Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who’s that fit piece back in the studio ?

Quality :038::038::038:

Decent, but will have to improve to be the challenger they're expected to be. I thought the scots were unlucky to concede the penalty and improved in the second half. Deserved the goal and will hope to progress

Incredible performance from Team USA, putting 13 (videprinter: thirteen) past Thailand. Some very talented players there who never stopped competing hard long after the game was out of sight. Got to feel a bit sorry for the Thais, but the USians looked as good as I've ever seen them

I'd reserve judgement until you see them against a more capable opposition. Defensively, the USA Women's team has been suspect, somewhat flat footed, recently. The tonking of Thailand only really shows the disparity of teams in the competition. It's stating the obvious to say that against a more creative and incisive attack, the USA will have more of a match on their hands. I reckon England, for instance, would cause them problems.

Canada look pretty darned good to me. A team, and one full of technically adept players. They are a joy to watch.

Some really good passages of play in the first half, less so in the second half but a great goal to settle it after a quite tremendous goal saving tackle from Houghton. Meanwhile, oh Scotland....

All these twats who complain about womens football being crap really haven't a clue, there are some very good players involved in this tournament and some of the football played has been excellent.

For me, the turning point (re women's football) came when I started thinking of it as a different game (to the men's) and judging it in its own right and by its own standards. Then I began to appreciate the game for what is was. There are indeed some very technically capable players, and the vision and creativity is all there.

Yes, there are hugely differing standards but I feel that's testimony to differing levels of participation around the world rather than due to any inherent inability.

The standard of goalkeeping is the thing I notice the most. Absolutely appalling.

Agreed, standards are up across the board and the keeping if anything is markedly so. Karen Bardsley pulled off a remarkable save early in the Japan game yesterday - Dion Dublin rightly called it world-class during the half-time punditry. Two good bits of keeping have also been somewhat harshly overturned by VAR too.

The weaker teams in this tournament are much, much weaker than the best ones (The Thai-US game springs to mind, along with their 5'5" keeper) but in that regard it's no different to men's world cups of thirty years ago. Those men's teams got better by playing the best though, and I'm sure it'll be no different here.

Plus that ref the other night was well fit

You mean the one in those very figure hugging shorts? I know women (and probably men too) oggle male players' arses but it's the first time I've caught myself checking out a ref's backside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757