Post Match Watford 1 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was a poor match between two unfit teams lacking any real intensity or focus.

We played a lot of long balls which was surprising and those long balls were almost entirely ineffective. They did indicate a lack of fitness though. We set up very predictably and had absolutely nothing to offer that would have surprised Watford.

BR selected the line up I think we all expected. Barnes and Albrighton were not in the game anywhere near enough though so that left Vardy stuck without support. Maddison was also anonymous..

We had fifteen shots but only two of those were on target. There were too many lazy efforts that were typical of preseason. It was very similar to our first game this season against Wolves where we had sixteen shots with only one on target. Our set pieces were terrible too.

I thought Justin started pretty well but he faded quite badly and ended up making quite a few sloppy mistakes as the game went on. We missed Ricardo.

There were four moments of quality from City in the match. Two saves from Schmeichel, the shot from Albrighton and the goal from Chilwell. The rest was utterly forgettable.

There were four moments of quality from City in the match. Two saves from Schmeichel, the shot from Albrighton and the goal from Chilwell. The rest was utterly forgettable.
Not actually true for those of us who were unfortunate enough to hear Stringer's version of events. I, for one, will never forget how difficult it has been for him to get fence paint during the lockdown. Piper on the other hand managed to get some from a small supplier local to him. Lucky boy!

Oh and prizes for the most shit go to Maddison and Albrighton against some pretty stiff competition. Chilwell only saved himself from joining them with his goal which was exceptional.
I must have watched a different game Albrighton did well and was unlucky when he hit the cross bar. Madison delivered some outstanding set pieces and looked very lively.
Demari Gray changed the game and played well, if anything he should replace Barnes who yet again allowed chillwell to be over run far to often.

Not actually true for those of us who were unfortunate enough to hear Stringer's version of events. I, for one, will never forget how difficult it has been for him to get fence paint during the lockdown. Piper on the other hand managed to get some from a small supplier local to him. Lucky boy!
Resellers all over the county have been buying paint by the ****ing truckload. This suggests to me that Piper has more practical everyday use than Stringer. Anybody who has met both men will be unsurprised.

Forgot how much I don’t miss Stringer.

I dipped in on a podcast a couple of weeks ago and they did a whole segment on a hair transplant he got for himself in Turkey.

He makes it incredibly hard to give him the benefit of any doubt.

You can make five substitutions, but only on three occasions during the match.
Does this also apply in the case of injury?

I must have watched a different game Albrighton did well and was unlucky when he hit the cross bar. Madison delivered some outstanding set pieces and looked very lively.
Demari Gray changed the game and played well, if anything he should replace Barnes who yet again allowed chillwell to be over run far to often.
I think you must have.

Watching it again, it was just all a bit.... well.... devoid of quality. I get it though, it is difficult to just 'get back to normal' after such a long lay off. It was like a pre-season friendly and not at all representative of the types of games we should be seeing at the back end of a season with so much to play for, for so many. It just doesn't work.

As for the players, as much as Albrighton has been absolutely sensational for us, he was really poor yesterday. I think he is the kind of player that needs regular football if we are to see the best of him and if we can't offer him that then he should be used as a sub when necessary or let go rather than as a starting player every 3 games or so. Chilwell was, once again, shown up for his defensive frailties. He was dreadful at the back and our worst defender by a mile. His end product was also missing most of the time when we got up the pitch although that sensational goal was well worth the frustration. No doubting his talent going forward but a defender he ain't. Ndidi was also terrible yesterday along with Maddison. Again, it looked like they were in a training session. As for Maddison on set pieces, for the love of everything just get someone else on them or make him practise them over and over again until he can beat the first ****ing man.

Some positives: Schmeichel was excellent. Could he have done better with their goal? I'm not sure, I think he did well to get a hand to it. Evans was also brilliant and must have been frustrated by Soyuncu and Chilwell who were just not a strong as they need to be.

Justin was very good for the most part. He did fade towards the end as BN suggested but I think everyone did and I don't think it was a dramatic fade. His defending in the first half was superb and he won a lot of balls in midfield when he'd pushed up including a cracking challenge late on to breakup what would have been a good opening for Watford.

Gray changed the game. He brought energy and a desire to want to go forward instead of sideways or over the top. We have seen this type of performance from him before though and it's usually followed by a shit show the game after when he starts. Still, I think he needs to start the next game.

One thing is for sure, if we are going to play that way then Vardy is a waste of a body. He was hopelessly isolated and had no chance of getting into the game with everything going long. We are absolutely crying out for a different option from the bench.

All of everything said, Watford are tough to beat at home and their ‘up and under’ style is horrible to watch and play against.

Also extremely predictable in the last few minutes when they are 1 down and needing points. And yet...

I think if you look at this in the context of the rest of the games as well, it just felt like a start of season game where everyone isn't quite match fit yet - and most of the other games have looked the same.

Definitely agree with pop above that it's not what you expect to see at this stage of the season when there's so much at stake for all clubs, but think it's inevitable after such a long lay off and adapting to also not having the crowd there for motivation - all the games felt a little flat and that no one had quite got their fire back yet - until the Arsenal/Brighton game.

I'm sure it will start to come back quickly though, particularly with games coming around quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757