Confirmed Transfer Ademola Lookman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Talented winger Ademola Lookman has joined Leicester City on loan from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig, subject to Premier League approval.

The 23-year-old made 35 appearances for Fulham in the Premier League last term, during a season-long loan spell, and has played for England at Under-19, Under-20 and Under-21 level.

Speaking to LCFC TV, he said: “I’m delighted to be here. It’s a great honour to be at such a big and amazing club with such a huge history and a quality group of players.

“The facilities are incredible. It’s pretty mind-blowing and I just can’t wait to get to work here. I think environment is very important for a player, so this is the right environment for me to work hard every single day and to help my craft be even better.”

Born in Wandsworth, in south-west London, Lookman signed for Charlton Athletic’s academy in 2014 and made a rapid ascent through the ranks to make his debut for the first team in November 2015.

Over two seasons, he went on to feature 49 times in all competitions for the Addicks, scoring 12 goals, before signing for Everton on a four-and-a-half-year-deal in January 2017.

He scored on his debut for the Toffees in a 4-0 win against Manchester City and made 48 appearances for them in total, finding the net four times.

Lookman enjoyed a brief loan spell with Bundesliga side RB Leipzig in 2017/18 and decided to make the move permanent in July 2019, signing a five-year-deal.

During his first season with the German outfit, he played 13 times, before joining then-Premier League side Fulham on loan for the 2020/21 campaign.

He made 35 appearances for the Cottagers in all competitions, scoring four goals, with his first coming against Sheffield United in October.

The England Under-21 international will now link up with his Leicester City teammates as they prepare to welcome Manchester City to King Power Stadium after the international break.

ADE! ADE! ADE!

Good signing and finally a signing in an area we need more options.

I still think we could do with another wide player coming in though, Perez and Albrighton both way off the standard if we want to push for top 4 or even top 6 this season given how others have improved.

A line breaker.... Just what we needed you miserable feckers.

My view of Lookman has mainly been affected by watching him at Everton. I was interested in him as he was linked with us when Walsh was in charge of recruitment and he signed for Everton the summer Walsh moved there. So I watched him with interest and saw a very disappointing player.

Lookman at Everton had one goal and two assists in 1,009 minutes of PL football - a goal involvement every 336 mins. In other words, he was piss poor.

For RB Leipzig, Lookman had 5 goals and 3 assists in 860 mins in the league. A goal involvement every 108 mins. Much better. However, they were still happy to move him on.

For Fulham last season, he got 4 goals and 4 assists in 2,765 mins - a goal involvement every 346 mins - piss poor again.

So, his PL record is 5 goals and 6 assists in 3,774 mins - a goal involvement every 343 mins. By any measure, that's just nowhere near good enough.

Last season, Barnes had a goal involvement every 150 mins. Maddison had a goal involvement every 163 mins. Perez every 442 mins, Albrighton every 289 mins.

He is a player that has always played from the left and we don't need another left winger, except maybe as a back up for Barnes. Although I'd much rather we use Maswanhise in that role.

It is utterly bewildering to me that we've signed him over many, many superior alternatives that have much better stats and would fit into our side much better.

Last edited:
My view of Lookman has mainly been affected by watching him at Everton. I was interested in him as he was linked with us when Walsh was in charge of recruitment and he signed for Everton the summer Walsh moved there. So I watched him with interest and saw a very disappointing player.

Lookman at Everton had one goal and two assists in 1,009 minutes of PL football - a goal involvement every 336 mins. In other words, he was piss poor.

For RB Leipzig, Lookman had 5 goals and 3 assists in 860 mins in the league. A goal involvement every 108 mins. Much better. However, they were still happy to move him on.

For Fulham last season, he got 4 goals and 4 assists in 2,765 mins - a goal involvement every 346 mins - piss poor again.

So, his PL record is 5 goals and 6 assists in 3,774 mins - a goal involvement every 343 mins. By any measure, that's just nowhere near good enough.

Last season, Barnes had a goal involvement every 150 mins. Maddison had a goal involvement every 163 mins. Perez every 442 mins, Albrighton every 289 mins.

He is a player that has always played from the left and we don't need another left winger, except maybe as a back up for Barnes. Although I'd much rather we use Maswanhise in that role.

It is utterly bewildering to me that we've signed him over many, many superior alternatives that have much better stats and would fit into our side much better.
Must be a reason though. Maybe the scouts/coaches have seen something we haven't. This one is a meh, wait and see. He's got the pace etc to cause damage, but it will be interesting to see if he has the end product on a more attacking team. Fulham were poor going forward. Not sure about Everton when he was there.

So he's shit but he's not as shit as Perez.

Job done then.

Must be a reason though. Maybe the scouts/coaches have seen something we haven't. This one is a meh, wait and see. He's got the pace etc to cause damage, but it will be interesting to see if he has the end product on a more attacking team. Fulham were poor going forward. Not sure about Everton when he was there.
Agreed. I do worry about the position issue, but I think this could go either way. Glad to get someone in though.

Agreed. I do worry about the position issue, but I think this could go either way. Glad to get someone in though.
In a world where Dan James is apparently worth 30m, it's possible every other right winger is out of our price range at this point. We are known for our scouting and recruitment and get it right more than wrong, so I'm happy to think that he would have been on one of our lists even if not at the top. I highly doubt we've just grabbed somebody who is available without having done the groundwork.

Well it’s a massive chance for him because we’re by far the biggest and best club he’s played for. Let’s hope he grabs it with both hands and earns a permanent deal.

Just to add to this, Everton scored 53 league goals in the 2018/19 season (when he played the majority of his games). Lookman didn't score; however, he only started 3 games. The other 18 were as sub. Not really a lot to learn from that.

Fulham scored 21 goals last season and he was their second highest scorer with 4 (their top got 5 or 6 so they hardly created a lot).

Not sure what this tells us, if anything, but it's probably not fair to base much on either club.

A Fulham friend said that he is quick and good at beating his man, but struggles to pick the right pass after that… so he is 2 steps ahead of Perez

The thing we missed so much when Barnes got injured last season was someone who could pick up the ball and dribble with it. Doesn’t have to be Maradona, just get the ball, hold off a man and run into space. It’s a cliche but defenders hate it.

HOPEFULLY Lookman, Soumare and a fit Ricky P solve this issue.

Well from someone who has paid no attention whatsoever (I will confess I haven’t even heard of him), this is a worry.

Lookman has scored the same number of goals as Gray in his career thus far (20 vs 21) and has played 80 odd fewer games.
he carried the burden for Fulham last season when they were often just playing Maja, Bobby Reid or a false 9 up front.
He's had the experience of having to go abroad to kickstart himself earlier than gray did.
I think he's a fair enough gamble and i hope he comes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757