American Football

jb5000

I found the comment about american fans really interesting, sadly the thread had closed before I could reply but it got me thinking of British fans of American Football - generally speaking they seem to be very likely to be fans of either the Packers, the Patriots or the Dolphins. Me too. Is there anything noticable to american fans of this breed? I certainly can see that the Packers are somewhat the hipster choice, with the Patriots for the gloryhounds (and they even have England in their name ;-/)

Miles Away

I found the comment about american fans really interesting, sadly the thread had closed before I could reply but it got me thinking of British fans of American Football - generally speaking they seem to be very likely to be fans of either the Packers, the Patriots or the Dolphins. Me too. Is there anything noticable to american fans of this breed? I certainly can see that the Packers are somewhat the hipster choice, with the Patriots for the gloryhounds (and they even have England in their name ;-/)
Sorry for the late response to this. Dolphins do have a strange foothold in UK.

The Dolphins were a pretty dominant team in the late 80s and early 90s. Dan Marino was a god. He famously never won a Super Bowl and only appeared in one, but he is a historical great who spent his entire year in Miami. As a result they were televised a LOT in the early 90s in England. Marino and the dolphins is a bit like Jordan and the Bulls.

I think that, paired with the colors being pretty cool (the Charlotte Hornets has a similar global appeal for the same reasons back then) made the Dolphins a popular choice.

Packers are obviously the oldest, most “storied” franchise, and the Patriots are the most dominant of our lifetime. They’re also bastards.

pork pie fox

Sorry for the late response to this. Dolphins do have a strange foothold in UK.

The Dolphins were a pretty dominant team in the late 80s and early 90s. Dan Marino was a god. He famously never won a Super Bowl and only appeared in one, but he is a historical great who spent his entire year in Miami. As a result they were televised a LOT in the early 90s in England. Marino and the dolphins is a bit like Jordan and the Bulls.

I think that, paired with the colors being pretty cool (the Charlotte Hornets has a similar global appeal for the same reasons back then) made the Dolphins a popular choice.

Packers are obviously the oldest, most “storied” franchise, and the Patriots are the most dominant of our lifetime. They’re also bastards.
There was a lot of support for the Seahawks at Wembley this year. I figured that the Raiders would be the more supported team, but they seemed to be heavily outnumbered. Obviously in more recent times Seattle have been generally stronger, but I was still a bit surprised.

The teams with larger fan bases in the UK have seemed to be those who were pretty strong in the late 80s and through the 90s (Giants, Redskins etc), based on the crowds at the games in London, with the caveat that the “newer” fans are more likely to support people like the Patriots, as you say.

jb5000

It was fun to see the Nick Foles story go on a bit longer this weekend (especially for a Packers fan) but I can't see it going any further - the Saints are my pick for the big one this year

GreenFox

Being a Eagles fan for 35 years now and l have been to Wembley to see a few games with my Neice who really enjoyed the game.

I had the pleasure of seeing Dan Marino play in Miami against the Eagles in 91.The Eagles had a Defence you dream about and Randall Cunningham pulling the ball from under Center on Offense..... Good times.

I also had a season ticket for the Orlando Thunder as l was living there at the time.. Would be allowed to training sessions by the Team and you got a little peek behind the curtain to see these mammoths on both lines go at it. Sadly they pulled the plug on the Thunder and l was sorry to see them go.

Premier League

P Pld Pts
Liverpool 16  46
Leicester 16  38
Manchester City 16  32
Chelsea 16  29
Manchester Utd 16  24
Wolves 16  24
Tottenham  16  23
Sheffield Utd 16  22
Arsenal 16  22
10 Palace 16  22