Çağlar Söyüncü

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micky

I was quick to laud Fofana as one of the best prospects I have ever seen but fair play to Cags, he is also a top class defender. Will he sign a new contract? I really hope he does.

I love the guy. He really is becoming a cultured CB. I can see there being bids come summer.

His short passes put us into trouble sometimes today but he wasn't alone in that. We're clearly trying to play out from the back as Rodgers wants, and Liverpool were pressing high. He looks relaxed and confident on the ball, I like that.

when Fofana is back I think Evans loses his place, Cags showed against Brighton he can be the leader and hold his place instead of roaming

Evans is a fantastic organiser, he's been a big part of the success of Maguire, Soyuncu and now Wesleyinho. I've no doubt that he'll be a great coach or manager if he wants it

In our best eleven, Evans keeps his place for me.

Yep, me too.

If that means a Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu back 3 then so be it. Both Fofona and Soyuncu like to maraude (Fofona more so) and, btw, both do it a darned sight better than the lumbering tractor trailer that was Maguire did! (although, admittedly, he was a laugh to watch when he did it) So we can accommodate one or other being AWOL from time-to-time. That said, both have also shown exemplary self-control on the marauding front in their latter games.

Maybe it means a bit of reshuffle and/or tactical rethink to play all 3 but I think our defence needs Evans' experience. For the foreseeable future anyway.

Yep, me too.

If that means a Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu back 3 then so be it. Both Fofona and Soyuncu like to maraude (Fofona more so) and, btw, both do it a darned sight better than the lumbering tractor trailer that was Maguire did! (although, admittedly, he was a laugh to watch when he did it) So we can accommodate one or other being AWOL from time-to-time. That said, both have also shown exemplary self-control on the marauding front in their latter games.

Maybe it means a bit of reshuffle and/or tactical rethink to play all 3 but I think our defence needs Evans' experience. For the foreseeable future anyway.
So which player drops out to try to shoehorn three defenders in?

Three centre backs has proven to only be effective this season against a certain type of opposition. It’s good that we have three quality centre backs for the occasion that this formation is suitable, but generally we’re going to have to have one on the bench.

So which player drops out to try to shoehorn three defenders in?

I don't know. Hence me saying a rethink would be needed. I'm only thinking of keeping all three happy.

As a general rule, you don't rotate centre-backs, less so substitute them, so it means one or other is going to be set for lengthy bench stays appearing only in 'lesser' fixtures. I wouldn't drop Evans to the bench, unless he has a decline in form of course, as his role in marshalling the defence is, imo, important. It's a lovely problem to have (as the cliche goes) but we'll have someone on the bench that is of serious interest to other clubs.

I don't know. Hence me saying a rethink would be needed. I'm only thinking of keeping all three happy.

As a general rule, you don't rotate centre-backs, less so substitute them, so it means one or other is going to be set for lengthy bench stays appearing only in 'lesser' fixtures. I wouldn't drop Evans to the bench, unless he has a decline in form of course, as his role in marshalling the defence is, imo, important. It's a lovely problem to have (as the cliche goes) but we'll have someone on the bench that is of serious interest to other clubs.
I agree, Evans needs to be a starter.

I think Fofana will be the one on the bench, and it is no secret that he came into our starting lineup earlier than planned due to our situation. There is no doubt about his quality, but he is inconsistent.

I think Fofana will still play quite a lot. If we go three at the back he’ll come in, plus if there’s any injuries to Evans/Soyuncu, plus cup and European games etc. I think/hope he would be content with that for a season whilst Evans starts to wind down.

I think/hope he would be content with that for a season whilst Evans starts to wind down.
I hope so. And I think so too but youngsters do get their heads turned. I really don't want to lose either Fofana or Soyuncu.

True enough, with games on a number of fronts there will be game time for all. I'm just a natural born worrier and it's in my nature to fear the worst.

It is such a shame that we are having to decide between these three. Oh how I miss players like Darren Kenton and Bruno Ngotty.

It's N'Gotty.

I can imagine us putting Evans, Söyüncü and Fofana into a back 3 if we get to the later stages of one of the cup competitions, ideally alongside ndidi, castagne and pereira.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757