American Football

jb5000

I found the comment about american fans really interesting, sadly the thread had closed before I could reply but it got me thinking of British fans of American Football - generally speaking they seem to be very likely to be fans of either the Packers, the Patriots or the Dolphins. Me too. Is there anything noticable to american fans of this breed? I certainly can see that the Packers are somewhat the hipster choice, with the Patriots for the gloryhounds (and they even have England in their name ;-/)

I found the comment about american fans really interesting, sadly the thread had closed before I could reply but it got me thinking of British fans of American Football - generally speaking they seem to be very likely to be fans of either the Packers, the Patriots or the Dolphins. Me too. Is there anything noticable to american fans of this breed? I certainly can see that the Packers are somewhat the hipster choice, with the Patriots for the gloryhounds (and they even have England in their name ;-/)

Sorry for the late response to this. Dolphins do have a strange foothold in UK.

The Dolphins were a pretty dominant team in the late 80s and early 90s. Dan Marino was a god. He famously never won a Super Bowl and only appeared in one, but he is a historical great who spent his entire year in Miami. As a result they were televised a LOT in the early 90s in England. Marino and the dolphins is a bit like Jordan and the Bulls.

I think that, paired with the colors being pretty cool (the Charlotte Hornets has a similar global appeal for the same reasons back then) made the Dolphins a popular choice.

Packers are obviously the oldest, most “storied” franchise, and the Patriots are the most dominant of our lifetime. They’re also bastards.

Sorry for the late response to this. Dolphins do have a strange foothold in UK.

The Dolphins were a pretty dominant team in the late 80s and early 90s. Dan Marino was a god. He famously never won a Super Bowl and only appeared in one, but he is a historical great who spent his entire year in Miami. As a result they were televised a LOT in the early 90s in England. Marino and the dolphins is a bit like Jordan and the Bulls.

I think that, paired with the colors being pretty cool (the Charlotte Hornets has a similar global appeal for the same reasons back then) made the Dolphins a popular choice.

Packers are obviously the oldest, most “storied” franchise, and the Patriots are the most dominant of our lifetime. They’re also bastards.
There was a lot of support for the Seahawks at Wembley this year. I figured that the Raiders would be the more supported team, but they seemed to be heavily outnumbered. Obviously in more recent times Seattle have been generally stronger, but I was still a bit surprised.

The teams with larger fan bases in the UK have seemed to be those who were pretty strong in the late 80s and through the 90s (Giants, Redskins etc), based on the crowds at the games in London, with the caveat that the “newer” fans are more likely to support people like the Patriots, as you say.

It was fun to see the Nick Foles story go on a bit longer this weekend (especially for a Packers fan) but I can't see it going any further - the Saints are my pick for the big one this year

Being a Eagles fan for 35 years now and l have been to Wembley to see a few games with my Neice who really enjoyed the game.

I had the pleasure of seeing Dan Marino play in Miami against the Eagles in 91.The Eagles had a Defence you dream about and Randall Cunningham pulling the ball from under Center on Offense..... Good times.

I also had a season ticket for the Orlando Thunder as l was living there at the time.. Would be allowed to training sessions by the Team and you got a little peek behind the curtain to see these mammoths on both lines go at it. Sadly they pulled the plug on the Thunder and l was sorry to see them go.

New season starts tonight!

hard to see past the Chiefs, but how are people feeling about this season? I won’t like the games as much without fans, but fortunately our fantasy league always gives me a reason to watch it anyway.

Just been reading about the tweaked playoff format, sounds like a silly excuse to squeeze out one more game for TV to me. Expect our football league to adopt it within 24 months.

I think we could well have a repeat of last year's Superbowl, both the Chiefs and the 49ers if anything look comparatively stronger in their respective conferences. As outliers I can see the Bills, Cowboys and whoever wins the wide open NFC North doing well though

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854