Pre Match West Ham v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Antonio is out, and it reads like he might be, then that'd sooth my own personal fears (re this fixture) a little. I've long rated the guy; he's fast and physical, and given us problems in the past. He may not be a prolific goal scorer but he's a handful.

I think so. My brain isn’t working. Can you explain it in a different way?
If you combine our form against the "big six", and their form against the rest, you'd have a team that was challenging Manchester City at the top.

So the thing to do would be to merge the two teams, have Brendan and our squad for the "big 6" games, Moyes and theirs for the other games... and this season the merged team would I think have 62 points. So still some way behind Man City.

If you combine our form against the "big six", and their form against the rest, you'd have a team that was challenging Manchester City at the top.

So the thing to do would be to merge the two teams, have Brendan and our squad for the "big 6" games, Moyes and theirs for the other games... and this season the merged team would I think have 62 points. So still some way behind Man City.
OK I'm with you. Cheers

It just seems to me that we pick up more points against the 'big six' than West Ham and they pick up more points against the rest than we do ... I thought a mix of the two may have pushed Man City?

Yeah all those wasted years playing for Manchester United and getting picked for England, what a twat
Picked for England LOL that is dragging the bottom of the barrel, they haven't won a single thing in over 50 years and won't anytime soon. Joey Barton, Seth Johnson, Jake Livermore and our Nuge even got a game

Picked for England LOL that is dragging the bottom of the barrel, they haven't won a single thing in over 50 years and won't anytime soon. Joey Barton, Seth Johnson, Jake Livermore and our Nuge even got a game
Scoring in and getting to the semi finals of a world cup is a bit different to tapping in a goal that was already going in against Andorra in a qualifier.

Southgate is living of those words "semi final of a world cup" but when you actually look at it Southgate had the easiest path to a world cup final ever and England blew it as normal, beating Tunisia, Panama and Sweden is hardly the stuff of legends.
He lost every game against any decent side.
So Jesse Lingard getting into a team with caps given out simply by who you play club football for and scoring against a medicore team isn't really much of an achievement.

Play for Burnley get picked for England in a world Cup quarter final and score against one of the bigger teams like Spain, Belgium, Germany, Croatia, Brazil, Argentina, France etc is a much bigger achievement.

It just seems to me that we pick up more points against the 'big six' than West Ham and they pick up more points against the rest than we do ... I thought a mix of the two may have pushed Man City?
So, considering we're not quite Big Six but not quite The Rest either, this should be an interesting match up. They've lost Rice and Antonio, two of their three best players, while ours are coming back to fitness. We should do this

Southgate is living of those words "semi final of a world cup" but when you actually look at it Southgate had the easiest path to a world cup final ever and England blew it as normal, beating Tunisia, Panama and Sweden is hardly the stuff of legends.
He lost every game against any decent side.
So Jesse Lingard getting into a team with caps given out simply by who you play club football for and scoring against a medicore team isn't really much of an achievement.

Play for Burnley get picked for England in a world Cup quarter final and score against one of the bigger teams like Spain, Belgium, Germany, Croatia, Brazil, Argentina, France etc is a much bigger achievement.
I agree that players get picked for England purely as an advertisement for the top 6 big money teams (look how sancho barely gets a look in and might even miss out this year simply because he plays in Germany!) but Lingard doesn't decide the rules. He's clearly not been wasting his time by winning trophies with manchester united and going to the semi finals with England, even if both of those achievements are mostly down to luck, with the easier draw in the world cup and because Man U hadn't signed a much better player in his position yet in Fernandes.

I think, if you're knocking Lingard, despite what he has done at West Ham, your mind is already made up on him. He has been fantastic for them and to deny that is like putting your fingers in your ears and saying la la la. I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, but people who are reluctant to hear praise about him are basing it on predetermined opinions.

I'm not knocking Lingard I'm just not going full on media frenzy over him because he's done good at WHU. He has been on the fringes at Man u for years with supporters at most clubs dreading being linked with him during the transfer window.
The best thing he can do for his career is to leave Man u and sign for WHU but by doing so this time next season it will probably end his England career.

Would I want him at Leicester, no as I think Maddison is better and what's the point on signing a 28 year old on huge wages to put on the bench.

I think Lingard has had a rough hand from Man Utd. Apparently he's had a rough time personally and family wise during lockdown which meant he wasn't performing well. He became almost a forgotten man and a figure of fun for commentators when he came on, talking about his shit record. I have no idea why moving to West Ham has given him the support and ability to play brilliantly from the outset, but it doesn't reflect well on Man Utd for me and OGS in particular. Watching Lingard against Wolves was ridiculous, they couldn't get near him. He looked quick decisive, confident and able to set up and score goals on his own.

I'm not knocking Lingard I'm just not going full on media frenzy over him because he's done good at WHU. He has been on the fringes at Man u for years with supporters at most clubs dreading being linked with him during the transfer window.
The best thing he can do for his career is to leave Man u and sign for WHU but by doing so this time next season it will probably end his England career.

Would I want him at Leicester, no as I think Maddison is better and what's the point on signing a 28 year old on huge wages to put on the bench.
Do you think Lingard would be on massive wages? I never really got the impression that he took that step to get a giant contract at Manchester United.

Do you think Lingard would be on massive wages? I never really got the impression that he took that step to get a giant contract at Manchester United.
Obviously 'massive wages' is a bit of a sliding scale. I'd say if he's on 70+, that's 'massive'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757