority complexes in two Yorkshire "Citys" - Hull and Leeds, where the historically more successful rugby league club puts the the later association football transplant in the shade.

Tigers have been left behind on and off the pitch in the last five years, they are one of the few top clubs with a wide, dispersed shareholder ownership (not unlike the Barcelona model of governance in football). As with the Prem, the game has been hijacked by the sugar daddy owners of clubs like Saracens, Wasps and Bath, which sees Tigers struggling to compete for the best [paid] players - the wage cap is largely ignored.

The good news is that the bedrock of their success over the last forty years, the spotting and nurturing of local talent, is still strong. They remain the best attended rugby union team even in their current parlous state, so I doubt whether we're going to see the back of them any time soon and when the pendulum swings its inevitable way back..

I agree with every single word of this. Excellent post. Why in earth would I wish another team in the City any ill will? That just seems ridiculously childish to me.

All sport is ridiculously childish if you want to be a wanker about it.

They did what we couldn't and beat Newcastle tonight....just

That the Tigers have lost their way saddens me. I grew up supporting, and playing, both football and rugby and the Tigers were a source of pride for me as a Leicester born lad. Indeed, so too was the city's entire sporting prowess.

The first game I attended on my return to Leicester in the early 80s was at Welford Road (much different now), Filbert Street followed. That was simply courtesy of the relative fixture lists rather than a preference though. As has been remarked, football and rugby have an entirely different crowd vibe and atmosphere. I appreciate the differences even if I prefer the atmosphere at football matches.

From my outside perspective, it looks like the Tigers hierarchy have made a number of poor choices over the last x years in response to the changing nature of the game. I hope they can get it back on track because I want to see the Tigers return to winning ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757