Alternatives to Sky??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkshire Vixen

Thinking of binning Sky TV but still would like to have Sky Sports channels. I've heard of Kodi but not sure what it is, or what it does etc??? Would like to have a like-for-like package that we have with Sky (we have all the channels) but minus the price! Any advice/alternatives would be helpful :)

Now TV is a cheaper alternative. It's still Sky, but it's streamed via the internet, rather than via satellite. You don't get all the channels on it though. http://www.nowtv.com/
If you shop around you can often find a Now TV box with a 6 month entertainment pass for around £20. That doesn't include films, sport or kids channels though, they're available separately.

Kodi is a free media player that will allow you to have access to illegal streams, but you wouldn't get all the channels you have on Sky, and you can't expect it to work reliably all the time. It requires regular maintenance too, as some of the streaming add-ons get closed down and new ones replace them.

If you know someone with a Sky subscription who doesn't use the Sky Go access that comes with it, you could ask them if you can use their login. That's what I do. I have access to all the Sky channels via their website, and don't pay a penny for it.

I decided to bin Sky off last week and when my virgin plan runs out in October I'll be cancelling that as well. I recent bought a FTA Zgemma box £65 on Ebay which you can get all the free channels including HD channels all from the Sky dish and an plug in to the router. You can get all the SD channels including sky sports and BT sports and Sky movies BUT you need to buy whats called a c-line and upload it to your box this enables you to watch all the SD sky channels and it cost £100 for 12 months.
I also added a 1TB HDD so I can record programs, films, FOOTBALL pause, rewind etc. It's set up with a Sky skin so it look pretty much like Sky, I did that simply because my Dad is 82 and has had Sky from day 1 until now so he is so used to Sky I set it up like Sky.

Like Jeff has said Kodi, Kodi is on the box but you have to download it and install it but what I've found out using Kodi it is not that stable and needs a lot of updates to get it working properly and with Kodi you can use it like Sky go and watch it on a tablet or phone. I personally don't use Kodi I use IP-TV that is installed on the box and had roughly 25 different movies, sports, cartoons like channels. These are like websites that show all types of movies even movies that are showing at the cinemas.

I've left the best bit till last I bought this Zgemma box so I could watch all the Leicester matches live at home should I not be able to get down to the game which might be a bit difficult next season. I've downloaded a plugin called livefootball and it is already set up for the first few games of the season. I haven't tried this as yet so I can't tell you if it works or not but a friend of mine told me about this a few months ago and he has watch Leicester live for a few seasons.

The total cost was about £210 for the box, HDD and a c-line for 12 months be £100 per year there after. Since buying this I have discovered that there are other site that charge a lot less that £100 per year but these site usually don't last long and you lose your money so it may pay to shop around and find a trustworthy provider.

Hope that helps.

"Trustworthy"? The whole thing is illegal isn't it?!!
As far as I'm aware the Boxes are very legal they show Free To Air (FTA) channels there are lots of videos on YouTube showing them in action and how to set them up which is what I followed to set the box up.
The c-line you buy is legal but there is some confusion whether or not descrambling channels is legal or not but my guess would be no. I guess its a bit of a risk but my mate who told me about the boxes has had his years. I'm no computer wiz and don't no how u could be picked up that u are using these boxes maybe another member may shed some light on that.
I only bought the box so I could watch Our Team live next season defend our title.

As far as I'm aware the Boxes are very legal they show Free To Air (FTA) channels there are lots of videos on YouTube showing them in action and how to set them up which is what I followed to set the box up.
The c-line you buy is legal but there is some confusion whether or not descrambling channels is legal or not but my guess would be no. I guess its a bit of a risk but my mate who told me about the boxes has had his years. I'm no computer wiz and don't no how u could be picked up that u are using these boxes maybe another member may shed some light on that.
I only bought the box so I could watch Our Team live next season defend our title.

I didn't make the comment to pass judgement. I have streamed myself. My concern would be that any stream has a source and that source could be identified by your ISP. Whilst there are many totally legal sources and file-sharing/ streaming is totally legal, the distribution of copywrite content is not legal. Just be aware is what I would say!

I didn't make the comment to pass judgement. I have streamed myself. My concern would be that any stream has a source and that source could be identified by your ISP. Whilst there are many totally legal sources and file-sharing/ streaming is totally legal, the distribution of copywrite content is not legal. Just be aware is what I would say!
Thanks for that I didn't know streaming was legal or illegal but I guess it's no different to watching YouTube. That was what I thought about distributing copyright content online also but if streaming is legal and these boxes stream movies and sports etc I'm hoping I can find a channel or app that I can then watch Leicester Live this season along with the games on Sky and BT.

Thanks for that I didn't know streaming was legal or illegal but I guess it's no different to watching YouTube. That was what I thought about distributing copyright content online also but if streaming is legal and these boxes stream movies and sports etc I'm hoping I can find a channel or app that I can then watch Leicester Live this season along with the games on Sky and BT.
The act of streaming/torrenting/viewing online etc isn't illegal and gas many legal uses. Certain things are copyright though and thus illegal.

Walking into a shop and taking a leaflet without paying is legal. Doing the same with a TV isn't.

The act of streaming/torrenting/viewing online etc isn't illegal and gas many legal uses. Certain things are copyright though and thus illegal.

Walking into a shop and taking a leaflet without paying is legal. Doing the same with a TV isn't.
Thats a fair point and made me re-think I might of f***** up there. Cheers for the advice

I have heard though that simply viewing a stream of copyright content isn't actually illegal. The only person infringing the copyright there is the person providing the stream, not the people viewing it. Looking at something is okay, but downloading and possessing an unauthorised copy of it isn't, basically.

I've no idea how correct any of that is though and I cannot be arsed looking it up, it's just bloke down the pub said type of stuff. Does make some sense though.

Looking at the TV through the shop window is grand though

I have heard though that simply viewing a stream of copyright content isn't actually illegal. The only person infringing the copyright there is the person providing the stream, not the people viewing it.

Might be right for simply viewing a stream, but on any sort of file sharing or peer to peer type program you are helping to distribute the stream as well as viewing it.

At the very least it will be against your ISPs terms of service, so you could run into problems on that front, though it's unlikely to be more than asking you to stop unless you are prolific or persistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757